Author Topic: "Descent Vignettes" new Descent 1 level set  (Read 53692 times)

Offline Darkflamewolf

• Gold
Re: "Descent Vignettes" new Descent 1 level set
« Reply #60 on: September 07, 2010, 09:10:33 PM »
Just checking in to see if he's beaten it....or something. :P

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #61 on: September 07, 2010, 09:13:29 PM »
I don't know if he's beaten it yet ... but I know I found the first of the two secret levels...  Dang bots in bots is making me have to use up my energy.  :'(

Offline Darkflamewolf

• Gold
« Reply #62 on: September 07, 2010, 11:29:14 PM »
nice screenshot! How is that for an entry room?! As for the multitude of bots horde, Fusion is your friend if you haven't found it yet! Each secret level in Vignettes is a unique experience and well worth the effort in finding them.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #63 on: September 08, 2010, 10:06:14 AM »
No, I haven't finished it yet, got busy trying to beat D2 now.

Dang it, I have too many Descent games I need to beat. :P
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #64 on: September 08, 2010, 10:59:34 AM »
nice screenshot! How is that for an entry room?! As for the multitude of bots horde, Fusion is your friend if you haven't found it yet! Each secret level in Vignettes is a unique experience and well worth the effort in finding them.
Oh I've got the Fusion.  ;D   That is a pretty nice entry room.  While most of my computers choke on D2X-XL (unless I retro it way, way back, and a couple of them still choke for some reason) and necessitate DXX-Rebirth ... I really, really like the map options in D2X-XL and the start of this level demonstrates that well.

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #65 on: September 08, 2010, 12:08:33 PM »
You can't just tone down all the bells and whistles on XL?

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #66 on: September 08, 2010, 07:58:26 PM »
Yes you can, but it's not always the "bells and whistles" that bite you.  ;)

I'd probably get bit by that a lot less if I wasn't such a cheapskate and would actually buy a decent video card for once.

The work invested into D2X-XL is immense and it really pays off, especially if you've got halfway decent hardware.  DXX-Rebirth has also had an immense amount of work invested into it and that also really pays off.  Both efforts deserve loads of credit and support from the Descent community.  Both efforts are significantly different in the end results. 

DXX-Rebirth typically is measurably less demanding of your hardware and system while being very committed to offering good game play, preserving the original retro feel of Descent.  A lot of work has also been invested to correct and improve the programming code of Descent.

D2X-XL gives you the option to preserve that original retro feel while also giving you many graphical and gameplay improvements and (for lack of a better term) numerous modernizations.  Again, a lot of work has also been invested to correct and improve the programming code of Descent.

I'm pretty sure (I don't know, I'm just hypothesizing) that the reason D2X-XL struggles on some of my systems (and refuses to run on one of them) has a lot to do with the improved features and modernizations.  I suspect (again, don't know for sure) that because DXX-Rebirth has not invested in a lot of those modernizations (instead concentrating on the original look and feel), it is still more (shall we say) "agreeable" with my lower end systems.

I like and enjoy both products and I have nothing but praise for the work that has been put into both.  Currently both have their places, and I like that.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 08:15:03 PM by TechPro »

Offline Darkflamewolf

• Gold
« Reply #67 on: September 09, 2010, 03:54:05 AM »
I appreciate both as well. Although for my youtube videos of my mission sets, I utilize d2x-xl for effect. :)

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #68 on: September 09, 2010, 04:12:10 AM »
I'd probably get bit by that a lot less if I wasn't such a cheapskate and would actually buy a decent video card for once.

How about a GeForce 8400 for 30 bucks, free shipping?
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #69 on: September 09, 2010, 11:55:57 AM »
I should buy that, put it in our other computer and use it to get my dad into computer games. :P

Offline Darkflamewolf

• Gold
« Reply #70 on: September 10, 2010, 03:48:21 AM »
For the first time ever, I'm replaying my set, but on Insane difficulty! I'm currently on level 8 right now and I'm feeling the hurt! I've yet to die, but I'm really close at this point. Those Drillers are evil! Kudos to anyone who can beat this set on Insane. This is far more difficult than the original First Strike, that is for sure!

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #71 on: September 10, 2010, 04:59:38 AM »
I think that's because the levels are so much smaller than usual, therefore, all the robots are more packed into one area, and you have to fight more than one lots more times than in usual Descent levels.

Not that this is a bad thing, of course. :)
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Foil

• Gold
  • "I've never seen its equal."
« Reply #72 on: September 10, 2010, 07:02:32 AM »
I prefer playing on Ace, just because I can still rush'n'gun my way through.  Insane forces you to play slow'n'cautious.

Good luck, though!  It's definitely an accomplishment if you can get through on Insane.  :D

Offline Darkflamewolf

• Gold
« Reply #73 on: September 10, 2010, 04:16:45 PM »
more cramped? I thought I put in at least one good dogfighting room in just about every level. Each level should have 'one' room where you got the space to do one good dogfight with the robots.

Offline Darkflamewolf

• Gold
« Reply #74 on: September 11, 2010, 03:09:45 AM »
GAH, I'm on level 17 right now on insane. The last few levels have been brutal! And now that I think about it, I should have started a video series on this. Just to prove it can be done! LOL But I'm too far in to start over. Oh well, should have thought of the idea sooner. Working through Observatory Row right now, fearing how bad the levels ahead will be...

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets