Author Topic: Questions about Descent: Underground?  (Read 10841 times)

Offline dunkelza

• Silver
Questions about Descent: Underground?
« on: April 03, 2015, 11:47:13 AM »
Hi, I'm Dunkelza, the Lead Moderator over at the Descendent Studios forums:
http://descendentstudios.com

I wanted to stop by and see if people had any questions that hadn't already been answered on the Kickstarter page:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/descendentstudios/descent-underground

I'm happy to answer any questions I can- and to try to get answers for things I don't know.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
Re: Questions about Descent: Underground?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2015, 03:58:43 PM »
Well, here's a simple one to get the ball going that I thought of with the recent gameplay vid; when a player dies, will the ships still do that trademark "death roll" that appeared in the other Descent games? I mean, prequel or not, I can't really see any reason why not, and in fact, the death roll strikes me as even more fitting in a prequel as the whole idea of a death roll seems robust, like what you'd expect from a prequel like this.

Here's another; will there be equivalents of an energy center?
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline dunkelza

• Silver
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2015, 04:41:40 PM »
Well, here's a simple one to get the ball going that I thought of with the recent gameplay vid; when a player dies, will the ships still do that trademark "death roll" that appeared in the other Descent games? I mean, prequel or not, I can't really see any reason why not, and in fact, the death roll strikes me as even more fitting in a prequel as the whole idea of a death roll seems robust, like what you'd expect from a prequel like this.

Not sure on this one.  Probably a bit early for the guys to have thought through it.  It would make a great Wish List post on our forums, though:
http://descendentstudios.com/community/forum/22-wish-list/

Here's another; will there be equivalents of an energy center?

I believe so.  I don't have the specifics, but Rob mentioned them at one point, IIRC.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2015, 05:04:33 PM »
Not sure on this one.  Probably a bit early for the guys to have thought through it.  It would make a great Wish List post on our forums, though:

Done! :D
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline dunkelza

• Silver
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2015, 05:07:05 PM »

Done! :D

Thank you!  We want to hear from people.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2015, 07:03:10 PM »
Welcome to Planet Descent!
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline dunkelza

• Silver
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2015, 10:25:27 PM »
Welcome to Planet Descent!

Thanks for having me!

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2015, 08:15:53 PM »
I just want it to feel Descent like. Some of the same sounds can help. maybe the old Descent 1 music, that sort of idea.

This is a prequel to the first Descent? So no burners, headlights, guidebots, etc? or another type of equipment similar to it?
Descent 3 is rather old in terms of graphics compared to this game. Not sure how it would work, but Doom 3 was quite a leap from the old DOOM.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2015, 08:26:45 PM »
I don't see why there'd be no burners or headlights.  Those have already been invented in real life and this is in the future.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2015, 07:41:30 AM »
But they weren't in D1, so chronologically speaking, it'd make sense to either exclude them, or limit their use. I don't know, depends on what Descendant wants to do. In the case of the afterburner and headlight, I'm indifferent, so it wouldn't really matter to me too much...though I kinda would like my only option for a light source being just flares again like in D1.

Quote from: Vanguard
Some of the same sounds can help. maybe the old Descent 1 music, that sort of idea.

I wouldn't have my hopes too high for that, Vanguard. You have to keep in mind Descendant only has access to the Descent name, but not many of the other resources that had featured in Descent games, including the sounds, and especially the music. Though Descendant seems to be looking into the possibility of getting permission to use them, it's also highly likely they will end up unable to use them for legality reasons.

Best we ought to hope for is sounds/music that aren't quite the same...but in the same spirit as the originals. :)
Check out my deviantART

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2015, 11:16:21 AM »
I think you guys could at least do some recurring robot designs... even though it's a prequel, I seem to remember that the backstory for some of the robots like Old Scratch and Diamond Claw said that in-universe they were very old designs.

Offline dunkelza

• Silver
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2015, 12:06:17 PM »
I think you guys could at least do some recurring robot designs... even though it's a prequel, I seem to remember that the backstory for some of the robots like Old Scratch and Diamond Claw said that in-universe they were very old designs.

My understanding is that the robots are still being worked on, but if you look at the concept art for the Torch, I think there's a clear desire for people to look at some of the assets and immediately recognize the kinship.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/descendentstudios/descent-underground/posts/1166374

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2015, 03:19:04 PM »
That looks very Descent-ish to me... I could easily see that as a precursor to the Pyro.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2015, 05:51:41 PM »
Best we ought to hope for is sounds/music that aren't quite the same...but in the same spirit as the originals. :)

Agree. Something to still give it some Descent feel.

Offline Pumo

• Lord PuMo, King of Torbernite
  • Gold
  • Fear the Hosakos!
    • Pumo Software
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2015, 12:35:13 PM »
*Sigh* I can't help it but I'm still feeling a bit worried.
There are just 4 days left on the Kickstarter campaign, and it still needs 38% to succeed!

I know there will be a final rush on the last 48 hours of the campaign, but I feel afraid that it may not fully reach the $600,000 goal.
Please any Descenter here, unite and spread the word as much as possible and let's make this happen! ;)
Pumo Software main Website
- Pumo Mines current release: v1.1 (12 Levels)
R.a.M. Land official Website

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets