Author Topic: Why a jaguar should be the face of environmentalism  (Read 3664 times)

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
Why a jaguar should be the face of environmentalism
« on: March 08, 2013, 05:02:32 AM »

Thank you, polar bear, we no longer need your services.
Be careful though.  A jaguar probably would eat your kidneys while you lay on the ground and watched, unable to excrete the waste matter that is slowly building up in your blood until, mercifully, one of them kills you.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 05:12:30 AM by Kaiaatzel »

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
Re: Why a jaguar should be the face of environmentalism
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 06:33:47 AM »
I can't really see anything in that picture, honestly... Successful camo is successful?

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 07:33:51 AM »
 :-[
Wow.  Umm... you're not the only one; I got the same response on Maniaplanet.  I don't have any problem seeing him perfectly.  And it's not like I took the picture :P.  I only cropped the important part.
Well.  Umm.  ...maybe I'm a hawk or a griffin, with their incredible eyesight, and I've just never noticed.
 :-[
Anyway, he's hugging the tree.  Apparently that's how the males mark their scent or something, but it's so... environmental.  And cute.  A tree-hugging jaguar.
Wow.  I think jaguars are cute.  I'm probably going to be mauled and die horribly while I watch my kidneys get eaten.  Unless I am a hawk or a griffin... then I could escape or fight back.  I'd better hope... it's definitely the only way I can ever possibly survive!!!

Anyway,  :-[
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 07:43:07 AM by Kaiaatzel »

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 02:58:23 PM »
Oh, he's hugging a tree, ok. That explains why it looked so weird. Part of the problem may be how pixelated/grainy it is.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 03:15:28 PM »
part of it does look a bit grainy. I was going to save it and maybe sharpen it but I can't. It appears to be a .jpg.png file.

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 03:31:20 PM »
Just try opening it and it should open regardless of extension. If not, rename it until you find the right type.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 04:03:45 PM »
default worked. but couldn't really sharpen it.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2013, 04:10:27 PM »
I don't think it needs sharpening, it's the angle and movement that makes it difficult to understand what you are seeing. But it's clearly a cat's head and one paw. Now that you've said it's a tree, I can see that, but never would have guessed that otherwise.

So I Googled for a better pic and found there are far more pics of Jaguar cars than cats.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 04:16:12 PM by -<WillyP>- »
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2013, 05:32:59 PM »
That is true, I guess.  I've read about that phenomenon and experienced it where you don't percieve a collection of parts as an object until you see them move as a whole.  And I can definitely understand the problem with the odd angle now that you pointed it out.

All the same, I was able to see it, and I just kind of assumed other people would too.  I guess I really am a griffin who just never noticed he was a mythical beast...

So I Googled for a better pic and found there are far more pics of Jaguar cars than cats.
I sort of figured that would happen a while ago.  IIRC I didn't find this pic on Google.  Maybe Arkive?  It was a while ago.  This was the best quality available though.
You could try googling "Panthera onca", the latin scientific name, instead.  That might give more relevant results.  But to be honest it's a pretty small matter -- a failed visual pun.  Come to think of it Wikipedia often has good nature and animal pics.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 05:36:43 PM by Kaiaatzel »

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets