Author Topic: "Descent Vignettes" new Descent 1 level set  (Read 53288 times)

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
Re: "Descent Vignettes" new Descent 1 level set
« Reply #120 on: November 08, 2010, 06:12:23 PM »
Level 15 is my favourite now (though there are some other close contenders, and I may have had a different favourite until recently).
I'm planning a boss level called "the multipurpose room" which is meant to be a mishmash of completely differently themed areas (each of the "colourless", blue, yellow and red areas will have an overarching theme which all the room themes in the areas would be parts of, sort of a "super-vignette" level I guess), and I'm planning on building something like the Stalactite Volcano in the blue area (though the level as a whole will be alien 2/Puuma Sphere themed so I'll have to modify it a bit).

I wonder if anyone could come up with a story for Vignettes.  It would have to be pretty wacky to fit with the level themes...

I was actually planning a singleplayer mission that had to do with saving planets that were involved in an "interplanetary all-terrain skiing championship" from the robots... the entire story would have just been an excuse to give the levels "colour difficulty" ratings like ski runs.  The idea came from TrackMania United/Nations Forever, where all the tracks have the same difficulty colour codes as ski trails.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 06:18:03 PM by Alter-Fox »

Offline Darkflamewolf

• Gold
« Reply #121 on: November 09, 2010, 09:15:23 PM »
I keep wanting to add two more levels + 1 more secret level in there somewhere to make it a full 30 levels. But I'm really not sure if I should. The set is awesome as it is and not sure if the extra 3 levels will harm the set or not.

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #122 on: November 10, 2010, 05:25:09 AM »
Sounds like you've got enough material to make a new level set (howbeit fewer # levels in the set) separate from Vignettes.

I don't think you need to add anything to Vignettes.  What is your motivation to get to 30 levels in a set?  Getting over 5 levels in a fan-made level set is extremely rare.

Offline Darkflamewolf

• Gold
« Reply #123 on: November 10, 2010, 08:49:03 PM »
30 levels, 27 normal and 3 secret would make it on par with the count found in Descent: First Strike.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #124 on: November 10, 2010, 09:36:56 PM »
But in terms of overall level completion time (and thus length of time for a skilled player to complete the mission) for Vignettes would still be much shorter than for D1 First Strike even with 3 more levels.  Because the 3 new levels would also be so small, it wouldn't add much value for people who have already played through the set, I think.

That's one way I'm judging the length of Army of Haloon as well, the levels in there are generally much longer than what you'd find in D3 Retribution or Mercenary (Mercenary level 3 aside).  Although [the whole] Army of Haloon is also bigger than D3 Retribution in terms of number of levels (but it wasn't always like that.  I think we just had 6 levels to start.  Right now we have 18 to 20, depending on how you want to count them).

Offline Bagheera

• Silver
« Reply #125 on: November 22, 2010, 09:23:41 AM »
Wait a minute...Flamewolf is a chick? :D

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #126 on: November 22, 2010, 12:13:02 PM »
Wait a minute...Flamewolf is a chick? :D