Author Topic: Space Engineers  (Read 4871 times)

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
Space Engineers
« on: July 19, 2014, 08:33:47 PM »
My little brother recently directed me to this, and now I'm curious to see if any of you guys have heard of it, and what thoughts you have.

Space Engineers

Following Miner Wars, Keen Software House have been working on a new game furthering the abilities of their game engine to build a space-sim game where you can build or destroy structures in space, akin to Minecraft...only with a heck of a lot more detail and precision. It's only in alpha stages of development at the moment and rather barren looking and simple in terms of gameplay, but graphically is already looking very promising and it's gaining wide-spread attention (hence why I'm curious if any of you lot might have already heard of it).

Discuss! :D
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
Re: Space Engineers
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 12:48:58 PM »
Both my sons play it.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 04:39:35 AM »
I'm not really into that genre, but I still might check it out when it's actually finished.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 06:33:58 AM »
Nor am I, but the ability to create and destroy in detail such as that does interest me...would love to see that applied in a more single-player minded like environment.

If a Descent 4 is ever made, I would want it to have the destructibility and variable environment like this game...though maybe with a bit more fine-tuning still, but still a step in the right direction.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Viper1999

• Silver
  • Now where was I?
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 10:57:25 PM »
Nor am I, but the ability to create and destroy in detail such as that does interest me...would love to see that applied in a more single-player minded like environment.

If a Descent 4 is ever made, I would want it to have the destructibility and variable environment like this game...though maybe with a bit more fine-tuning still, but still a step in the right direction.

Didn't the first (and maybe second) Red Faction had that kind of environment?

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 06:19:06 AM »
A bit, but I'm largely unfamiliar with the finer details of Red Faction on a whole.

I know the newest entry in the franchise did, but it was more of a pre-scripted destruction from what I've seen, and not quite the same as Space Engineers is approaching it.
Check out my deviantART

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 12:01:52 AM »
Space Engineers is definitely fun. It seems like it was what people were originally thinking Miner Wars was going to be like.
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 05:29:22 AM »
Red Faction Armageddon's destruction was mostly not scripted... you could do pretty much whatever you could do in Guerrilla.
It was a pretty fun game but the story was horribly written.  Its plot was as bad as D3's characterizations. :P

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2014, 09:40:04 AM »
Space Engineers is definitely fun. It seems like it was what people were originally thinking Miner Wars was going to be like.
Which is exactly why I was extremely hesitant to buy Space Engineers. Fortunately, I did and it's quite well-done and enjoyable.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets