Author Topic: Descent reboot confirmed! (Descent Underground)  (Read 30002 times)

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
Re: Descent reboot confirmed! (Descent Underground)
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2015, 03:15:29 AM »
How does one get excited for this when it doesn't even look like Descent? It's like that "Red Faction" bit that happened.

Offline Hunter

• Gold
  • Sectorgame
    • Sectorgame
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2015, 03:39:46 AM »
The assets you are seeing are just showcasing what they've got so far. I think it's been mentioned that these guys were originally working on a 6DOF game before being approached by Interplay to make it 'Descent'? I'm not sure of the details. It's early days yet, and these developers seem very open to taking on ideas suggested by the community (just take a look at Drakonas threadnought for some thoughts).
Sectorgame.com - Descent and Freespace mods/levels.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2015, 01:06:41 PM »
Been poking around their forums, trying to get more details on the intentions of the game. Found this thread to be particularly helpful. It's a thread where we, the users, can ask the devs questions about the game, and already they've racked up a good number that they have answered.

You can ask anything, though of course the devs reserve the right to choose not to answer a question at any given time, either because they haven't gotten that far in the game's development to have an answer, or it's a detail they aren't ready to reveal yet.

I just posted a number of questions, some just me being curious, others are actually quite pressing that the answer will likely determine my stance on this game.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Ionized

• Silver
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2015, 02:18:45 PM »
Hi,

Been stalking these forums for a while and feel compelled to have my say based on what I've seen so far.

This looks like a 6dof game with some interesting elements, like the deformable voxel terrain, but I can't help but feel that the Descent name is being used merely as a publicity grab here. I think it's going to backfire when people see that this game isn't like Descent at all (mining resources?). The ships designs revealed so far don't look like they were designed in the same universe as descent and it's going to look really out of place to ever see a pyro next to them.

I'm also sceptical about spending time on customizing the ships. It's really hard to get the balance right here, Descent 3's ships weren't that well balanced (in my opinion) and there weren't any customization options on them. Also Descent for me has always been a bit of an arcade game, spending time customizing the ship instead of blowing stuff up isn't very descent like.

This is feeling like Mechwarrior Online all over again (another game franchise I used to like), I have little interest in MOBA style games and will be backing SolC instead.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2015, 04:10:48 PM »
You and I are of like concern, then, Ionized, as I have many of the same fears.

However, my digging around the forums has turned up at least one detail, and that's the developers do have plans to introduce Descent elements, and promise they will be present. The reason they aren't immediately apparent is that the game's set to take place sometime prior to D1 (don't know how far prior just yet) and thus they're trying to shoot for a look that predates Descent, with the idea of eventually showing how the scene begins to be set for the Descent we know better.

But other Descent fans have made mention that they seem to have missed the mark with that intent a couple times over, and each time the devs seem to have taken note, so I'm going to be keeping an eye on things, in hopes that changes will be soon following to bring it a bit closer to the Descent "look" we all seem to agree is missing.

In the meantime, I, too, am more interested in Sol Contingency, because at least I know with confidence they're doing it right. Though I can see they've got good intentions and seem to genuinely want to try and get it right, I'm still on the fence about Descendant Studios. I worry they've already started off on the wrong track, and it's going to be hard for them to shift direction now. I guess we'll see.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Hunter

• Gold
  • Sectorgame
    • Sectorgame
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2015, 05:23:51 PM »
It's interesting that some of the background story (or suggested timeline) bears a striking resemblance to the timeline I created for my Hyperspace series.  :P
Sectorgame.com - Descent and Freespace mods/levels.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2015, 09:06:23 PM »
I can't help but feel that the Descent name is being used merely as a publicity grab here.

Kind of how I feel.
Maybe I'm wrong though. Maybe we'll see more of a "Descent" game farther down the road. Time will tell.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2015, 05:33:53 AM »
It's interesting that some of the background story (or suggested timeline) bears a striking resemblance to the timeline I created for my Hyperspace series.  :P
Well it is a very logical place for the setting to go, you have to admit.

I just posted a number of questions, some just me being curious, others are actually quite pressing that the answer will likely determine my stance on this game.
Heh... I know that technique.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 05:38:51 AM by Kaiaatzl »

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2015, 06:09:36 AM »
Well to be perfectly blunt, if I'm going to show any support for it, I want to know it'll be justified and not wasted.
Check out my deviantART

Offline Pumo

• Lord PuMo, King of Torbernite
  • Gold
  • Fear the Hosakos!
    • Pumo Software
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2015, 08:37:49 AM »
Well, I think that for getting more info the best would be to dig into their forums and check out all the questions and answers available:
http://descent-underground.com/community/

And also check all the videos they streamed where they make clear lots of points being asked by the community:
http://www.twitch.tv/descendentstudios

That way you can make your decision better.
Pumo Software main Website
- Pumo Mines current release: v1.1 (12 Levels)
R.a.M. Land official Website

Offline tueidj

• Silver
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2015, 07:21:59 PM »
Third, with all of that said, I'm already not liking this supposed "reboot."

In fact, I wouldn't even call it a reboot. I would call it a cheap MMO-driven Miner Wars knock-off meant to earn Interplay some quick bucks with the Descent name slapped on it as something of an afterthought to try and take advantage of the franchise's former fame.

It doesn't even have anything iconic to Descent in it. No familiar enemies, no familiar weapons, and there is no Pyro. Instead, we've got these...other ships with helicopter tails with funky physics and no...charm.

If it really was a matter that Interplay picked this game over Sol Contingency...quite frankly I think Interplay picked the wrong one. Sol Contingency was and still is most of everything I'm looking for in a Descent game. This does not.
I agree with this, and I'd also go a step further and say this whole thing smells like it's really Interplay pulling the strings for the whole project.
According to the kickstarter page, Interplay offered the IP to them. Meaning they probably saw the success of Star Citizen and approached Eric with an offer (possibly involving some of the cash they recently got from the Steam rereleases) to make a game for them. Then boom! "Descendent Studios Inc." is created, a brand new company with no previous game history, with the apparent goal of "developing fun and engaging PC video games." Yeah right, that's why their first (and most likely only) game is strongly tied to their brand name and is relying on kickstarter to get off the ground.
The game itself sounds suspiciously like a free-to-play/pay-to-win model (which is exactly the kind of bullshit Interplay would pull if they saw the chance) and afaik this has not been denied.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2015, 05:28:15 AM »
Descendant Studios insist that they entered the picture only after Sol Contingency was shut down, and that they therefore had nothing to do with that, and from their perspective, they could very well be right. From Interplay's perspective, though, the timing is just too good. I am convinced the idea for Descent Underground was hobbled together by them real quick in direct response to Sol Contingency...perhaps to curtail any other fan attempts of beating them to the punch of releasing the next Descent game.

Whatever the case, though, I already have been digging through the forums as Pumo suggested (and would likewise urge everybody else to do the same, it really does help give you a better idea of where the game stands at the moment) and save Interplay giving Descendant Studios permission to use the IP...that seems to be the full extent of their involvement for the moment. Descendant acts like they've been given pretty free reign on the project, so I wonder if Interplay's turned it over to them and then are sitting back and waiting for the profits to roll in while Descendant does all the work.

That sounds bad, but actually it might be a good thing, because if this is true (and I've already been probing for confirmation or denial of this, so we'll see) then it means Descendant is going to be in a flexible enough position to make changes as deemed fit in response to fan input. Indeed, Descendant's already stated that's how they want to approach this. So it could work in our favor in the end.

But I admit, this is more speculation on my part than fact. Some observations that, for the moment, happens to fit the facts.

Either way, something that should still be kept in mind is that while Underground's initial reveal proved to be...lackluster...for some of us, it should still be noted that the game is still very, very early in development and is not set in stone yet. I fully expect Descendant is going to be going in and making changes, especially seeing that we really aren't the only ones to voice discontent with what they've presented thus far. So while I remain skeptical, I'm still going to keep tabs on the project, in hopes they'll turn things around...preferably sooner rather than later. To be perfectly fair, though, their idea of a prequel is one with some good potential...I just worry they might not exploit it.

The game itself sounds suspiciously like a free-to-play/pay-to-win model (which is exactly the kind of bullshit Interplay would pull if they saw the chance) and afaik this has not been denied.

I've already made inquires into it along these lines. Still waiting for answers, and I hope they'll deny it being the case, but if this IS the direction they're heading, I'm going to voice strong disapproval to it.

For the moment, though, I really can't tell how they plan to operate this pitch. They've been either inconsistent, deliberately vague (which I can understand, keeping in mind spoilers and all of that), and more often just confessing that they haven't gotten all the details quite ironed out and thus don't have an answer they can safely give (as it's not necessarily final).

In short, I'm waiting for more details before making a "ruling" on that aspect. I would urge others to do the same for now.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 05:35:27 AM by Scyphi »
Check out my deviantART

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2015, 05:33:18 AM »
But other Descent fans have made mention that they seem to have missed the mark with that intent a couple times over, and each time the devs seem to have taken note, so I'm going to be keeping an eye on things, in hopes that changes will be soon following to bring it a bit closer to the Descent "look" we all seem to agree is missing.

The comparison to Sol Contingency is is that Sol C is being made by people who are Descenters first. They are making the game because they wan to play the game they are making. Descendant Studios doesn't seem to have that passion, that kind of drive. There's no real focus, no guiding vision, so to speak. That's my impression. They are making the game because they think it will sell. Evidence of this is abundant in the response to Drakona's post on what the game should be. The didn't respond right away, saying either yes that's what we are doing, or no, that's not the direction we are heading, they waited for the for the approval of the forum before they endorsed Drakona's vision. They discussed it amongst themselves, and finally after it was obvious Drakona had hit the sweet spot with the posters in the forum, they gave her and Lothar some kind of an award.

Now, if Darkona had posted that to the SolC forum, it probably would not have aroused so much response, because to the Descent fanatics making SolC, Drakona's post is obvious, in fact SolC has many times stated it's goal, it's vision, is to re-create the original Descent experience in a modern game engine. But I think a response on the SolC forum would have been an immediate and unequivocal confirmation that that's what they are doing. There would have been no discussion amongst the developers needed, as they all know exactly what the game should be.

When I first saw the trailer for Descent Underground my first thought was 'Miner Wars'. Nothing like Descent.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2015, 05:38:07 AM »
And even Miner Wars, I feel, did it better, at least in comparison to what was shown in that trailer.

That being said, judging from where they seem to be in development, I'm starting to suspect that trailer was largely staged, and doesn't reflect actual gameplay too accurately. Interpret that how you will.
Check out my deviantART

Offline Pumo

• Lord PuMo, King of Torbernite
  • Gold
  • Fear the Hosakos!
    • Pumo Software
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2015, 11:01:37 AM »
I think this quick message from the developers deserves a read: http://descendentstudios.com/community/topic/957-urgent-kickstarter-backer-reach-out-brainstorming/?p=8752

;)

I think it would be a good idea to support this project.
Maybe not as much as SolC (as to me it seems to be the clear winner), but still it looks like a great effort that deserves to be supported by us Descent fans!

EDIT: Also, it seems that their KS campaign page has been updated with a better video and better info about the project.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/descendentstudios/descent-underground
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 11:40:09 AM by Pumo »
Pumo Software main Website
- Pumo Mines current release: v1.1 (12 Levels)
R.a.M. Land official Website

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets