Author Topic: Descent is 19 !!  (Read 9531 times)

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
Descent is 19 !!
« on: February 17, 2014, 04:56:00 PM »
On February 13, 2014 we note the release of Descent some 19 years ago.  (yeah, I know, today is the 17th, I'm late.  sue me)

Looking back over the years, I marvel at what has taken place.  I still remember the games that were common place back in 1995 (queue flashback sequence)...  PC players had a fair number of game choices (assuming their computer could handle it and that they even had a computer) such as Earthworm Jim, Star Wars: X-Wing, Star Wars: TIE Fighter, Star Wars: Dark Forces, Doom, Doom II, Heretic, Warcraft: Orcs and Humans, King's Quest, and Wing Commander.   While these games, if you had them (and I emphasize the IF), could provide many hours of entertainment and while some were space battle types of games (heavy on the Star Wars theme) many of them were "ground pounders" and posses a significant "flaw" if you will.  When viewing their map, or when designing levels, it was apparent with most of the games of the time, the playing field/arena was very 2 dimensional.  You could go up, down, side to side, back and forth, but never over or under.  The "3rd dimension" was lacking.  It was simulated, to be sure and games like Doom and Heretic tried hard to simulate going over or under, the player never actually did so.

Along came Descent sporting actual 3D graphics and the previously un-heard of actual 360 degrees of movement both in player position and in the environment itself.  It was groundbreaking and ... barf generating... until you got used to it.   If you played it long enough to get used to it, you were hooked and could only laugh and deride at the other "poser" games.

I tip my glass (be it orange juice, cocoa, beer, wine, or fine milk...) to the game that set new standards and two great sequels, all of which still have not been fully duplicated again.

Long may we be able to play Descent!

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
Re: Descent is 19 !!
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 05:45:57 PM »
Never played Earthworm Jim, own all three X-wing/Tie Fighter games, had a lot of DOOM, a lot, owned Heretic and I think even Hexen, and older games I think, 7th Guest, 11th Hour, Maabus, Ultrabots......  :'( the good old days in gaming

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 06:32:48 PM »
A couple days ago, Scyphi mentioned an article I had seen ... 

PCWorld.com:  12 classic games begging for a remake  - Descent is the 6th one in their list.
Descent was released on Steam literally days ago, which reminded me: Descent looks terrible nowadays. Out of all the games on this list, it's probably showing its age the most.

That's incredibly unfortunate, because Descent is still one of the most thrilling games ever released. You pilot your vessel down into the depths of an infested mine, fighting off robots and throwing up because your brain can't decide which way is up anymore in Descent's 3D, no-gravity environment. There's nothing else like it, and there probably never will be.

Unless we get the Descent HD remake we all deserve, that is.

I remember going to COMDEX back in 1997 (I think) and Descent II had been released only a few months previous.  There was some gaming hardware booths that were selling gaming chairs (simulator type chairs) hooked up to computers running Descent II.  Combine the vomit inducing 360 degree motion with a chair that moves you around with it ... Oh yeah!!  8)   It was very trippy.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 09:50:49 AM by TechPro »

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 07:20:01 PM »
Descent never made me feel sick, or any game except for Return to Castle Wolfenstein. the walking was sickening, so I stopped playing it.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 07:46:32 AM »
Quote from: Techpro
I remember going to COMDEX back in 1987...

1987? But the Descent series was a nineties franchise! :P *hint-hint* ;)

The only games mentioned in this thread that I've actually played is...well...just Descent, actually... :P
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 09:52:02 AM »
1987?  Did I say 1987?  I'm sure I meant 1997...

Fixed.  :-[

Offline Sapphirus

• Gold
  • The Aura is with me!
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2014, 06:45:19 PM »
Sorry that I'm late but, how could you not put Mechwarrior 2 in the list of 90s game in this soupe.  :P
Please respect my social media privacy (facebook, steam, twitter)

Offline Pumo

• Lord PuMo, King of Torbernite
  • Gold
  • Fear the Hosakos!
    • Pumo Software
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2014, 07:53:20 PM »
I agree. Also it would not hurt to include Terminal Velocity, Quake (the first one) and Duke Nukem 3D to the list. :D
Pumo Software main Website
- Pumo Mines current release: v1.1 (12 Levels)
R.a.M. Land official Website

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2014, 01:48:15 AM »
I still sort of remember Terminal Velocity, played on DOS. I remember being in a ship, I think on occasion, flying through tunnels, blasting at bosses and what not.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2014, 05:08:29 AM »
Yeah, I remember Terminal Velocity. Sort of a proto-Descent but typically with more terrain-based navigation than tunnel navigation. Definitely had some good and neat ideas to it, though it could've stood to have a bit more fine-tuning IMO.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2014, 07:34:40 AM »
I have Terminal Velocity.  Well, the 'shareware' version which contained the first 3 levels (I think it was) and advertises the full game... but who really cared?   I've got it installed on a couple of the computers in the house, but no one ever plays it but me and I have to be feeling extremely nostalgic to even think about it.  It's resolution options were designed for different hardware and just never gets all that great on the newer systems.  Also, once you've played it a couple times it becomes pretty mind numbing and you find you're playing it the same way each time and doing it almost with your eyes closed.  Kind of dull after a while (IMHO).

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2014, 10:01:49 AM »
Sounds like trackmania without the editor. :P

Offline Pumo

• Lord PuMo, King of Torbernite
  • Gold
  • Fear the Hosakos!
    • Pumo Software
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2014, 11:21:48 AM »
Yeah, it's true that Terminal Velocity is a bit monotonous, but back on the day it felt great because of its atmosphere.
It had very nice graphics for its time and although gameplay-wise is pretty linear, it had a nice assortment of different environments and planets,
and that made you feel with the desire to see how the next planet would be.  ;D

But, to talk about a REALLY great game (IMHO) of the 90s (besides Descent of course), I would mention Stargunner.
It was the last game made by Apogee, and was full of fast-paced non-stop action! It's like a Galaga/Axelay but much better, with beautiful graphics, excellent music, great levels, lots of weapons, ship add-ons and lots of fun!

I would consider it a perfect game, no more no less.

PC Longplay [201] Stargunner

« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 11:34:07 AM by Pumo »
Pumo Software main Website
- Pumo Mines current release: v1.1 (12 Levels)
R.a.M. Land official Website

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets