Author Topic: Descent reboot confirmed! (Descent Underground)  (Read 30028 times)

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
Re: Descent reboot confirmed! (Descent Underground)
« Reply #75 on: April 03, 2015, 09:24:32 AM »
Not bad, though it seems awfully spacious for such small ships, and I'll say it again; I can't help but feel there's something off about the physics. It being pre-alpha, though, I'm not sweating that too much just yet.
Agreed, in fact just posted in the poll thread. I think in modern game engines it's just too tempting to build large areas.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline dunkelza

• Silver
« Reply #76 on: April 03, 2015, 11:42:09 AM »
Not bad, though it seems awfully spacious for such small ships, and I'll say it again; I can't help but feel there's something off about the physics. It being pre-alpha, though, I'm not sweating that too much just yet.

Agreed, in fact just posted in the poll thread. I think in modern game engines it's just too tempting to build large areas.

The team mentioned in their weekly update video that the physics are still being tweaked:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9ztRVT465s

In BadNewBaron's interview today, Rob mentioned the scale and referenced the desired "2x2" tunnel size, which wasn't in the video:
http://www.twitch.tv/badnewsbaron/v/3985186

Offline Hunter

• Gold
  • Sectorgame
    • Sectorgame
« Reply #77 on: April 09, 2015, 07:42:02 AM »
Sectorgame.com - Descent and Freespace mods/levels.

Offline homeyduh

• Silver
« Reply #78 on: April 09, 2015, 11:46:18 AM »
I backed ask the way to Combat ready status XD
Sol Contingency mapper, Descent 1 and 2 fan, Community Relations, and all-around nice guy.

Twitter: @homeyduh

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #79 on: April 11, 2015, 08:58:04 PM »

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
« Reply #80 on: July 15, 2015, 12:47:14 AM »
*rises from the dead again*

Check this video: https://youtu.be/K06s2Yvf91E?t=22s
Notice the text in the rear view camera, and then in the next scene vs the Hellion, notice the name of the Black Shark and Smart missile (I laughed my ass off at that). Without a doubt, that's footage from my playthrough on YouTube :P
But I think it's cool that they used a piece of my video.

Anyway, I feel like voicing my opinion. It looks cool, but it doesn't have that Descent atmosphere. Idk if it's the design or the way they're marketing it. In that video, I suppose the Pyro looks alright, but to be honest it looks as thin as a potato chip. And that green ship that they launch along side it reminded me of the guide bot in the way that it had three wings to it, although it looks a little large to be effective. Overall I was not expecting these designs, and I mean that for every ship in the trailer. Ever since Descent 1, things have been designed to look blocky and industrial. Also the other ships look like miniature flying whales.

And on the marketing aspect, it seems like they're trying to sell is as a blaring AAA title. It's a really good way to get the word out there, but for some reason it seems like what they are doing is subverting the fact that Descent is supposed to have a dark atmosphere, you know? Scary robots and all, but it doesn't seem like any of that is there.

Also I am noticing that they are going for gigantic areas. Those did not work out too well in Descent 3 and I can recall making a few Magnum pilots rage while I flew a Phoenix out in the open. Basically all of the weapons flew too slow and it doesn't seem like Descendent Studios has fixed the problem.

Wingman seems like a cool guy, tho.

Tbh, I've put my chips in for Sol Contingency and I'm making gameplay suggestions and offering to help with the story. They're shooting for that dark and familiar atmosphere and are looking to right the old wrongs and keep the formula that works.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 12:52:46 AM by NUMBERZero »
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline Hunter

• Gold
  • Sectorgame
    • Sectorgame
« Reply #81 on: July 15, 2015, 02:16:35 AM »
All of the points you've raised have been discussed at length over at the DU site. Most of them are null and void points because the material you see in the trailer isn't the game, but just some basic assets whipped up for that trailer.
Sectorgame.com - Descent and Freespace mods/levels.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #82 on: July 15, 2015, 05:10:07 AM »
I would likewise urge you to pursuse the Descendant Studio site, especially their forums, NUMBERZero before being too quick to judge. Already they have made leap and bounds to address many of these concerns, and it would also explain why some of these things are the way they are (like the guide-bot look-a-like; not a guide-bot at all but a playable ship called the Typhoon).

The helicopter tail ships you see in both trailers are no more, so disregard them.

Size and scope has been adjusted since then to be more compressed; they didn't yet have this fine-tuned yet when they put together these trailers but knew it was going to need to when they made them and were quick to inform viewers of this intent, which they've made good on.

And there's plenty more, and Descendant's been both very open to fan input and have gone out of their way to try and apply it where possible so if there's something you have a problem with, tell them.

In short, DU's not fully in the clear yet...but it's definitely starting to step in the right direction.

Also lately I've heard more about it than Sol Contingency, which I haven't really heard any new updates about since this past spring.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline D2Disciple

• Major
  • Gold
  • Deal with it.
« Reply #83 on: July 15, 2015, 05:53:50 AM »
I think a lot of your concerns have already been voiced to the DU team, and I think you'll find that development direction is steering towards a more classic Descent approach as it moves forward. The team has been quick to point out that the trailer was essentially a hastily thrown together tech demo to boost backing.

Ship design: DU has scrapped all but the new Pyro (here known as the Torch) design and revamped the entire line of ships to look more in line with Descent.

Level design: DU is using D1's mines as a blueprint for how levels should flow and how fast-paced the action is. In a word, the giant open areas are said to be gone, for the most part.

Multiplayer: DU will, in fact, adopt a more Call-of-Duty-like experience progression system. However, when I voiced my concern that this would decrease the attraction of DU to old-school shooter fans like myself, who want a pure-skill challenge, Wingman personally assured me that a classic mode would be in the works to appeal to the D1/D2 crowd.

And basically Wingman's response is indicative of the development of DU. The developers take time out of their busy schedules to peruse the forums, answer questions, gather input, and generally be all around nice guys. It's a seriously transparent effort, and I think that transparency has helped to not only bring the descent community together in support of the game, but has also helped ease the initial tension between the SolC team and the DU team.  :D
I, for one, hope this is much, much more than a reconnaissance mission.

Offline PyroJockey

• Gold
  • Old school
« Reply #84 on: July 15, 2015, 07:25:33 AM »
The folks at Descendent Studios have been talking about releasing a new trailer. The current one was from when the Kickstarter campaign was still running and they have come a long way since then.
There are times you strive for greatness, to reach lofty goals and accomplish
noble deeds. Then there’s the rest of the times you just want to blow s--- up.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #85 on: July 17, 2015, 04:04:58 PM »
Quote from: D2Disciple
...and revamped the entire line of ships to look more in line with Descent.

Well...I don't know about that. The designs they've shown off thus far actually strike me as being rather peculiar in comparison most of the time, but I'm slowly adjusting to them.  ::)

It's loads better than the helicopter tailed versions from before, though...though I'll admit the red one looked okay...it had faint Pyro stylings and looked great head on...it's really that silly elongated helicopter tail that bugged me about those early designs...

Oh well, they aren't around anymore, so little point in dwelling upon 'em.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #86 on: July 19, 2015, 07:19:33 PM »
It also looks like they are taking a lot of direction from Drakona and Lothar.

8)
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline D2Disciple

• Major
  • Gold
  • Deal with it.
« Reply #87 on: July 21, 2015, 06:52:57 PM »
It also looks like they are taking a lot of direction from Drakona and Lothar.

8)

And that's a heck of a consulting group.  ;)
I, for one, hope this is much, much more than a reconnaissance mission.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets