Author Topic: Descent - The Complete Music Collection 1/29/2022 - Reuploaded Missing File  (Read 92554 times)

Offline Pumo

• Lord PuMo, King of Torbernite
  • Gold
  • Fear the Hosakos!
    • Pumo Software
Re: Descent - The Complete Music Collection (MP3/FLAC) 8/3/2013 UPDATE 1
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2014, 02:06:47 PM »
Great to know you're still working on this project, I hope to see an updated torrent soon! :D

I didn't knew that the Mac version of D2's soundtrack was different either, so I have the curiosity to check that out.
Pumo Software main Website
- Pumo Mines current release: v1.1 (12 Levels)
R.a.M. Land official Website

Offline Iron_Ian

• Silver
Re: Descent - The Complete Music Collection (MP3/FLAC) 8/3/2013 UPDATE 1
« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2014, 12:26:43 PM »
Quick update - I'm waiting for Descent II MacPlay to come in to rip (should be here the 21st or a few days after). When it gets here, I'm planning to finally post all the updates I've made to the collection.

In the meantime I wanted to holler at anyone interested in the project who may have done remixes or original descent based compositions (like the Pumo Mines OST) - would you be interested in having your remixes included as a section in the Descent Music Collection? Post here or shoot me a PM if so.

Couple more important notes while I'm at it:
* I've decided NOT to include Descent: FreeSpace 1 & 2 as part of this collection. A few reasons behind this, primarily simply the fact that the Freespace series of games really has nothing to do with Descent 1 & 2. A quote from Wikipedia: "It is not part of the canon of the Descent computer game series, and contained none of its ideas and only small portions of its code. It was only prefixed with Descent to avoid trademark issues with Mijenix Corporation's "FreeSpace", a disk compression utility." In addition I contacted Dan Wentz and he's been doing remixes/remakes of the original tracks for Hard Light Productions FreeSpace Open project. Going to shelf Freespace 1 & 2 for now - however I have organized all the original tracks (for the most part) so I'll definitely be doing something with FreeSpace in the future.

* Apologies for total lack of updates and delaying all this so long, I've basically just been sitting on the files for the most part for a few months, and delaying ordering Descent II MacPlay which is the only non-accurate rip I currently possess and seek to replace (found a sealed copy for 9 bucks today on eBay at last).

* I'd like to shout out everyone who has PM'ed me / contacted me via email helping to fill in the gaps on the project. Your help has been most appreciated and I'll be adding you into the project credits shortly when I get this out.

* As much as I'd like to have source audio for the Descent 3 level songs (I'm quite unhappy with the bitrate clustershit), I got in contact with Jerry Berlongieri a few months ago and he mentioned he would send me the tracks but there was never any followup. I'm still hoping to eventually get my hands on the source or at least the Autopilot CD releases (http://vgmdb.net/artist/3896). Gonna see if I can get in touch with anyone on VGMDB who might happen to have them.

Thanks for being patient everyone,
~ Iron_Ian

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
Quote from: Iron_Ian
I got in contact with Jerry Berlongieri a few months ago and he mentioned he would send me the tracks but there was never any followup.

Yeah, that sounds like Jerry. Wouldn't be the first time he's promised to release the tracks and then never getting around to it.  ::) I'm sure he's a busy man, though, and by now, I'm sure those D3 tracks have gotten buried away somewhere where they aren't easily accessible.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Iron_Ian

• Silver
Yeah, that sounds like Jerry. Wouldn't be the first time he's promised to release the tracks and then never getting around to it.  ::) I'm sure he's a busy man, though, and by now, I'm sure those D3 tracks have gotten buried away somewhere where they aren't easily accessible.

Yeah I'm sure he is probably pretty busy.

On that note, the D2 MacPlay got here - but in the meantime I'm also working on doing my own mixes of the Descent III soundtrack. Both for consistency and to try and potentially more accurately represent (as in how the themes occur chronologically through the levels) for some of the tracks that I have that weren't mixed by Jerry.

So far I've got Map 1-6 done. Most of them aren't bad to mix together, but there's a few harsh transitions (noticeable in game when you're focusing on it too). I've noticed Jerry used some of the soundclips present in his mixes to cover up either slightly harsh transitions or exceptionally quiet ambient parts. Right now I'm struggling on Level 7's track - it's one of my favorite songs in the game, and I'm finding it very difficult to piece together. The ingame order is honestly horrible - harsh transitions and sections that don't go together well all over the place. Mot to mention it seems to just go all over the place in some random sequence once you're underground. I'm finding the naming of the files is throwing me off as well BreaktoBuild not connecting the Break to the Build track logically at all for example (nor vice versa). So it may be a bit to get these all finished.

But on the other hand here's a 320 mp3 copy of Piccu Station (Level 3) in the meantime. This is the only track I've modified by adding Thunder and Rain pattering on the windshield sounds into for the outdoor part - http://puu.sh/amSxW/b1375f5569

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
The level 7 track would do that... the size of the level and the way it's laid out would make any other way of working the music kind of infeasible.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
Listened to your new version of Piccu Station...it's okay, but it seems kinda...quieter, and...I dunno...something about the mix isn't winning me over. I kind of like the versions of the song I've already got better.  :-\

Still...I'm not against the complete compiling of the "missing" D3 song tracks that haven't had official releases yet, because nobody's really done it yet with many of those.  :)
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Iron_Ian

• Silver
Listened to your new version of Piccu Station...it's okay, but it seems kinda...quieter, and...I dunno...something about the mix isn't winning me over. I kind of like the versions of the song I've already got better.  :-\

Still...I'm not against the complete compiling of the "missing" D3 song tracks that haven't had official releases yet, because nobody's really done it yet with many of those.  :)

Yeah it kind of sounds like shit. Found out apparently .OSF is just Interplay ACM renamed (http://wiki.multimedia.cx/index.php?title=Interplay_ACM). 22 khz and whatever compression the files have really kill the quality. As far as volume goes I think I'll have to run this through ReplayGain because the tracks ingame are about half the volume of Autopilot's releases. Really wish I could get the source files for all the D3 audio. Honestly it does sound quite a bit better if I maximize the volume but still not as good as the 128 kbps AutoPilot songs.

I think I'll leave the old version of the soundtrack up when I post the new one for anyone that prefers that. Making headway, finished up through Track 13. Just a couple levels (secret levels will be easy since they are comprised of only like 5 audio files) and then Mercenary and I'll be done. Should only be a day or three before I can get this out.

EDIT: Okay we're done (pretty much at least). Now its time to play 6.5 hours of Guild Wars 2 WvW and listen to the soundtrack twice over for any problems. Then tomorrow, ideally I compile everything + upload it all again, and have it out by the evening or the next morning. GLORY!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 08:08:02 PM by Iron_Ian »

Offline Iron_Ian

• Silver
Re: Descent - The Complete Music Collection 7/26/2014 - Final Release V1!
« Reply #52 on: July 26, 2014, 05:42:39 PM »
7/26/2014 FINAL RELEASE V1 UPDATE!

* Added Descent II FLAC Soundtrack (replaced the mp3 version I had before) thanks to ThugsRook of the DXX-Rebirth forum
* Added Descent II MacPlay Soundtrack thanks to ThugsRook of the DXX-Rebirth forum
* Fixed issues with the Descent II SC-55 Midi Soundtrack - High frequency bands were overloaded and Vampyro had some horrible panning issues - thanks to cybero75!
* Updated the Descent 3 & Descent 3: Mercenary Soundtracks with new rips of the game audio (Old files are still provided if you prefer them)
* Normalized file/track names for the multitude of mixes present between the Descent CDA releases. Any song with multiple versions is now labeled with no extra tag for its original mix chronologically, or listed as (PSX/Maximum, etc Mix) if the mix only appears once on an album or (Short/Long/etc Mix) if there are multiple albums in which the song is present.

Finally reached a state of completion (pretty much) as any more work I can do requires input from the original composers (or me to acquire the funds to purchase an OPL3 sound card, Roland SC-55 and SC-88).

A reminder if you're a musician and you have done remix/mod music work for one of the Descent games and would like your work included here, please drop me a line. I would like to expand the collection with some of the great work people have done inspired by the game!

~ Iron_Ian

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #53 on: July 27, 2014, 04:21:39 PM »
Linky links?
Check out my deviantART

Offline Pumo

• Lord PuMo, King of Torbernite
  • Gold
  • Fear the Hosakos!
    • Pumo Software
« Reply #54 on: July 27, 2014, 06:40:45 PM »
Check the first page Scyphi. ;)
Pumo Software main Website
- Pumo Mines current release: v1.1 (12 Levels)
R.a.M. Land official Website

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #55 on: July 28, 2014, 07:03:18 AM »
Right, which is the problem, I'm only finding links to specific select files, and not a full list. The one link I would think would take me to such a full list only redirects me back to this page, where there are no links at all.

EDIT: Never mind, I found it. Had been stupidly overlooking it because the link was stuck in a quote and my mind was dismissing it as a result. :facepalm:
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 07:09:31 AM by Scyphi »
Check out my deviantART

Offline Iron_Ian

• Silver
« Reply #56 on: August 22, 2014, 03:11:41 PM »
8/22/2014 UPDATE 2
*Added Descent Remastered by SunSpire Records

Adding another Remix album to the project. 2 Tracks by SunSpire Records with custom album art by DarkestAdrenaline. I've added the FLAC and MP3 version to the MediaFire folder, be sure to check em out!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 04:17:28 PM by Iron_Ian »

Offline SunSpire

• Bronze
« Reply #57 on: August 28, 2014, 06:01:09 PM »
Hey there, fellow Descenters!

Many thanks to Iron_Ian for the inclusion of my two tracks! Yay! :)

This is a fantastic project and no doubt the most comprehensive resource of original Descent scores on the web to date! I am especially thrilled about the fact that there is "finally" a complete soundtrack of Descent 3 without added voice-overs, as well as sfx-free orchestral scores from the movies. You really did a fantastic job and it's super awesome that the original composers were willing to help you with your quest.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #58 on: August 29, 2014, 04:17:52 AM »
Welcome to Planet Descent, SunSpire!
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #59 on: August 29, 2014, 06:02:31 AM »
Hello SunSpire.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets