Author Topic: D1 Anarchy: Crypts of Eternity  (Read 4136 times)

Offline Naphtha

• Silver
D1 Anarchy: Crypts of Eternity
« on: April 24, 2013, 03:23:13 PM »
Two new levels in two days! It wasn't going to happen like this, but when I uploaded Crionics yesterday, I didn't realize how many levels were on DMDB.  So when I found out, I decided to make this one to celebrate a milestone. :P

Crypts of Eternity came together in a similar manner to Crionics, although the two maps are opposites in certain aspects.  For one, Crypts of Eternity is very tiny and probably will not suit more than four players at the very highest.  It has a fiery theme with several black textures as a contrast, and is intentionally a little darker than the typical multiplayer map.  Aside from a few door lights on the ceilings of cubes, there are no ceiling lights at all, to give the level a slightly more cavelike feel.  Good map for a 1v1, and definitely much smaller than my typical fare.  But that doesn't mean that skimped out on eye-catching detail... ;) Custom textures provided mostly by Blarget once again, adding to the level's unique feel.

Weapons loadout for the level:
-4 Quad Laser upgrades
-8 Laser level upgrades
-3 Vulcan Cannons
-3 Spreadfire Cannons
-4 Plasma Cannons
-2 Fusion Cannons
-4 Concussion Missiles
-6 Homing Missiles
-12 Proximity Mines
-3 Smart Missiles
-7500 Vulcan Ammo rounds

Download the level here:
http://www.enspiar.com/dmdb/viewMission.php?id=666

First Lieutenant for the Red Dragons in the Descent Rangers. Join our ranks today!

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
Re: D1 Anarchy: Crypts of Eternity
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 08:30:44 AM »
All right, I gotta ask, how'd you get D1 to go for custom textures of any sort?
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Naphtha

• Silver
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2013, 11:59:43 AM »
The file type is a little different.  Where D2 uses a .POG file for custom textures, it's a .DTX file in D1.  They work about the same way, so I just used DTX1 to create the file and inserted the .DTX into the .HOG.  I did face two issues, though:

1) Color 255 (used to denote "see-through") in Descent.PIG is a mahogany/terra cotta reddish brown, which limited the number of textures I could import.  The textures were mainly intended for GroupA.PIG, where Color 255 is more of a lavender or puce.  There was one in the exit tunnel that ended up with see-through sections, but I used it anyway by putting a working red texture underneath it.

2) DLE-XP doesn't seem to read .DTX files.  Rebirth does obviously, but when you open the .HOG in DLE, all you'll see is the standard textures I replaced with these customs.  With some trickier textures, that might mean figuring out how to align them by looking at them in the game.  But basically that's how you do it.
First Lieutenant for the Red Dragons in the Descent Rangers. Join our ranks today!

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2013, 02:09:25 PM »
Hmm. Well, I was just curious, because I just can't recall ever really seeing custom textures in D1 before, and was under the impression that it was something that could not be done that easily. Obviously, though, what do I know? :P
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Naphtha

• Silver
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 04:31:04 AM »
The see-through color can still be a bit of a problem as there's only one .PIG file to work with, but that's about it.  In D2, you can at least change the .PIG to make certain textures turn up better-- GroupA.PIG has a sort of lavender as Color 255 as I said, but in Ice.PIG it's an off-white which was much harder to work with in the D2 version of Crionics (not to mention the transparent color also seemed to be a tad different).  But in D1, if it goes through with see-through holes, you're stuck with it.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 06:29:07 AM »
That's probably why I hadn't see it done much before. Sounds like it could be more trouble than it's worth on a more complex project.  :-\
Check out my deviantART

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets