Author Topic: Descent - The Complete Music Collection 1/29/2022 - Reuploaded Missing File  (Read 92998 times)

Offline Pumo

• Lord PuMo, King of Torbernite
  • Gold
  • Fear the Hosakos!
    • Pumo Software
Re: Descent - The Complete Music Collection (FLAC) (Work in Progress)
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2013, 05:46:14 PM »
I'm usually seeding from 10AM to 2AM (approximately) CDT each day, so I hope that counts at least a bit.  :D
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 05:48:47 PM by Pumo »
Pumo Software main Website
- Pumo Mines current release: v1.1 (12 Levels)
R.a.M. Land official Website

Offline Iron_Ian

• Silver
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2013, 05:11:47 PM »
Pumo, I was going to ask how you recorded the midi in OPL3 from dosbox?

Is getting OPL3 playback as simple as changing a few config settings under the Dosbox.conf? I did that, but I'm not really noticing any audio difference though.

Then as far as recording how did you record them?

Just curious, have a couple other projects I'm working on and I'd like to figure out how to do this myself!

Offline Pumo

• Gold
  • Fear the Hosakos!
    • Pumo Software
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2013, 10:05:02 PM »
To play MIDI in OPL3 through DosBox, you need an actual DOS program that is able to play MIDI through the OPL3 chip.

In my case, I used the original Setup.exe that comes with Descent.
I selected OPL3 as music hardware on it, and used the Test Music option, that starts to play Level 12 song by default.

Then what I did was to replace the Level 12 song MIDI and FM bank files each time I wanted to record a song with the desired level MIDI & Bank files, then put Test Music on the Setup program, and then record all DosBox audio output through the Stereo Mix input of my sound card and any sound recording program (Cool Edit Pro in my case). :)

« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 10:08:03 PM by Pumo »

Offline Iron_Ian

• Silver
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2013, 12:59:30 AM »
To play MIDI in OPL3 through DosBox, you need an actual DOS program that is able to play MIDI through the OPL3 chip.

In my case, I used the original Setup.exe that comes with Descent.
I selected OPL3 as music hardware on it, and used the Test Music option, that starts to play Level 12 song by default.

Then what I did was to replace the Level 12 song MIDI and FM bank files each time I wanted to record a song with the desired level MIDI & Bank files, then put Test Music on the Setup program, and then record all DosBox audio output through the Stereo Mix input of my sound card and any sound recording program (Cool Edit Pro in my case). :)

Ahhh that must be what it is, I need to use the Descent or Arena/Daggerfall setup music players then.  Thanks dude!

Also I found a pretty damn good Soundfont for SC-55 for BASSMIDI here:
SC-55 Soundfont ( NEW VERSION V1.9, Link in the description)

It's not perfect naturally, but it's probably the most accurate I've heard, has good reverb and audio quality. I recorded Vampyro with in in Foobar2000 at 44.1 khz FLAC. So I can probably add that onto the midi soundtrack as a Bonus Track unless Dan can record it with his hardware.

Been working on another side project today a bit, compiling the Elder Scrolls series of audio. If anyone is interested I'll have that up in the not too distant future on other forums. Using the Soundfont to produce workable quality recordings since there aren't any good recordings available (not that I'm familiar with at least). OPL3 Descent soundtrack will be up soon. I was hoping to post Freespace with it but I just haven't had the inspiration to delve into that cluster of files. I'm not as familiar with the game either.

Offline Iron_Ian

• Silver
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2013, 04:21:15 PM »
Restoring and making some new album art for some of the albums:

Here's a couple previews!

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2013, 05:21:02 AM »
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Iron_Ian

• Silver
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2013, 11:55:26 PM »
UPDATE #1 is up! Thread and downloads have been updated!

8/3/2013 UPDATE 1

DETAILED CHANGELOG:
*Torrent download removed, I will create a new torrent when this collection is completely finalized after Freespace 1 & 2 music are added.
*ALL ALBUMS have updated higher resolution embedded album art.

Individual album changes:
Descent 1 SC-55 midi soundtrack: Renamed the ingame level tracks with a (level #) in the title to make them easier to pick out.
*ADDED* Descent 1 OPL3 midi soundtrack: Thanks to Pumo of Planet Descent!
Descent II SC-55 midi soundtrack: Added Descent II Title remix by Dan Wentz and Bonus track Vampyro. Artist info updated to Dan Wentz.
*ADDED* Descent II OPL3 midi soundtrack: Thanks to Pumo of Planet Descent!
Descent II - Vertigo Series: Album year corrected to 1996.
Descent II - The Infinite Abyss: Album year corrected to 1996.
Descent 3 Soundtrack - Updated album name from "Descent III Soundtrack" to "Descent 3 Soundtrack," nowhere in the art is it listed as "III." Renamed the ingame level tracks with a (level #) in the title to make them easier to pick out.
Descent 3 Mercenary Soundtrack - Updated album name from "Descent III: Mercenary" to "Descent 3: Mercenary," nowhere in the art is it listed as "III." Renamed the ingame level tracks with a (level #) in the title to make them easier to pick out.

Have you tried DescentiaPedia: Game Audio Player?

Yeah that program was my huckleberry for extracting cinematic audio and the Descent 3 .osf files.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 05:46:03 AM by Iron_Ian »

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
Re: Descent - The Complete Music Collection (MP3/FLAC) 8/3/2013 UPDATE 1
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2013, 11:53:39 AM »
Question: any particular reason why some of the soundtracks are split into more than one part (like how the D1 OPL3 files are split into two different files)?
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Pumo

• Gold
  • Fear the Hosakos!
    • Pumo Software
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2013, 09:40:14 PM »
Yeap, because Mediafire has a size limit for each single uploaded file, so Iron_Ian had to split the RAR archive in two parts.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 09:42:33 PM by Pumo »

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2013, 10:42:00 AM »
Well, that explains that, thx. :)
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Iron_Ian

• Silver
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2013, 03:03:59 PM »
Hey dudes hope you've enjoyed the new version of the release. Just dropping by to show you some cool shit Dan Wentz just posted.
I've been in contact with him for a few weeks as he has been remixing the music for Vampyro. He posted the final versions up on SoundCloud, check it out!

https://soundcloud.com/daniel-wentz/vampyro-briefing-remastered
https://soundcloud.com/daniel-wentz/vampyro-title-remastered
https://soundcloud.com/daniel-wentz/vampyro-credits-remastered

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2013, 06:01:57 PM »
 :D :D :D :D
Epic.

Sounds very Red Faction-esque.
And lol at the last tag on the set.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 06:04:09 PM by Kaiaatzel »

Offline Iron_Ian

• Silver
« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2013, 08:23:23 PM »
Just got a response from Jerry Berlongieri about the Descent III music source files. Possible incoming glorious update :-D

Also I'll get Freespace done eventually here and put up a Vampyro DL too. Been out of the loop a bit lately. Had a hard drive crash and barely managed to get my important files off of it. (Almost lost all my work here :-/)

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
  • Former undertaker; current overtaker.
« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2013, 10:34:10 PM »
Iron Ian, I haven't gotten an opportunity to relish in your findings much, but I'm just curious; I have this long-standing theory that EVERY Descent 1 and 2 MIDI is a correlation of a Descent 1 and 2 Rebook Audio song. Now, some are very obvious like, Game02 and Virtual Tension, or Game18 and Hydraulic Pressure, but in your findings and your connections with a lot of the music artists, have you found this to be true with all of them?

Here's my most recent theorized list of possible correlations:
Game01 Pain
Game02 Virtual Tension
Game03 Mystery Metal
Game04 Overdrive
Game05 Not That Button
Game06 Primitive Rage (BOTH Game06 and D1 Title)
Game07 Industrial Accident
Game08 Rusty
Game09 Death (Popularly known as "The Well", but I saw on a website [can't remember where] back in 2005 that mentioned this as "Death", so the name has suck for my collection])
Game10 Glut
Game11 Are You Descent?
Game12 Robotic Menace
Game13 Ratzez
Game14 A Big Problem
Game15 Haunted
Game16 Crawl (Can also go with D2 Briefing)
Game17 Gunner Down
Game18 Hydraulic Pressure
Game19 Crush
Game20 Base Return (D2 Cinematic Intro [Instrumental Version])
Game21 Robotic Menace
Game22 Time for the Big Guns

(Game23-26 is D2 Game01-Game04)
Game23 Cold Reality
Game24 Techno Industry
Game25 Robot Jungle
Game26 Collision Dome Excavation (One of the Mark Morgan "Untitled" tracks from the Vertigo series, but named after the level in Vertigo it
D1 Briefing: Outer Limits
D1 Credits: Ether in the Air
D2 Title: D2 Title (Redbook)
D2 Credits: (no correlation)

I like to think I have a Descent taste of music.

Offline Iron_Ian

• Silver
« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2014, 05:55:09 PM »
Hey dudes, I just want to let you know I haven't forgotten about the project. Thanks to some generous users, I've got the original Descent II soundtrack CD in FLAC, the Descent II MacPlay soundtrack CD (never even knew there was a different version), and also cybero75 hit me with some fixed versions of the Descent II SC-55 midi soundtrack (frequency bands at 160 hz were overloaded) as well as fixed the panning issues in my recording of the Vampyro midi (which I never even noticed until it was mentioned).

I've been holding off on updating because I still wanted to tackle Freespace, and I just haven't had the motivation to sort through the massive amount of music present between the two games. If I don't end up finalizing it soon, then I'll probably just post everything else updated here within the next few weeks (Goal is before April 25th when Dark Souls II comes out on PC, because then I'm not going to be doing anything productive for a long time lol).

Iron Ian, I haven't gotten an opportunity to relish in your findings much, but I'm just curious; I have this long-standing theory that EVERY Descent 1 and 2 MIDI is a correlation of a Descent 1 and 2 Rebook Audio song. Now, some are very obvious like, Game02 and Virtual Tension, or Game18 and Hydraulic Pressure, but in your findings and your connections with a lot of the music artists, have you found this to be true with all of them?

Hehe, I think you might be stretching it a bit with a few of these (though there are certainly some similar sounds), but there are definitely some that are almost obviously meant to be a remix of the midi songs.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets