Author Topic: Sol Contingency Media Updates  (Read 10897 times)

Offline homeyduh

• Silver
Sol Contingency Media Updates
« on: April 08, 2015, 12:54:58 PM »
This post is going to cover the updates that have been going on over at our Sol Contingency forums and I'll do a better job to keep you guys in the loop as things happen.

First, there are some preliminary screenshots of a map that I'm working on called Ice Breaker. The back story I have for this map is this:

Planet Phendrana was devastated when a meteor hit the surface, diverting it off of its normal orbit. Now that it is further away from its Sun, the whole planet has frozen over. There are massive blizzards that cover the planet as a result of the the change in orbit. All human installations were abandoned prior to the catastrophic event, but some of the machinery survived the climate change. Still performing maintenance, the robots of ISB-0215 have cleared upper levels of the facility, but were frozen in place when an insulated water reservoir was breached when the ceiling of the main atrium gave out. I chose the name Ice Breaker because of 1, the ice (duh lol) and 2, because I designed this map to be a balance of vertical and horizontal action to "break the ice" for non-6DoF players.

In addition to the map, Max also posted the soundtrack for Ice Breaker, which is Martin's Isolation

I hope you guys enjoy playing the map when it comes out!

Next, we announced our main ship for our Proving Grounds release: the Eclipse.

There has also been a released screenshot of our missiles of choice for Proving Grounds: The Dumbfire Missile and the Seeker Missile (names are WIP of course). There was also a screenshot of a bot that DuderSeb came up with (tentatively the "Stealth Hulk)

1/2 Hawk is an absolute badass when it come to UDK and UE4 and he designed this for use in his recreation of Neptune in Sol Contingency. It's like the classic screens in D1 and D2 with rotating bots, but in 3D! Fear not, the classic rotating bot screens are still around ;)

Keep your eyes peeled for more info! Feel free to hit us up at our forums or just PM me. We want to keep the Descent community involved with this game because we first and foremost want to make a game that we can be playing with you guys as a community. As fans. 1/2Hawk said it best when someone from the DU forums came over with some questions about microtransactions and other things.
Quote from: 1/2Hawk
...right or wrong we're not in it for the money - would rather be playing with y'all.

The concern for community involvement has also reached within our Dev forums:
Quote from: DuderSeb
I really want us to get more intimate with the community. I'm worried about this a lot.
Not only do I want to be a project that gets the community involved, but also I would love to be able to take all levels of feedback into account in order to try and make something that appeals to all just like Descent did.

Quote from: Verran
Same here. There's several reasons I, personally, haven't brought up and pressed this as an issue:

A tangible, working game is far more valuable than any talk: true feedback will come post-release
PG is a demo, so almost everything can be considered temporary (UE4 after PG?)
Sol C has limited development time & resources

For now, that's all, but we will be releasing some videos soon. I'll leave you with Verran's video of flying around our first announced map, Vertigo, using a Sidewinder Pro and trichording everywhere.
Sol Contingency mapper, Descent 1 and 2 fan, Community Relations, and all-around nice guy.

Twitter: @homeyduh

Offline Hunter

• Gold
  • Sectorgame
    • Sectorgame
Re: Sol Contingency Media Updates
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 12:19:19 AM »
Just one word: Awesome  8)
Sectorgame.com - Descent and Freespace mods/levels.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 03:11:52 AM »
I agree!!! Very very nice video :)

Sure made me miss the old mines

Offline homeyduh

• Silver
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 05:34:04 AM »
Thanks for that! We're planning on having some good video footage coming soon after the KS for DU ends (we don't want anyone to think we stole DU's thunder last minute), so keep an eye out for that!
Sol Contingency mapper, Descent 1 and 2 fan, Community Relations, and all-around nice guy.

Offline homeyduh

• Silver
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2015, 05:59:06 AM »
Here's an awesome teaser that we put out on our FB page XD

"Soon..."

Offline homeyduh

• Silver
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2015, 10:09:55 AM »
GAMEPLAY VIDEO UPDATE!

Sol Contingency: Proving Grounds - News and Updates!: https://youtu.be/MALCsPoP4FY

Offline homeyduh

• Silver
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2015, 11:11:15 AM »
Also, Max put up a FAQ page at our old domain, http://www.preparefordescent.com

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2015, 09:08:34 PM »
GAMEPLAY VIDEO UPDATE!

Sol Contingency: Proving Grounds - News and Updates!: https://youtu.be/MALCsPoP4FY
Very, very nice
* TechPro wipes away puddle of drool...

Offline homeyduh

• Silver
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2015, 09:35:01 PM »
GAMEPLAY VIDEO UPDATE!

Very, very nice
* TechPro wipes away puddle of drool...

Haha don't worry, you'll have your hands on it soon enough! we've been putting overtime to get this thing shipped out sooner. I feel bad for the devs in other time zones because some of them are up until 3-4 in the morning working or testing stuff when it's barely like 1 or 2 for me. We're gonna deliver this on a very strong note.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2015, 05:35:33 AM »
Can this run on Linux? I only have Linux Mint.

Offline homeyduh

• Silver
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2015, 06:23:52 AM »
Unfortunately, UE3 (what we're making the Proving Grounds demo with) doesn't support Linux. After PG, however, we are going to use UE4, which does support it. With that said, our PG demo won't support Linux, but our full game will definitely support it. Sorry about that :/

Offline homeyduh

• Silver
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2015, 12:39:06 PM »
New update on our player ship concepts!

Quote from: Duderseb
Check out the ship designs that we created before finally choosing the Eclipse! Also visible is the Talon, our current placeholder, featured in our recent team cast.
Cheers!

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2015, 03:24:03 PM »
Unfortunately, UE3 (what we're making the Proving Grounds demo with) doesn't support Linux. After PG, however, we are going to use UE4, which does support it. With that said, our PG demo won't support Linux, but our full game will definitely support it. Sorry about that :/

as long as I get a crack at it at some point :)

Offline homeyduh

• Silver
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2015, 03:44:31 PM »
Don't worry, you definitely will!

Until then, we're looking into adding additional weapons to what we've shown so far. I won't say any more ;)

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2015, 04:32:43 PM »
New update on our player ship concepts!

Quote from: Duderseb
Check out the ship designs that we created before finally choosing the Eclipse! Also visible is the Talon, our current placeholder, featured in our recent team cast.
Cheers!

I like the Talon. It actually looks like a fighter ship. The others look more like Descent robot rejects...which isn't necessarily a bad thing, either. :P
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets