Author Topic: Desktops 2015  (Read 15178 times)

Offline D2Disciple

• Major
  • Gold
  • Deal with it.
Re: Desktops 2015
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2015, 04:01:13 PM »
I quite like Windows 10 so far. I don't care too much for the Cortana bar, but I get why it's there and don't really mind it either. I did notice the new task manager is boss and I totally think it was worth the upgrade just for that.  :D Otherwise it feels pretty similar to Windows 7, which it replaced. Which is good, because I love Windows 7.
I, for one, hope this is much, much more than a reconnaissance mission.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2015, 05:13:46 PM »
I love Windows 7 too. Never ever have had a single complaint about it. As such, it made me hesitant to actually upgrade, because I was perfectly content with Windows 7. But, I then figured I was going to have to update eventually anyway, so since Microsoft was offering, I took it.

Windows 10 does feel very much like an enhanced version of Windows 7, so I'm well pleased by that much. :D
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2015, 07:04:16 PM »
Went with Linux Mint 17.1 XFCE, my favorite distribution of Linux so far.

I have LinuxMint 17.2, KDE; my favorite distro so far as well!

as for wallpaper:

http://imageshack.com/a/img537/2404/QClCmI.png

« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 07:07:20 PM by Linux.Blue »

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2015, 07:07:21 PM »
Went 100% Linux on my trusty old ASUS laptop today after running into some driver trouble with Windows 8. I could go back to Windows 7, which works great, but I've been using Linux almost 90% of the time by dual-booting anyway.

Went with Linux Mint 17.1 XFCE, my favorite distribution of Linux so far. Used one of the (both numerous and excellent) stock wallpapers, made some changes to the general appearance, and added a very cool, very simple hardware monitor.
I've got a laptop I've been trying to get Win10 upgraded (currently has an out-of-date Win10 Preview), but I'm thinking I might just abort that and put Linux on it, same distro as you (it's my favorite, too).

I need a good (and simple) hardware monitore that tracks GPU temperature for my Linux systems.  Know one you'd recommend?

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2015, 07:08:43 PM »
at the end of the year, it will mark 10 years on Linux. I LOVE it so much, and I am into LinuxMint. I may buy my mom and I a laptop from ZaReason with LinuxMint preinstalled  ;D
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 07:28:00 PM by Linux.Blue »

Offline D2Disciple

• Major
  • Gold
  • Deal with it.
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2015, 07:42:51 PM »
Techpro, I use Conky, which is basically a text-based hardware monitor that runs on the desktop and uses almost zero resources to do so. I keep mine simple with just CPU, RAM, and HDD bar graphs, but you can go crazy with it if you like. If I'm correct, you can program it (or find someone's pre-built monitor script) to take measurements of all temperatures, numbers, percentages, and whatnot of virtually every component on your machine. I've seen people have crazy setups where they measure upload and download speeds, individual graphs detailing each CPU core's load and temperature, amount of RAM and VRAM being used, current clock speed of the GPU, graphs showing read and write speeds of their disks, and even full weather forecast data in multiple areas of the world. Its pretty crazy what can be done with it. It just takes some time to set it up or to find someone's setup you like.  ;D

Google "install conky in Linux Mint 17" and there should be several articles giving a couple of simple terminal commands that should get it installed and started.
I, for one, hope this is much, much more than a reconnaissance mission.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2015, 09:08:16 AM »
I use Open Hardware Monitor - Core temp, fan speed and voltages in a free software gadget... Linux, Windows, no installation needed.

I have mine set to show CPU and GPU temp, and GPU fan speed, only because I had an issue with GPU temps. (the fan speed software for the GPU wasn't starting at boot)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 09:11:33 AM by -<WillyP>- »
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2015, 08:39:01 PM »
Been a while since I last posted a desktop ...

This is the brand-spanking-new installation of Xubuntu on a laptop I've been messing around with.  I had Linux Mint 17.1 Xfce on it (normally, that is my preferred distro)... but it was always being flakey, locking up, display freaking out, random loosing mouse control (but touchpad always worked).  I thought it was a problem with a memory module.

I slapped Xubuntu (my second most favorite distro) on it and thus far it has been flawless.

Offline DarkWing

• Gold
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2015, 06:42:04 PM »
I see you've got Conky running on that system.  Did you find a GPU temp monitor?  Nothing on that Conky shows the temp.

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2015, 06:25:00 PM »
I see you've got Conky running on that system.  Did you find a GPU temp monitor?  Nothing on that Conky shows the temp.
A number of the Conky files I've come across include a CPU and/or GPU temp, but they typically make one of two methods to obtain that data.  Unfortunately, one makes calls to Intel chip sets, the other to NVIDIA chip sets.  This sytem uses NVIDIA chip sets, but the Conky call fails to get any data. :(

I'm still searching.

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2015, 10:49:08 PM »
Here's my desktop. I've got it set to span across both monitors. One of the first actual desktop backgrounds I've had in recent memory, instead of just using the default wallpaper.

Offline Viper1999

• Silver
  • Now where was I?
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2016, 09:39:41 AM »
You guys want me to start a new desktop topic for 2016?

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2016, 03:27:31 PM »
Go for it!    8)
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets