Author Topic: Where do I find official campaigns?  (Read 3726 times)

Offline D2Disciple

• Major
  • Gold
  • Deal with it.
Where do I find official campaigns?
« on: July 29, 2014, 06:49:03 PM »
Hey all,

Recently relapsed back into my Descent addiction following the release of my first solo Christian rock album (yeeeeeeah, I know I never finished the remakes/remixes I was working on before, pleasedon'thurtmeiloveyouall  :o). The campaign I really got into? Descent: Maximum, which is one of my favorites - hugely entertaining with its bite-sized mines, even difficulty curve, relative lack of death traps, and fantastic level design.

So... Is there a place where I can - legally - get Descent: Missions of the World and D2: Vertigo? I've never had the pleasure of playing through these expansions... And I'm not really sure why I haven't, except for maybe the fact that I admittedly have never completed the D1 campaign without cheating and I am ashamed of it.  :P
I, for one, hope this is much, much more than a reconnaissance mission.

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
Re: Where do I find official campaigns?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 11:57:53 PM »
Hmmm. I know that I got Maximum from somewhere. Maybe even Vertigo as well. I am attempting to rack my brain trying to think of where I got them.
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline D2Disciple

• Major
  • Gold
  • Deal with it.
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 05:53:17 AM »
Maximum I found pretty easily at the DBB... I'm just not sure where to get the other out-of-print campaigns.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 07:14:40 AM »
Descent Maximum was originally for the Playstation exclusively. There is no official release of those levels that I know of for PC (or other systems), just a fan-made port of the levels.

Vertigo is a entirely different matter. I don't know if it can be obtained legally on the market anymore (did D2-for-Steam include the Vertigo levels?) except through secondhand venues like eBay.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline D2Disciple

• Major
  • Gold
  • Deal with it.
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 07:36:52 AM »
Just learned that Vertigo is up for download in the Descent 2 missions section on this website. ::facepalm::

If I recall correctly, the fan who ported the Maximum levels found Playstation-specific forms of HOG, HAM, and MN2 files and designed a tool to extract their contents and convert them into Descent-standard files. Maximum was a pretty crude port of the PC D2 with extremely small (but very well-designed) levels so as to keep from taxing the hardware and lower difficulty to compensate for the trickier control scheme. I'd like to get an actual copy one day to play through, just for the fun of it.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 08:22:10 AM by D2Junkie »

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets