Author Topic: "Descent Vignettes" new Descent 1 level set  (Read 53689 times)

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
Re: "Descent Vignettes" new Descent 1 level set
« Reply #105 on: October 20, 2010, 09:52:47 PM »
Thread revival!!

I just had the easiest time beating the Boss in Level 14 (Into the Fire) ... actually, he killed himself.   ;D

I had just entered the final/red room and had approached the grills that allow you to see the area the Boss is in.  Just before you enter that area, there is a shield orb just in front of you, and on the left and right are wall textures of the dull yellow diagonal stripes.  I had not yet gone past those yellow stripes and was watching through the grills for the Boss to appear where I could fire away at him ... when the Boss appeared/un-cloaked just below where I was and due to the proximity to me he let loose with his weaponry  despite me being completely protected by the walls .... and he killed himself, timer started and the exit opened.  Woot!  Easy Boss kill!

All I heard was the Boss noise suddenly loud (indicating he was near) and midst sudden explosion rumblings the walls around me kind of glowed a bit ... and he died.  Kind of anti-climatic really.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 09:54:28 PM by TechPro »

Offline Darkflamewolf

• Gold
« Reply #106 on: October 21, 2010, 04:34:36 AM »
I'd say that's a bug, he is not supposed to commit suicide!

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #107 on: October 21, 2010, 11:29:24 AM »
Bummer!   :o
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline karx-elf-erx

• Gold
  • D2X-XL & DLE-XP maintainer
    • D2X-XL and DLE-XP
« Reply #108 on: October 22, 2010, 03:19:48 PM »
Techpro,

which Descent program version did you use (XL/Rebirth/Vanilla) please?

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #109 on: October 23, 2010, 05:38:38 AM »
D2X-XL, version 1.15.91

I know you have a newer version available, but I recently found that if I change versions of D2X-XL in the middle of doing a level set ... sometimes power ups (especially dropped power ups) might disappear or not be displayed.  That effect has been posted about in the SourceForge bug tracking ... but I haven't posted my recent finding on this yet because I'm not absolutely sure on it yet.  I'm re-doing the Vignettes while on just one version of D2X-XL so that I can see if what happened to me before happens again (part way through, dropped power ups stopped being displayed and were only found if my Pyro "ran over" the power up, later on ALL shields and energy sparks stopped being displayed).  I found if I started a new game, the power ups were displayed again.  After I finish Vignettes again, I'll upgrade D2X-XL versions and use saved positions (saved in the previous D2X-XL version) part way through Vignettes to see if the disappearing power ups effect happens again.

Link to the SourceForge posting about it:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=3044795&group_id=155890&atid=797586

Offline karx-elf-erx

• Gold
  • D2X-XL & DLE-XP maintainer
    • D2X-XL and DLE-XP
« Reply #110 on: October 24, 2010, 02:17:59 AM »
I have fixed a bug one or two versions ago that could cause visual artifacts or stuff not being rendered.

I will look into the boss bug.

Edit:

When I enter the tunnel with the gratings at the floor, allowing you to see into the boss room, the boss starts to fire at me, but by no means does it die.

Is there a way to enter the boss cave?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 02:40:48 AM by karx11erx »

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #111 on: October 24, 2010, 09:32:14 AM »
No means that I've found... but I did find a place where I could sit and wait for him to show in my view and I could fire through the grill until he disappears, then wait for his to show in my view again and I'd fire away some more.  After a while of this, he dies, usually without me getting hit at all.

Where's that spot?  I'll hint:  He hasn't seen me through the grills at all, just don't get too close to the grills or he'll spot you and fire away at you.

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #112 on: October 28, 2010, 08:58:56 PM »
And the thread goes on ... (to the tune of
"The Beat Goes On"
)

Finally finished Vignettes again (this time using D2X-XL ver. 1.15.91) ... and the Boss committed 'bossicide' before I even opened the door to the Boss room.   :(

I'll see how it goes with the updated D2X-XL version.

Offline Infamus

• Silver
« Reply #113 on: November 05, 2010, 09:30:47 PM »
Hi! I'm new here!

I got Vingnettes some time ago; one of the best campaigns I've ever played.

I also have the same problem with the boss killing itself. Not only that but on the final level it crashes a lot.

I use Rebirth. No special stuff, just high res and the new reticule that Rebirth comes with. However, the boss kills himself with his own missile blasts. Megas do about 350 points of damage a slug, and the End Hulk has 4k hull/shield so he can only take about ten of those, hitting himself with his own missile shokwaves.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #114 on: November 05, 2010, 11:08:26 PM »
What version of Rebirth are you using?  Zico put up a new one a few months ago, it should have fixed the crashing bug in level 25.

Offline Infamus

• Silver
« Reply #115 on: November 06, 2010, 07:15:07 AM »
I have D1X 0.55.1.

Just went to the site, yeah its a newer version of what i have currently.

and I just realized that you were talking about level 14, I was talking about the last boss.

The level 14 boss doesn't kill himself when I face him.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #116 on: November 06, 2010, 07:40:16 AM »
Which reminds me, I still need to finish this level set...but before I do, I think that I, too, still need to upgrade my version of Rebirth (already have it downloaded, I just think I haven't installed it yet...)
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #117 on: November 06, 2010, 07:00:25 PM »
The newest version of Rebirth does not crash so much (in fact, it seems pretty rock steady).  I highly recommend the newest version of Rebirth.

Those using D2X-XL ... I recommend the newest version as well.  It worked well for me.

I would have posted about this earlier ... but I forgot.  Been squeezing in time on Army of Haloon: The Secret Prototype for Descent 3.

Offline Darkflamewolf

• Gold
« Reply #118 on: November 08, 2010, 10:35:03 AM »
glad people have enjoyed this level set. When I was making it, I wasn't really sure how well it would be received. So I'm just glad people are still discovering this nice little gem of a mission.

Offline Pumo

• Lord PuMo, King of Torbernite
  • Gold
  • Fear the Hosakos!
    • Pumo Software
« Reply #119 on: November 08, 2010, 11:37:47 AM »
What can I say?
For me, it's your masterpiece Wolfie. Your best ever created levels are on Vignettes :)
Pumo Software main Website
- Pumo Mines current release: v1.1 (12 Levels)
R.a.M. Land official Website

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets