Author Topic: Here's Something I Bet You Hadn't Thought Of...  (Read 2616 times)

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
Here's Something I Bet You Hadn't Thought Of...
« on: May 02, 2014, 11:14:50 AM »
The rise of a Google-based nation; "Googlestan," if you will.

It might seem a little absurd at first, but read through the whole article. It makes a pretty convincing argument that a Google-dominated nation, or something like the Google, might be inevitable given current trends in our society...something that has both its upsides and downsides. At the very least, it's an idea worth considering that most might not have stopped to think about.

Discuss! :D
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
Re: Here's Something I Bet You Hadn't Thought Of...
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 12:51:30 PM »
Facebook is already in decline, Google will be right behind them, and 50 years from now children born today will remember Google and Facebook the way we remember the giants Union Pacific, General Electric, and RCA used to be, and technologies like the 8-track and record player.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2014, 07:42:02 AM »
Yes, but it's not so much Google specifically that the point's about, it just serves as a convenient example. You're quite right, Google's expendable, but the fact is that, in theory, what this article describes could very well be possible still. Not to say it WILL happen, just that it COULD happen, and quite possibly without people realizing it.

Anyway, I just thought it was a neat idea that was worth throwing out there for consideration.

Also, it occurred to me after posting this thread, upon considering it further, that this could apply to the PTMC. We know from the mission breifings in more than one of the Descent games that the PTMC is the "the biggest bureaucracy in human history" and pretty much solely dominates the mining market YET have ties in several other things than just mining; colonization, robotics, artificial intelligence, weapon design/production, data storage, various science projects, nanotechnology, transportation, and ties with government and more to have enough influence in human affairs that "nobody wants to mess with the PTMC."  So there you go, the PTMC serves as a bit of an example for what I'm talking about here.

And its a two-way street. You could spin this both in a bad light (akin to "1984") or in a good light (for a somewhat more utopic-like feel).

I guess the idea might interest me more than others, because I write, and as part of the trade, you kinda have to stop and think about stuff like this.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2014, 10:52:42 AM »
The bigger they are, the harder they fall.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline PyroJockey

• Gold
  • Old school
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2014, 09:51:33 PM »
I recall when Novel was king of networking and if you wanted to get information on line you dialed into Compuserve.
There are times you strive for greatness, to reach lofty goals and accomplish
noble deeds. Then there’s the rest of the times you just want to blow s--- up.

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2014, 06:53:23 PM »
I recall when Novel was king of networking and if you wanted to get information on line you dialed into Compuserve.
Ahh.... the memories...

Ok, memory flashback over.  ;)

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets