Author Topic: "Descent Vignettes" new Descent 1 level set  (Read 53282 times)

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
"Descent Vignettes" new Descent 1 level set
« on: August 15, 2009, 10:44:40 PM »
Newly accounced on DescentBB.net by DarkFlameWolf ...

DarkFlameWolf has released a new level series for Descent 1 (27 levels, 25 plus 2 secret).  Go here for the DescentBB.net thread and poll about it.  Go over here to download it from DarkFlameWolf's web site.  ENJOY! (and let her know how much fun you have) 8)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 08:42:50 PM by TechPro »

Offline Darkflamewolf

• Gold
Re: "Descent Vignettes" new Descent 1 level set
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 06:43:47 AM »
Yes! I still think this was my best work. More so than what I've done on Bahagad, Lost Levels, or Enemy Within!

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 08:45:17 PM »
My apologies Darkflamewolf, I called you a 'him' (again).  My apologies. :-[ I have no excuse for making that mistake again.  I'll try harder to remember.

Offline Darkflamewolf

• Gold
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 02:37:00 AM »
Doesn't matter, I don't bother correcting people anymore. It serves no point. I am just glad people enjoy what I have created. That is all.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 08:08:01 AM »
I liked what you did in TEW...

I've got a bit better (beaten D1 and D2 on Rookie) and I'm trying to play through again (on Trainee).

So far I'm on level 5, but that's just because I've had so much work to do.

I like the texturing because it's so different from other missions (likely because it was made for the D2X-XL hires textures).

I'm using my own soundtrack b/c I don't particularly like the one that's there (it gets too monotonous from level to level, the melody changes a bit but the instruments are all the same, I think it's all in the same key too), also my souncard has virtually no midi support for games.
So I'm using songs from my Splintered Sanity Ultra EP instead.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 06:55:27 PM by Alter-Fox »

Offline Darkflamewolf

• Gold
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2010, 02:58:59 PM »

Yeah, looking back, I wish I could have picked a better soundtrack, but I was in a hurry to get it released at the time due to real life circumstances. So I needed it done, so I hastily picked out 8 songs total to complete the soundtrack. Oh well.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2010, 06:54:41 PM »
I finally figured out why TEW feels more like Sonic than Descent.

In the most memorable levels (level 2 and level 4 particularly), the red area feels like a journey to the reactor and the exit.  I suppose the feel of those two levels colours the entire set after it.

The Sonic-like-ness was my favourite part of the set.

I now agree that the songs I sent in were pretty bad.  My new stuff is way better (and I remixed Deus Ex Machina for another project (and it got accepted) :D).
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 09:01:25 PM by Alter-Fox »

Offline Darkflamewolf

• Gold
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2010, 10:59:03 PM »
and this deals with Vignettes how? O_o

Offline Pumo

• Lord PuMo, King of Torbernite
  • Gold
  • Fear the Hosakos!
    • Pumo Software
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2010, 11:44:10 PM »
I think Alter mixed up TEW with Vignettes unintentionally.

This happened also to me some time ago, as I used to remember that TEW was going to be the original Vignettes project  ;D  ::)

Doesn't happens to me anymore, though.
Pumo Software main Website
- Pumo Mines current release: v1.1 (12 Levels)
R.a.M. Land official Website

Offline Darkflamewolf

• Gold
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2010, 01:09:29 AM »
Speaking of Vignettes now: What was your favorite level(s) in the set? Your least favorite? Did it feel like a Descent 1 mission? OR was it something more to you?

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2010, 08:30:15 AM »
Actually DFW mentioned TEW (to say how she liked Vignettes better) and I seized the opportunity.

As for a Vignettes level... 19 was my fav, but mostly for the music.  In terms of level design, I think level 11 or level 15 would be my fav (but they didn't have very good music).  I want to build something like level 13 (The Black Rock).  The music on that level reminded me of the little jingles on CBC (and it was about the length of one too :o).

I remember seeing LordScalgon's vid of level 23, and the video icon looked like Egg Emperor from Sonic Heroes.

I got utterly slaughtered on level 22, so I haven't completed the set yet (I'm honestly surprised I got that far on Rookie).
Not as hard as The Apocalyptic Factor though (game over on level 2).
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 08:35:27 AM by Alter-Fox »

Offline SaladBadger

• Gold
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2010, 08:53:12 AM »
Speaking of Vignettes now: What was your favorite level(s) in the set? Your least favorite? Did it feel like a Descent 1 mission? OR was it something more to you?
I actually found some of the levels quite fun. The first secret level and that one gigantic tower thing with lava flowing through it (I can't remember the number) were probably my favorites. I think there may have been more, but those stick out.

On the subject of "Did it feel like a Descent 1 mission?", That's hard to say. The themes were quite new, but during the entire playthrough it felt like a D1 mission. I think the general style was still somewhat compatible with what D1 did with its main mission.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2010, 09:05:34 AM »
...and that one gigantic tower thing with lava flowing through it...

Level 16?  Pumo's level?

Offline Darkflamewolf

• Gold
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2010, 12:47:11 PM »
yeah, the first secret level was fun. For the sheer joy of destroying dozens of weak robots as they were trying to horde you. It was great fun, esp. if you had the Fusion already, then it was a blast to destroy them all and rack up the points!

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2010, 04:24:39 PM »
Is that the one that looked like a big underground fortress? That was hilarious to go an smash with the fusion! But It'd be nice if the persistant debris wouldn't get in the way*cough coughZico, we've been waiting for that updatecoughcough*, so I have to turn it off for that level.
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets