Author Topic: Descent is on Steam!  (Read 27284 times)

Offline Eagle131

• Silver
    • E. Ruoss
Re: Descent is on Steam!
« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2014, 07:35:20 AM »
Seeing Descent on Steam made me want to fire up D1, 2, and 3 again.  I've been playing through the Descent games non stop since I saw it!

Anyone else notice that the person playing the game in the video posted on Steam isn't doing that great a job at it? :P

^That's exactly what I thought when I watched the game play videos!

Offline Teh poke man

• Silver
« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2014, 11:38:04 AM »
D3 was just added. GOG D3+Mercenary v1.4, but also includes a Glide wrapper. Curious...

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #47 on: April 16, 2014, 06:03:04 AM »
D3 was just added.

*day is made*

I really didn't think it was going to happen, so I'm glad to be proven wrong.  :D
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Viper1999

• Silver
  • Now where was I?
« Reply #48 on: April 16, 2014, 08:13:03 AM »
D3 was just added. GOG D3+Mercenary v1.4, but also includes a Glide wrapper. Curious...

Sweet! Used to play this one when i was a kid! ;D
Good to see something from my childhood coming back to me.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #49 on: April 17, 2014, 11:21:12 AM »
Downloaded and played on through to most of the third level of D3. Pretty much is the same D3 as always, but in comparing it to the original installation of D3 I already had on my laptop, it does seem to have a few minor rendering fixes that enable it to run better and more efficiently on my more modern Windows 7. Less flickering when jumping from gameplay to map and back, doesn't mess with my desktop's default Aero themes, slightly increased rendering performance...stuff like that. Of course, by default, the game seem to run on pretty low graphical settings, but a quick go-through the options menu fixes that. I can run the game totally maxed out on its rendering capabilities without issue, and it looks very nice.  8) Can't quite do that with the original non-Steam installation.

At first I thought it was also showing the D3 cinematics in either additional widescreen or with added details, because it seemed to me there was suddenly more to see in them than I remembered there being in the past, but after comparing them with the original's installation, I saw I was just imagining it.  ::)

Only quirk I've found is that, for some reason, the little loading graphics (like what you see when a level is loading) aren't being displayed. The text and everything else is there, but the actual graphic is missing, not getting rendered, which is...odd. Never seen it do that before, at least that I can recall. Not a big deal though, because the game loads so quickly on this system that you could blink and miss that loading screen altogether because it done and loaded everything already. Which is nice for speed issues, but also a downfall as you don't really get much chance to enjoy the loading screens for said levels, which I had always thought was a nice touch, aesthetically speaking.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2014, 11:01:47 AM »
Hmmm... Got some ideas on that...

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #51 on: April 24, 2014, 04:18:08 AM »
I remember when it took ten minutes to load the first mission...
Yeah I think there's a reason so many games have followed Descent 3's example when it came to loading screens.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #52 on: April 24, 2014, 05:58:37 AM »
If you're going to be waiting awhile for it to load, might as well give you something to look at, right?
Check out my deviantART

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #53 on: April 24, 2014, 02:15:45 PM »
Our game did it first! :D
I think...

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #54 on: April 24, 2014, 05:16:11 PM »
Oh man...how would one even research that and find out? Because I'm pretty sure no one's been keeping track of that.  :P
Check out my deviantART

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #55 on: May 07, 2014, 04:43:22 PM »
Guys...I just found Freespace 1 on Steam...it was just released today...and is 50% off until May 14th...

Just thought you ought to know.

And of course you know this means Freespace 2 will probably soon follow, given current trends. ;)
Check out my deviantART

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #56 on: May 09, 2014, 01:46:25 AM »
FreeSpace, not a bad game. Sort of miss the classics

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets