Author Topic: Retiring the name  (Read 2674 times)

Offline D2Disciple

• Major
  • Gold
  • Deal with it.
Retiring the name
« on: April 30, 2015, 07:53:56 AM »
So, over ten years ago when I began using my handle "D2Junkie," the word was popularly used for someone with an extreme interest in a particular subject, I. E. A horror movie junkie, a Corvette junkie, etc.

However, due to the recent increase of heroin and presription fentanyl related crimes and deaths, it seems the term has regressed back to its original meaning of an opiate addict who devotes his entire lifestyle to feeding his habit.

Alternatively, a new usage for the word has risen in our selfie- and sexting-crazed society, where the term "junkie" can be used to describe a self-taken photo of one's own genitailia.

As a devout Christian and a healthcare professional, I don't approve of the former lifestyle, and as a decent human being without a clue as to what's so great about sexting, I don't really approve of the latter, either.

While I'm sure everyone here understands that my handle indicates I just really, really love Descent 2, I understand there may be newcomers to Descent with the releases of SolC and D:U. Furthermore, though D2 is and remains my favorite installment of the series, I've grown to appreciate the other two games equally for what each game does for the series.

Because of this, I'm finally going to retire the D2Junkie handle in favor of something more indicative of my love for the entire franchise and less associated with addictive lifestyles. I haven't decided what, as of yet but I'll chew on it a bit and make sure it's something that I clearly identify with.  ;D
I, for one, hope this is much, much more than a reconnaissance mission.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
Re: Retiring the name
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2015, 10:03:34 AM »
I hear ya, though personally I don't think anyone would mistake the meaning of your name. I think it's pretty clear.

Then again, I'm not the one using the handle, so anyway, good luck, we'll miss you*!

*figurativly speaking, of course, sooner or later we'll figure out your new handle.   ;D
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Foil

• Gold
  • "I've never seen its equal."
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2015, 10:50:12 AM »
I suggest something close enough to the previous handle, that people will recognize it.  (When I went from "Foil" to "Phoil", people caught on quickly.)

"D2Aficionado"?  ;)

"D2Buff"?
"D2Fan"?
"D2Devotee"?
"D2Fiend"? (Hm, there's a "Fiend" who plays D3.)

Ah, what about "D2Disciple"?  That evokes both the fandom, and your faith...

Offline D2Disciple

• Major
  • Gold
  • Deal with it.
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2015, 12:21:00 PM »
I really, really Like D2Disciple, Foil. Thanks. It doesn't hurt that "Disciple" is the name of one of my favorite bands.

But, although the D2 prefix would certainly help others identify me, I still kinda want to get away from naming D2...

What about Desciple? I think it's kinda catchy. I could always use "Formerly D2Junkie" in the personal text space for a while to ID myself.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2015, 02:37:05 PM »
I'm not saying it's good or bad, but more people will think of you as a student/follower of Christ. I am myself, but to have a Descent name, disciple won't do it.

I've used Vanguard for so long, even though there's some company out there. "Are you vanguarding?"
But mine doesn't relate to sexting, drug use, etc...

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2015, 04:10:51 PM »
The only thing my username relates to is the plural Latin word for a specific kind of cup (kind of similar to your stereotypical trophy cup) :P

(in case you're wondering, no, I did not know this when I first "invented" the name all those years ago as a play on the phrase "sci-fi")
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline D2Disciple

• Major
  • Gold
  • Deal with it.
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2015, 04:34:10 PM »
I knew I could count on you, Scyphi, to teach me something new today.  ;D

The more I think about it, the more I really like D2Disciple. I get what you're saying, Vanguard, but it's not overly religious in its terminology. After all, it's where we derive the term "Discipline," and I'm reasonably disciplined in the art of Descent-ing. Not that I mind if it reflects my faith, but I try not to be heavy-handed and confrontational about it.

Oh, and since I apparently missed it earlier, congrats on your new arrival, Vanguard! Parenting level x1000 if you get him hooked on 6DOF at an early age  ;)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 04:38:57 PM by D2Junkie »

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets