Author Topic: 20th Century Gaming English Class - guess what's in it?  (Read 14353 times)

Offline Naphtha

• Silver
Re: 20th Century Gaming English Class - guess what's in it?
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2013, 01:26:08 AM »
Especially the Redbook, you mean. :P

No, I'll admit the DOS soundfont is really only good for nostalgia for me, but it really only works for certain tracks.  I actually stumbled upon Vignettes and tried it out on DOSBox before making the switch to Rebirth, and good god the music was unlistenable on that soundchip (especially Level 3, which became one of my favorites after hearing it the way it was meant to be heard).
First Lieutenant for the Red Dragons in the Descent Rangers. Join our ranks today!

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2013, 05:05:51 AM »
It's true, some of the best songs in the game (especially level 12, which probably either no one managed to get to or everyone got stuck at) didn't sound quite so great on the OPL2/3.  On the other paw, some of the worse songs in the game actually sounded better on FM.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2013, 06:37:52 AM »
@ ASHICR: But I didn't refer to you directly in said post, now did I?  :P

Yes you did.
Of course, we're all kind of bias on this, aspect, aren't we?
Oh.  Unless you meant something else by that word.  About half of the people in any non-descent game call me by it now :P.  The other half call me Bizzare.

...Now you've lost me.  ::)

As for the music, I suppose I can see where you guys are coming from. Some worked better than others. And changes in sound cards further added to this effect (personally, I think many of the songs sounded best on their original, intended sound card from back in the day, which I bet Enzo's class are not using).

I was always half and half on the D2 redbook music.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2013, 08:17:03 AM »
depends on my mood on what I want to hear, D1 or the redbook version of D2.
I used to have D3 in my library/playlist for 5+ years. After a while, I sort of grew old of it. On some tracks, I tried to add in an "echo" effect when you hear someone talking, or to actually cut out some parts that are from the game. One example, Bread & water (Novis? prison). words at the beginning were changed to have an echo effect, like she was using the PA system throughout the prison. Some dialog later on, gun fire, I tried to remove. Sort of worked, but I sort of got tired of the music.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2013, 09:12:15 AM »
Half of the people in, trackmania, say, call me Aspect.
The other half call me Bizzare.  It's a tough call to which I like to be called better.

No one calls me Of The.

Offline CrazyEnzo03

• Gold
  • Just who the hell do you think I am?
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2013, 10:07:14 AM »
Nobody in my class mentioned the boss. :(  I'm going to ask them next time the class meets.  This means only this one guy who watched me knows what the first boss is like.
Some people are like Slinkies. They aren't really good or even useful for anything but they always manage to put a little smile on your face when you give them enough of a push down the stairs.

Offline Foil

• Gold
  • "I've never seen its equal."
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2013, 11:44:46 AM »
In only three hours' playtime, most of them may not have reached the level 7 boss.  I remember playing through the demo (before the full D1 was released) the first time I played Descent, and I don't think I got past level 6.

I still remember the first time I reached that huge room, how small/powerless I felt against all those drillers and red hulks, and how much that first smart scared the crap out of me while I was hiding in the little entry hall... :D
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 07:54:36 AM by Foil »

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2013, 07:11:04 AM »
I remember WAAAAAY back in the day when Techpro would first go against a Descent boss (and pretty much any time since for years after) I was absolutely terrified of it.

Of course, this was back when I was, like, five or younger. :P

I've since mostly conquered that fear as I've moved to take up playing the game myself, but nonetheless, in the back of my head, some part of me is still scared witless of pretty much any Descent boss.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Naphtha

• Silver
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2013, 05:41:13 PM »
Oh, I was the same way with my dad in Descent 1.  Those two bosses were high-octane nightmare fuel for me at that age, especially with the engine ticking and the fact that they could reappear anywhere...

Not as much of that in Descent 2 aside from the Ice Boss and the Alien 2 Boss (though the Fire Boss was definitely added in when playing above Trainee a few years later).  I also think it's a little funny that the Descent 2 bosses with the scariest sounds are probably Red Fatty and the Alien 1 Boss, which are among the least intimidating in the game.  Kind of says how the Ice and Alien 2 Bosses didn't really need that effect... Instead, the sounds became scary from association with the harder bosses, rather than being scary by themselves.
First Lieutenant for the Red Dragons in the Descent Rangers. Join our ranks today!

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2013, 06:30:25 PM »
Seriously, the Fire Boss is much harder than the Ice Boss (although Xaihyv might disagree).  Still, the Ice Boss is infamouser.
For that matter, Descent UDK may bring back more than just the two Descent 1 bosses...  There may even be a recurring boss from D3.

I must be, like, the only one here in my age group who wasn't introduced to Descent by a parent.  The closest my dad comes to playing video games is watching the Resident Evil movies (I watched one with him once and it wasn't bad at all, and not at all like the DOOM movie, but anyway) if I remember right, when I was 5 or 6 we borrowed the CD version of Descent from a neighbor to test out our first CD-ROM drive.  I was allowed to try the game and I got hooked instantly.  It took me 3 more years to realize there was more to the game than Lunar Outpost XD.  Or that that strange four-paneled wall in the starting area of Lunar Outpost was actually a door (although I think I found most of the secret doors the first time I tried playing.  I got D3 in 1999 from a school book order.  And I quickly developed an irrational phobia of trains in video games because of a 2 fps framerate.
And I didn't manage to beat the level 7 boss until I decided to try the game again 11 years later.  Which was also the first time I played D2 and decided it was my favourite Descent and I think I've got sidetracked from the point of this post which was:

@Naptha: You're doing a Vertigo on Ace too?  :facepaw:  I just started making Why Don't We Play Descent 2 The Vertigo Series On Ace!!! to judge how people like my commentary before I do an actual Let's Play of Lost Levels.  I think I already made a reference to Ace as well... umm... the Seventh Doctor's main companion.  Which means it's too late to stop.  For some reason.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2013, 07:29:28 AM »
Really? Fire Boss is harder, you say? Hmm, last time I fought him (which was, granted, some time ago) I didn't have much trouble with him. That big room provided plenty of room to maneuver around.

I got D3 in 1999 from a school book order.

Really? Geez, I must have been getting all the wrong book orders during grade school! :P
Check out my deviantART

Offline CrazyEnzo03

• Gold
  • Just who the hell do you think I am?
« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2013, 07:47:11 AM »
I must be, like, the only one here in my age group who wasn't introduced to Descent by a parent.
Wrong. ;)
Some people are like Slinkies. They aren't really good or even useful for anything but they always manage to put a little smile on your face when you give them enough of a push down the stairs.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2013, 10:15:42 AM »
I'm 30, was never told of any game by any parent, unless you want to go back to the Atari games, (2600 & 5200).
The only computer related thing I got from my dad was "Mandrake Linux 8.1"

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2013, 11:55:30 AM »
Yer not the same age group.  Yer a slightly older age group.
I'z 22.  And I wazz born the decade after you.  It's zed, not zee.  Zed sounds more professional.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2013, 12:48:12 PM »
Maybe so. But I doubt that'd be much different. Maybe though. Parents would be younger, may have already started playing those games. It was my mom that was into Atari. I liked some of those games. They were fun.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets