Author Topic: "Descent Vignettes" new Descent 1 level set  (Read 53614 times)

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
Re: "Descent Vignettes" new Descent 1 level set
« Reply #90 on: September 19, 2010, 07:58:09 AM »
I hope you had an enjoyable experience and come back again soon! :D
I did, and I will.  I've done it before using D1X-Rebirth ... but it was the version that kept crashing a lot in the Vignettes so I'm going to grab the latest beta of D1X-Rebirth and roll through it with that.

This particular time I went through with D2X-XL which (among other things) allows me to use the Inventory feature to save cloak and invulnerability powerups (max of 4 each) to use later at a time of my choosing.  Very convenient.  I am under no misconceptions about how much more difficult some of these levels are (like the Grand Hall) when you don't have those items on hand.  :D  Seeing the levels in the D2X-XL enhanced visual effects was a treat.

Offline Darkflamewolf

• Gold
« Reply #91 on: September 19, 2010, 10:43:09 AM »
try it in d2x-xl next time with my quake texture pack and my modified D1 version variant of the Enemy Within robots replacement the normal Descent 1 robots for a widely different experience!

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #92 on: September 20, 2010, 05:26:42 PM »
I was just going through the levels again (this time with the latest D1X-Rebirth beta for crash free fun) and when I blew the Reactor in Level 10 (The Great Escape) I noticed that the fire and explosions just behind my escaping Pyro are like a ball of fire following the ship as evidenced when you reach a point in the escape route that you can actually see portions of the escape route you've already been in ... and there is no longer any fire there.  It's also a little funny because you blow the Reactor and supposedly the mine blowing up starts at the Reactor but as the escape route loops back around and goes near (again) the area of the Reactor, and there isn't any fire there.

Of course, there wasn't any need to program fire to remain because logically the escape tunnel wouldn't be routing around and back past the reactor a second time ... so of course only enough fire was programmed to make it seem like the tunnel was full of fire behind you.

Naturally, since levels don't normally route the way many of the Vignettes levels do, I had not seen that effect before.

Yes ... I'm tired and a bit loopy at the moment ...

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #93 on: September 21, 2010, 09:11:21 PM »
Heh, found an easy way to kill the Boss in level 14 (Into The Fire).  I've managed to kill him 3 times now without him taking a single shot at me.  :D

Offline Darkflamewolf

• Gold
« Reply #94 on: September 23, 2010, 04:52:01 AM »
care to enlighten us?

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #95 on: September 23, 2010, 05:12:17 PM »
You want me to describe it in public? (and spoil everyone's fun by taking away the challenge) Or give it to you by PM?

Offline SaladBadger

• Gold
« Reply #96 on: September 24, 2010, 02:55:23 AM »
perhaps this would be a good time for the forum to get [spoiler] tags... :P

Offline Darkflamewolf

• Gold
« Reply #97 on: September 24, 2010, 09:34:07 PM »
anyone ever think to do cold starts on any of the Vignette levels like many people do on the normal First Strike levels?

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #98 on: September 28, 2010, 12:55:23 PM »
Cold starts?

Offline Darkflamewolf

• Gold
« Reply #99 on: September 28, 2010, 01:19:39 PM »
yes, utilizing the level selection feature of Descent once you've cleared the set. Starting off on levels other than level 1 with nothing but level 1 lasers and some concs. Cold start.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #100 on: October 09, 2010, 01:28:24 PM »
Speaking of cold starts, has anyone done Vertigo?  I'd want to see that on youtube.

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
« Reply #101 on: October 09, 2010, 04:56:54 PM »
Do you mean like starting vertigo from cold each time on youtube?
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #102 on: October 09, 2010, 06:49:45 PM »
Yes... and at a high difficulty (Ace or Insane)

I tried to cold start level 16 on hotshot, and I wasn't able to do it without dying at least once (and I had to cheat a little with D2X-XL's built in equipment, so it wasn't much of a cold start :P)

In particular I dare anyone to cold start level 16 on ace or insane and complete the level without dying at all (secret level is allowed, but you can't die there either.)

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
« Reply #103 on: October 09, 2010, 07:07:27 PM »
I'll do it on insane. I'll have to take a demo since unoob has not been letting me upload videos for the past 6 months "due to some unknown error."
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #104 on: October 09, 2010, 10:20:27 PM »
A demo's fine.

In fact it might be even better considering the "repaired" demo recording system new in 0.56 of Rebirth.

And yeah it's funny how the most popular sites (e.g. youtube) have so many flaws.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 09:51:16 PM by Alter-Fox »

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets