Author Topic: Best Descent 3 Singleplayer Missions  (Read 6026 times)

Offline Kaizerwolf

• Gold
    • Youtube
Best Descent 3 Singleplayer Missions
« on: May 03, 2014, 12:44:53 PM »
Hey guys! I was wondering what everyone's favorite D3 single player missions were. I've been firing up Descent 3 the last few weeks, and I'm looking for good single player levels. My favorite that I've found is Reactor Gamma, but if you guys have some others, please do recommend!

-Kw

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
Re: Best Descent 3 Singleplayer Missions
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2014, 07:31:49 PM »
Well... Army of Haloon the Prototype is a good addition to a collection.
I can't think of many other D3 missions I'd rate at the same level as Reactor Gamma, to be honest.  And I haven't played any D3 missions apart from RetributionOnInsane in quite a long time.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 06:48:39 AM »
Roth 513 and it's sequel Alien Territory immediately comes to mind...Arrelien Po (I think that's how you spell it) also comes to mind, made by the same builder I believe...

There are some others, but I can't think of them off hand, and can't boot up D3 and double-check at the moment, so...

The only problem with D3 is that it always was kind of stingy when it came to single-player levels. 'Twas always easier to build the multiplayer levels, see. But there's a couple out there worth playing.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2014, 06:56:49 PM »
Give me a couple days (to have spare time) ... and I'll put a list together.  Among the items in the list will the the "Wind Mine" series (6 very well done sequential SP levels).

EDIT:  Here's some now! - All are downloadable from http://d3fischlein.de/home.html
The "Wind Mine" series (by Ron "Ronnie" Lester)
  • Level 1 and 2 - "Wind Mine" - Download
  • Level 3 - "Wind Mine III Stargate" - Download
  • Level 4 - "Wind Mine IV Secret Planet" - Download
  • Level 5 - "Hidden Worlds" (Wind Mine 5) - Download
  • Level 6 - "Defcon 1" (Wind Mine 6) - Download
NOTE: Because of a bug in the way Descent 3 fails to properly load custom level scripts for saved positions... Always start the levels as if for the first time... THEN load your saved position.  With this level set you WILL want to save positions, repeatedly.

Enjoy!  I'll list more when I get the chance.  In the meantime, these will keep you occupied a while.  8)

EDIT EDIT:  A few more!

Now you'll really have something to do!  ;D
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 08:01:07 PM by TechPro »

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2014, 07:42:17 AM »
Another great mission is Mission at Saturn, by Dark/Atan.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Sapphirus

• Gold
  • The Aura is with me!
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2014, 09:36:26 AM »
Operation: Moon
Did anyone realize that the Operation: Moon soundtrack came from Terminator 1 (with the eerie beats)

Didn't mean to change the subject.  Anyways, I do remember the Windmine series. (ah, the nostalgia)
Please respect my social media privacy (facebook, steam, twitter)

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2014, 02:36:01 PM »
Another great mission is Mission at Saturn, by Dark/Atan.

Yes, Mission at Saturn, can't forget that one. :) Wonderfully detailed level that occasionally tested D3's limit in that second level. My only gripes is that it got a little dull towards the end of the second level, and they never finished that "part 2" they were talking about.

There's another one that I'm thinking of, but I can't think of it's name off hand...I'd pull out D3 to look it up, but I ought to be doing homework now (only here for a quick visit, nothing more) and am afraid that if I boot up D3 now, I'll get...distracted... :P
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2014, 04:10:38 PM »
This seems like a great discussion... So I've compiled a list of all the missions mentioned in this thread, plus a few more SP missions for Descent 3 ... and created a stickied thread just for listing Descent 3 Singleplayer Missions.

http://www.planetdescent.net/index.php/topic,1342.msg18333.html#msg18333

Finding (and knowing of) singleplayer missions for Descent 3 is kind of hard because... there are so few of them compared to the many MP missions.  I don't know of any similar list, anywhere.

Offline Foil

• Gold
  • "I've never seen its equal."
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2014, 02:43:35 PM »
Wow, thanks for this list, guys!  I knew about most of those, but there are a couple I wasn't aware of.  I've been looking for some D3 singleplayer missions to play with my son (who is 5 and is just starting to love playing D3).  :D

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets