Author Topic: "Descent Vignettes" new Descent 1 level set  (Read 53756 times)

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
Re: "Descent Vignettes" new Descent 1 level set
« Reply #75 on: September 11, 2010, 04:59:41 AM »
I didn't say more cramped I said more packed together. There's a difference. Yes, there is at least one good dogfight room in every level, but in comparison to other Descent levels, which typically have many of such rooms, that's a bit different. That, and the level is so small, you're forced into action much more often and sooner, because you only have so many places you can go. You can't escape it.

But like I said, none of this is really a bad thing, and it's actually something I like about Vignettes. :)
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Darkflamewolf

• Gold
« Reply #76 on: September 12, 2010, 04:12:22 PM »
Gyaaaah! I am finally on level 25 on insane. And ran into the crashing bug found in rebirth! So until I can find the fixed version of rebirth that ignores this crashing but, I must stop my insane run.
But I must say, after the ice levels, levels 21-24 were true terrors. I had to fight tooth and claw to gain every inch of ground into each level. They were brutal. Levels 21 and 24 ate my extra lives like candy! I'm now on 25 with only 4 lives left and not a lot of hope. So here's hoping I can work through it all and finally say I completed Vignettes on Insane!

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #77 on: September 12, 2010, 04:25:42 PM »
I believe that D1X-Rebirth 0.56 BETA 4 is your friend (regarding the crashing bug).

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #78 on: September 12, 2010, 09:36:33 PM »
more cramped? I thought I put in at least one good dogfighting room in just about every level. Each level should have 'one' room where you got the space to do one good dogfight with the robots.
Getting back to this ... I'd have to say that some of the beginning levels were a bit "cramped" except for their "dogfight rooms".  ;)  But when you get into the upper levels they are definitely more roomy and some with plenty of room.

I had a lot of fun with Level 16 (four "dogfight rooms" one right after the other) and Observatory Row (Level 17) is pretty cool with it's passages through the middle of it's large main area.

Offline Darkflamewolf

• Gold
« Reply #79 on: September 13, 2010, 01:48:52 AM »
And I finally beat it on insane! whew! That was a great battle! I was down to one more life, I saw just the edge of the bosses cannon from below in the energy center pits, and utilized the trailing edge of the left quad laser shot to hit from behind the pillar where he couldn't get at me. He finally went down and I proceeded to the exit ignoring the multitude of pissed off bots that he spawned around me! WOOHOO!

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #80 on: September 13, 2010, 04:15:23 AM »
WooHoo!
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #81 on: September 13, 2010, 10:11:18 PM »
Little by little, I've been getting through in my spare time.  Got to the second secret level (Core Reactor).  That one was ... different.  I would have liked very much to see a level similar to it but much larger.  This screenshot is only a D2X-XL map view of the starting room.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 10:13:52 PM by TechPro »

Offline Darkflamewolf

• Gold
« Reply #82 on: September 14, 2010, 02:16:32 AM »
any larger and it wouldn't be Vignettes, now would it?

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #83 on: September 15, 2010, 05:26:56 AM »
Got a little further playing, now up to the ice tower level (eighteen I think?). Still fairly nice levels, but they are getting to be brutal at times. :P

Nothing I apparently can't handle, though, haven't died since the first boss (though I came close once or twice). :)
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #84 on: September 15, 2010, 07:51:18 PM »
I found an interesting remix of the music used for level 10 (yes he did use a real electric guitar).

http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/142766

Offline Darkflamewolf

• Gold
« Reply #85 on: September 18, 2010, 02:14:37 PM »
wondering how TechPro is doing on the rest of this set. If there was any other level ideas you'd wish to be in here, what would they be?

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #86 on: September 18, 2010, 07:46:04 PM »
Since you're wondering ...  Level 23 (The Grand Hall) presents you with an interesting challenge right at the start (see the pic) with at least 4 fusion mini-boss, 4 red homer (Super Hulks), 4 or more Drillers, perhaps 6 "Defense Prototype" (fires laser 4), at least 4 red "Spider", and a number of Advanced Lifters ... all in one large room.

Actually, a lot of fun. ... and it's on to Level 24 (Forgotten Fortress)...

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #87 on: September 18, 2010, 08:48:02 PM »
Aannnndd... Level 25 (Claustrophobia).  This is the last level of the set and if your computer can run D2X-XL, I recommend running this level in D2X-XL at least once if only to get the full effect of the textured map feature of D2X-XL.  Other than that, it's pretty much the same in either DXX-Rebirth or D2X-XL.

Why view this one with the textured map of D2X-XL?  I'll show you (cue attached pics).  The first pic shows the mesh like tube you travel down to enter the level.  The level is entirely inside this ship like shape.  It's obvious the creator of this level intended for this to be viewed in D2X-XL.  The second pic shows a place where the exterior allowed the map to show the inside and I added an arrow showing the gray dot that is my pyro inside.  The third pic is a view of the central dogfight room (now all cleared of bots).

Offline Darkflamewolf

• Gold
« Reply #88 on: September 19, 2010, 03:56:56 AM »
I hope you had an enjoyable experience and come back again soon! :D

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #89 on: September 19, 2010, 05:21:34 AM »
Quote from: Techpro
Level 23 (The Grand Hall) presents you with an interesting challenge right at the start (see the pic) with at least 4 fusion mini-boss, 4 red homer (Super Hulks), 4 or more Drillers, perhaps 6 "Defense Prototype" (fires laser 4), at least 4 red "Spider", and a number of Advanced Lifters ... all in one large room.

Whew, thanks for the heads-up, I wouldn't have liked to have wandered into that room unaware when I get to that level. :P
Check out my deviantART

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets