Author Topic: Talon Demo is now available for download!  (Read 10913 times)

Offline Scottris

• Silver
Talon Demo is now available for download!
« on: October 12, 2013, 05:52:24 PM »
Talon Demo Released

A milestone for my humble little project, the first playable public demo is finished!  :D

If anyone didn't get a chance to participate in the Beta, now you can download and try the first official Demo!

"Practice indoor flying and close-quarter combat skills with this free playable demo. Fight with AI bots to control checkpoints in the Warehouse map. Demo contains one map, one ship, and a full arsenal of weapons. Demo does not support multiplayer. Note: the demo defaults to the lowest AI skill setting, which you can turn up once you are ready for a greater challenge."

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
Re: Talon Demo is now available for download!
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 12:45:53 PM »
I've played the beta, and if you love Descent multi-player, you'll love Talon.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 04:07:29 PM »
So, if you missed the beta you don't get multiplayer until release?

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 06:54:12 AM »
Just played for the first time. Realized part way through that I had the difficulty level turned WAAAAAY down so it wasn't a particularly intense game and I had momentary trouble being certain what side I was on (I stupidly didn't pay attention to the little status box that appears at the bottom of the screen before you join the game the first time), but after tweaking the controls to be akin to my Descent set-up (though I probably could've played it just fine with the defaults, which seem reminiscent of Portal-style, only with 360 degree movements) it all felt very natural and fun to play. With setup being a cinch, very plug-and-play, I was very pleased with what I saw, and the game ran like a dream. :D

Any Descent player could pick this game up running. For a new player, obviously, it'd take a bit more adjusting, but since the scale of the game is smaller than Descent, with less need to maneuver up and down and all around quite so much (at least for the one level the demo includes), I'd like to think a new player could pick it up in short order, especially if they have any previous flight-sim experience whatsoever, but I might be overly optimistic about that.

Still, the important thing is that I liked it, think others would like it, and even though I haven't done multiplayer mode officially yet, I can certainly envision it as being all the fun WillyP attests to, so I doubt not his word on the matter. :D

I also noticed that capturing checkpoints is slightly more complicated than I had first expected, which I'm all for, as it necessitates the player to do more to defend/capture said checkpoints. :)
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline PyroJockey

• Gold
  • Old school
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 04:40:33 AM »
Just played for the first time. Realized part way through that I had the difficulty level turned WAAAAAY down so it wasn't a particularly intense game

I missed out on the Beta too. I compare playing this game with the default difficulty to being in a pillow fight. You and your opponents pound the sh*t out of each other but neither of you take any real damage.

You have to set the difficulty to at least 50% to make the game interesting.
There are times you strive for greatness, to reach lofty goals and accomplish
noble deeds. Then there’s the rest of the times you just want to blow s--- up.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 07:19:58 AM »
The difficulty I was on basically left me as the only player who would actually shoot at something. The other AIs would rarely shoot at anything, even with their enemies right in their faces. More often than not, they would just try and push them out of the way with their ship. :P

Speaking of which, I've been meaning to play the game again at a higher difficulty...
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Do_Checkor

• Silver
    • www.descentforum.de
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2013, 04:36:57 PM »
The early access sales will begin soon. The beta team is now busy testing a release candidate - so you won't have to wait for long anymore :)

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2013, 04:42:57 PM »
If you love Descent multiplayer, you'll love Talon. I've played in the beta and it's a really nice game.

Oh, I alraedy said that, in this thread. Well, it's still true.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2013, 09:42:49 PM »
What do you guys think of the soundtrack so far? ;D
No it's not just me writing it...

Actually I really like Bittertooth's songs.  I wonder if he's doing any more...

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2013, 04:24:04 PM »
It's very good, and goes well with the fast pace of the game.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2013, 08:58:03 AM »
I don't remember anything about the soundtrack last time I played the demo...either it was lacking it, I wasn't paying much attention to it, or it's been too long since I played said demo.

Well then, I guess the next time I have the time, I know what I'm pulling out and playing. ;)
Check out my deviantART

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets