Author Topic: Rebirth of Space Combat Simulators  (Read 2552 times)

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
Rebirth of Space Combat Simulators
« on: January 23, 2013, 10:27:13 AM »
Freespace 2 was the last greatest space combat simulator. Now, after years of slumber, the man behind the Wing Commander series steps forth with a new game called Star Citizen.

It's coming to the PC and will hopefully be the resurrection of space combat simulator games.
http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/star-citizen/

As far as I can tell, it has got Joystick and even gamepad support.
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
Re: Rebirth of Space Combat Simulators
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 06:42:29 AM »
Sounds pretty intense... reading some of the faq, you can insure your ship. A ship could be destroyed, captured or stolen, without insurance you must buy a new one.

And you can fly a stolen ship, or even commit insurance fraud, that is, the game code will allow you to do so:

What will you do to combat insurance fraud?

A ship cannot be sold without a legitimate hull id code. Claiming on the insurance policy invalidates the hull code on your previous ship, so if it was captured or stolen the new owner will be unable to sell the ship at a regular ship dealer. Additionally if you have claimed on a policy and someone is flying the stolen ship in a well policed system, the hull id will mark it as a stolen ship, the law will be after you and landing privileges will be denied on any lawful planet. You will be able to fly a “hot” ship to the less savory parts of the Star Citizen universe, where you will probably be able to land and may be able to purchase a fake hull id code, but it will take effort and not necessarily be cheap.

Finally the Advocacy takes insurance fraud very seriously. If it can be proven that a player has colluded with another player to defraud the insurance company, that hull’s lifetime insurance will be invalidated and the player may have to pay a large amount of credits to keep their record clean and not be marked as a wanted criminal.

Note, a player committing insurance fraud, isn't kicked from the game, or anything like that. As in real life, he becomes a wanted criminal, and perhaps he can even join a band of outlaws. I can really see some players running with this.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
Re: Rebirth of Space Combat Simulators
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 03:58:47 PM »
I showed this to my son yesterday, today is his birthday. He chose this and a couple of Steam games for his b-day presents.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets