Author Topic: Mouse  (Read 7222 times)

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
Mouse
« on: October 09, 2013, 12:30:41 PM »
I like my mouse... but the software seems as though doesn't like Windows 7. The problem is if I click and drag something it occasionally kinda stutters, and drops the thing I was dragging. Then I have to try again. Not the end of the world in most applications, just rather annoying, but it becomes deadly in a game.

I tried looking for updated drivers, but apparently Logitech has decided it's too old to even keep old drivers on it's website. Other users have complained of the same problem but Logitech basically said tough, get a new mouse.

So anyway, what do you use for a mouse and what do you recommend?
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Foil

• Gold
  • "I've never seen its equal."
Re: Mouse
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 01:57:54 PM »
The action you describe indicates that mouseButtonUp and mouseButtonDown events are being fired while you drag.

If it's a wireless mouse, this can be due to interference.  I've had success by changing the wireless channel, or eliminating the source of the interference.

If it's a wired mouse, it has to be due to intermittent button-down detection.  Every time I've had this happen, it's been because the button-switch physically went bad.

----------

As for what to replace it with: I personally use generic MS optical mice, except when I'm gaming (I have a Sidewinder X8 I got in a free deal a couple years ago).

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 04:12:45 PM »
It's wired. And it's not like a normal event, the windows error sound plays, the item being dragged go back where it was and for a brief moment I have no control over the mouse. I have to re-click to gain control. Often resulting in a toon running off a cliff or a ship missing an opening and crashing into a wall. World of Tanks wasn't so bad but playing Talon like this is extremely annoying.
Anyway, TBH I'm more just ranting on this but I've really decided just to replace it, after reading on Logitech's forum and other places.

I just don't know that spending extra money for a gaming mouse is worth it. But at the same time I don't want to get some $9 peice of crap I won't be happy with.

Do you find extra buttons to be a useful feature?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 04:17:02 PM by -<WillyP>- »

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 07:48:22 PM »
You're not going to find a good mouse with quality sensors and parts and high DPI and stuff without extra buttons. Personally I have a Logitech G600 and I love it to hell and back. I only use a few of the ridiculously many extra buttons but the ones I do use I really find useful. I use it for voice comms, among a few other notable game-specific functions. I don't, however, play the game using just the mouse like some might suggest you could. It's just too much on one hand.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 05:28:09 AM »
I just buy the first mouse I can find that isn't too cheap, but is still in a price range I'm willing to pay for.

Unless Techpro has a spare mouse I can use, which has been the case a couple times in the past.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 07:30:44 PM »
Actually I'm looking at the G600 right now. A manufacturer refurbished one goes for about $35 shipped on e-bay, or a new one for $55(+ shipping) from Newegg.

Can you press the buttons on the side accurately while holding the two main buttons and moving the mouse?

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2013, 06:57:14 AM »
Actually I'm looking at the G600 right now. A manufacturer refurbished one goes for about $35 shipped on e-bay, or a new one for $55(+ shipping) from Newegg.

Can you press the buttons on the side accurately while holding the two main buttons and moving the mouse?
I was worried about that too when I looked at it, but I haven't had any problems yet. I've only used the first row, but I got the hang of holding it pretty quickly. They take a fair amount of force to press, so it's pretty hard to accidentally press them. Like, I can push the mouse around with just one of the buttons and it won't press. But there's plenty of surface area to grip so you don't even need to move the mouse with your thumb at all. You can't see it on the images very well but the buttons are set up in 2 "banks" that angle towards the middle, so your thumb kind of rests in the middle. It's a really good design. It definitely did take some getting used to though, just because it's so different to hold than a normal mouse.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2013, 02:35:42 PM »
Sounds good, got one coming.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2013, 11:45:42 AM »
Some pics.

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2013, 07:42:05 AM »
How do you like it?

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2013, 11:22:13 AM »
The only issue I have is picking it up to re-position. When I pick it up, I tend to press the buttons on the left, and there isn't enough grip on the right. It would be nice to have a couple of wings so I could pick it up without squeezing it. I have not yet experimented with the key-binding software, but once I figure that all out I am sure the extra buttons will be greatly appreciated. In addition to the 12 buttons on the left, there are three mouse buttons, a scroll wheel that can be pressed and also tilted left or right, and 2 other buttons on the top middle.

Not sure but I think I would have rather have had 3 or 4 larger buttons on the left instead of 12 small ones. I probably will have to leave unbound the ones I press the most when I lift. Though it may be a matter of getting used to it, as I can lift without pressing the buttons, I just cannot do it reliably... yet.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2013, 01:19:24 PM »
I love this mouse:

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-910-000806-Trackman-Marble-Mouse/dp/B001F42MKG/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1382822252&sr=8-14&keywords=Logitech+mouse

I happen to like this for everything, desktop, gaming, whatever. I like it so much, I have two more that are still brand new.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2013, 05:55:32 PM »
I had that same one a long time ago. I liked it then, in fact I thought it was awesome, until it died and I used a regular mouse that I already had. In fact, the one I just replaced. Which, after using the regular mouse, I didn't want to go back to the trackball. Not that the trackball was bad, I just realized I liked the regular mouse a little better.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2013, 06:33:59 PM »
we all have our preference. I hate moving a mouse and having some mouse pad. I think the desk I had was a bit too small to have a mouse that moved.

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2013, 02:21:17 PM »
"Eons" ago (just after the discovery of electricity) I used to have a ball mouse very similar to this one.  It was great to use when playing games like Descent and Descent ][ because the ball was heavy enough that you just gave it a good push and it's keep going (coast) a bit and you could use it to your advantage... but you had to be used to it.  I loved it ... but it died.   :'(

I also had one of the old Kensington Ball Mice for the Mac (like this) which was also great to play Descent with ... but sadly it required the old "Apple Desktop Bus" connections with the Macs don't have anymore.

Ahhh.... Those were the days.   "Ball" mice these days are typically not much better than light-weight pebbles with poor control.  The extra weight of the old designs were excellent for control and feel.

Haven't even user the design Vanguard has.  It looks like it's got real potential.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets