Author Topic: Game 2  (Read 8998 times)

Offline hurleybird

• Silver
Game 2
« on: June 26, 2013, 08:37:13 PM »
Been awhile, but my latest remastered descent song is online.

http://www.planetdescent.net/index.php?action=media;sa=item;in=1018
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 10:28:10 PM by hurleybird »

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
Re: Game 2
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 08:09:58 AM »
Had to download it in order to listen to it properly (for some reason the site isn't playing it back properly, might have to do with it being an ogg file, but I dunno) but once I had, I was largely entertained by it (though it does seem a little empty in the background). :)
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline hurleybird

• Silver
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 04:02:25 PM »
I was largely entertained by it (though it does seem a little empty in the background). :)

Do you feel that way specifically about the beginning/intro section?

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 05:57:04 AM »
Relistening to it just now, I don't think there was really any one spot that felt emptier than others, so I guess its more stretched across the whole song. It almost feels like there's an instrument or something that's missing that should be playing.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline hurleybird

• Silver
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 10:59:43 AM »
Well, they're all there and accounted for. By chance what kind of setup are you listening on? Perhaps the "emptiness" is due to having too much dynamic range to convey all of the parts adequately on lower fidelity equipment and you'd prefer a more compressed version? Otherwise, I'm drawing a blank on what to look for without more specific criticism.

Offline Foil

• Gold
  • "I've never seen its equal."
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 11:21:40 AM »
Just on a quick listen:

Even with halfway decent speakers, the bass-line is really really quiet, which changes the feel of the track.  Without that solid classic bass-line, it falls a bit flat.

[Disclaimer: My opinion is not expert in any way.  I'm simply commenting as someone familiar with the original track.]

Offline hurleybird

• Silver
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2013, 02:14:05 AM »
I've strengthened the bassline, made a few alterations (including a bit more mid-bass as opposed to low-bass, and about a decibel less dynamic range) and re-uploaded the file. Let me know what you guys think. On my configuration (fully balanced HD-800/LCD-3, Grace M-903 DAC, Smyth Realiser with a PRIR of a B&W setup from a professional recording studio) it sounds quite bass heavy, and I feel I'm right at the point where any more will start muddying the sound significantly .
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 02:19:08 AM by hurleybird »

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2013, 05:46:55 AM »
Sounds great! Scyphi, I having no trouble streaming, perhaps you need an ogg plugin?

I missed hearing the first version, now I am curious what it sounded like. I am using motherboard soundcard, Grado SR60 headphones plugged into cheapo speakers.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline hurleybird

• Silver
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2013, 06:09:50 AM »
Sounds great! Scyphi, I having no trouble streaming, perhaps you need an ogg plugin?

I also have no issues streaming the .ogg version.

I actually did trying uploading the file as an .mp3, but the player did some sort of weird processing or EQing during playback that just sounded terrible. At least now I know why a lot of the .mp3 files in the gallery sound so off to me!

I missed hearing the first version, now I am curious what it sounded like. I am using motherboard soundcard, Grado SR60 headphones plugged into cheapo speakers.

SR60's are awesome! I love my modified Grado HF-1's (what I'm wearing in my avatar pic). If you want some better amplification for not too much money, you might want to check out some schiit products (yes, it's pronounced the way you think it is ;))

Anyhow, if you want to compare the first and second versions I'll put up dropbox links to 48/24 uncompressed .wav versions of both.

First version:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g8nyx7vl8lbl4gn/D2.wav

Second version:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xyhtfkmlkv1r4r5/D2-2.wav

Definitely let me know if you think anything sounds worse in the second version, and feel free to offer more criticism in general.

Edit:

Third version:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d9a59invip2gtzy/game02.wav

Fourth version:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h68vw8sf506whz5/GAME02-1.wav

Fifth version:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3wt4xxai2x83du9/GAME02-2.wav

« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 01:57:54 PM by hurleybird »

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2013, 07:57:09 AM »
Quote from: WillyP
Scyphi, I having no trouble streaming, perhaps you need an ogg plugin?

I don't think so, never had the problem before, and it's not so much that it won't playback, but more of the fact that it plays back...funny. Like it's playing the song twice at the same time, and they aren't in sync...or something.  :-\

I download it, though, and it sounds just fine.

Now, for the improved version, the louder baseline seems to have done it, it doesn't sound so empty anymore.  :D
Check out my deviantART

Offline hurleybird

• Silver
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2013, 08:50:07 AM »
Third, possible final, version is now up. Lots of little tweaks, added some variety to the behavior of a few synths throughout the song. Somehow I gained two Db of dynamic range. Measures in at 11 decibels now, woo!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 08:53:37 AM by hurleybird »

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2013, 02:06:08 PM »
I think of the three the first version was the best. Though, the differences are very subtle, I think some of the detail in the second version gets overpowered by the bass and melody. In the third version, there are some points where the perceived volume level seems to change for no apparent reason.

Offline Foil

• Gold
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2013, 06:51:53 AM »
Personally, I really like the "fill" that the bass-line adds.  Definitely better! :)

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2013, 05:31:41 PM »
In which version, Foil?

Offline Foil

• Gold
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2013, 06:47:30 AM »
Sorry, I didn't clarify:  I meant the updated (third?) version.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets