Poll

Who would win?

Dr. Eggman
6 (66.7%)
Dr. Wily
3 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Author Topic: Dr. Eggman Vs. Dr. Wily  (Read 17622 times)

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
Dr. Eggman Vs. Dr. Wily
« on: December 18, 2012, 12:49:00 AM »
Two evil geniuses, each with a powerful arsenal of robots, bosses, and super weapons. Who would win?

DR. EGGMAN
Dr. Eggman is a really cool and respectable bad guy with an IQ of 300, but he's determined achieve world domination. He's got the standard robot army and he has his own boss machines. He also has a floating fleet called the Egg Fleet and the freaking Death Sta- Death Egg! And somehow, everything he owns runs off of little furry creature power. Yes, little bunnies and crap pop out of his machines when they blow up.

His major heroes include:
Shadow the Hedgehog: Shadow was engineered by him from alien DNA and was originally intended to be a "living cure" for his daughter, but she was killed before Shadow was completed. Shadow ended up going rogue as soon as he was released. He pretty much rivals Sonic and is way bad ass. He can power up using the chaos emeralds and go "Super Saiyan" but we don't call it that apparently... Probably his most popular ability is Chaos Control which allows him to manipulate space and time. Chaos Blast is also a very popular ability that enables him to throw bolts of lightning using Chaos energy. And for his ultimate weapon, he can use Chaos Blast. Think nuclear bomb.

Metal Soinc:
Metal Sonic is Sonic's robotic counterpart of Sonic and is better in every way. He's tougher, stronger, and can travel faster. He can also copy the physical forms of beings and enhance them to upgrade his body and powers to practically make him unstoppable. How the hell he manages to gain mass and energy without having to do squat is anyone's fictional guess.

Where does Dr. Eggman get all of the time and resources to make these kinds of things?

DR. WILY
And then there's Dr. Wily, a scientist who worked in the shadow of Dr. Light and is hellbent on outdoing him via criminal methods. As far as I know, he has over 100 Robot Masters, tens of mini-bosses, most notably the Yellow Devil, and thousands of little minion robots. He also has many fortresses including space stations and personal boss machines as well. He also was able to alter the moon's orbit once until he was foiled by Mega Man. He has many personal decoys and is often seen inside of his obnoxious sounding flying machine. He is also responsible for the Roboenza, a sort of "robot flu" that causes robots to go nuts and attack people and other robots indiscriminately and/or join with Dr. Wily (and Eggman uses robots. Cyberwarfare is covered by Wily, cough cough). He is also the suspected creator of the Maverick Virus that was initially implanted into Zero.

His major heroes include:
Bass:
One of Wily's greatest creations is Bass. Bass was created accidentally when Wily discovered a new element called Bassium that can power mechanoids. Bass was made with this power and is potentially more powerful than the original Mega Man, but his cockiness and lack of purpose other than fighting is his major drawback. He can learn moves just by watching others perform them. He sports a rapid fire buster and is always with his trusty robot dog Treble. He can also join with Treble to gain flight and immensely increased his firepower.

Zero:
Zero is Wily's absolute greatest creation. His agility and maneuverability is superior on both land and in the air.  His weapon of choice is the Z-Saber that can slice through anything including incoming shots from enemies. Imagine anything from one of those BlendTec "will it blend?" videos. He is also very well versed with his buster and can perform stunning and deadly combos in conjunction with his saber. If it weren't for his memory loss after a fight with Sigma (which was also triggered the Maverick Virus to escape Zero due to battle damage,) he would have been even more powerful with invulnerability and a slash attack that can wipe anything out. One of his notable abilities is his Rekkoha attack which rains down beams from the sky to wipe out droves of enemies including full on, gigantic Mechanaloids. He can also temporarily stop time in the blink of an eye.

And again, where the heck does Wily get his time and resources? One can only steal so much.
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
Re: Dr. Eggman Vs. Dr. Wily
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 05:42:23 AM »
Dr. Eggman is really "cool"? ???  I just can't picture him sitting back and being 'cool' at a social gathering.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 08:07:46 AM »
must mean cool in a bad ass way. I've always known Dr. Robotnik Eggman since the original Sonic games on Sega, including Dr. Robotniks Mean Bean Machine; Sonic 3D & Sonic pinball. I've even seen the cartoons.
Never heard of Dr. Wily. I had to read to see "Mega Man". oh ok. I've heard of them.

What happened to Robotnik anyway? Why Eggman?

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 09:46:55 AM »
In Japan, Eggman was called "Eggman" from the beginning in the very first game, but for marketing reasons that have never been entirely clear, he was named Robotnik in North America on up until Sonic Adventure when they started retiring the Robotnik name in favor of Eggman, presumably so to cut back on the confusion it was starting to cause.

Also, nitpick: Shadow was never really allied with Eggman at any time, and typically only works with Eggman if Shadow himself stands to gain something from it. In fact, he's more of a side all of his own, only interested in his affairs in the end; an anti-hero of sorts, if you will.

That said, I'm not familiar with Dr. Wily, like, at all, but judging from the description provided, he would present the bigger threat, and sounds like he has had greater successes in that department. Eggman has all the gumption, but lacks the seriousness to really "go the distance" with it. He pussyfoots around with his villain work, like he's constantly trying to get what he wants, without actually being that mean and destructive about it. Really, most of the time he just wants to put on a show of force and expect the world to just submit to him and his wishes before he actually has to make good on his threats. He's not very good at planning ahead most of the time too (though there are exceptions).
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 10:16:08 AM »
I liked the portrayal of Eggman and Shadow in Sonic Adventure 2.  Eggman, while still convinced of his own infallibility, is obsessed with Shadow to the point where he doesn't notice the obvious; that Shadow has some sort of agenda of his own.  And then it turns out that Shadow's goal is to destroy the world, which would kind of ruin Eggman's goal of conquering it.
And it wasn't Eggman's daughter it was his cousin.  Eggman didn't even know of Shadow's existence until 50 years after said cousin died.

I know nothing of Dr Wily.

Offline Sapphirus

• Gold
  • The Aura is with me!
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012, 10:39:43 AM »
Robotnik (yes, I'm a purist for his old NA name because Eggman sounds too silly)-
Haven't you guys seen him in Sonic SatAM?  He has the best voice ever! "Oh that's good!  That's really good indeed".  They could've used that appearance though, IMO.  If you ever seen this show, instead of Robotnik trying to take over the world, he already had, almost everything has been robotisized.  And Sonic and Tails are a team with a group of Freedom fighters to bring back the forest once and for all!  Point goes to Robotnik.

Been a long time since I played any Megaman game(s) (since it's sooo freaking hard)

As for the Eggman thing...Tomato Tomahto!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 10:45:31 AM by Sapphire Wolf »
Please respect my social media privacy (facebook, steam, twitter)

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 11:08:37 AM »
SatAM, eh? That would be Jim Cummings who voiced Robotnik, and yes, he did an excellent job. :D

That said, though, one should keep in mind that SatAM's portrayal of the good doctor differs from most others, and is one of the few instances in the franchise's history in which he was a serious and fairly hardcore villain (still had his moments where he acts like other Eggman portrayals though). On average, though, Eggman is not portrayed like that.

Personally, I like how Eggman's been portrayed as of late in the more recent games, namely anything post-Sonic '06, because in those he's over the top, but not so over the top that he's not believable, and you can still get a very tangible feel for the threat he can present when he applies himself.

Speaking of which, that's what it really boils down to with Eggman, whether or not you think he's actually applying himself enough as a villain. I personally think he doesn't more often than not, as already indicated. Even SatAM Robotnik had his moments where it didn't feel like he was using what was available to him fully, though indeed far fewer.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
    • YouTube
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2012, 01:33:17 PM »
Also, nitpick: Shadow was never really allied with Eggman at any time, and typically only works with Eggman if Shadow himself stands to gain something from it. In fact, he's more of a side all of his own, only interested in his affairs in the end; an anti-hero of sorts, if you will.

And Zero was never really allied with Dr. Wily at any time either, but I wanted each doctor to have one of their rogue creations on their side because both are insanely powerful. 1up to both of their arsenals!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 01:34:56 PM by NUMBERZero »
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2012, 03:51:42 PM »
More nitpick then.  Shadow was created by Eggman's grandfather, not Eggman.

Offline Foil

• Gold
  • "I've never seen its equal."
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2012, 04:09:36 PM »
I voted for Dr. Wily.  Because I like his name better, and because I've always enjoyed the MegaMan games, and Zero in particular.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2012, 09:53:43 AM »
Quote from: Kaiaatsel
More nitpick then.  Shadow was created by Eggman's grandfather, not Eggman.

Yeah, like he usually does, Eggman was just "borrowing" the power/ideas of other creations/monsters to use in his plans, only to have it blow up in his face later on when he discovers (always far too late) that said creation/monster has an agenda of its own, and isn't interested in obeying blowhard Eggman. :P

It's extremely debatable about whether or not Shadow was even built originally with nefarious intentions in mind, for that matter. Any nefarious actions he has taken has seemed to have been more out of Shadow's own free will than any instruction or intention of those supposedly trying to control him. And even then, Shadow isn't that nefarious himself. That one attempt at blowing up the world was done in a confused emotional sort of state, not thinking clearly (with possibly other factors rolled in), and you'll note that he never followed through with it, and even when presented with the chance to do it again in later games, he typically turns them down as well.

This is, of course, ignoring some of the potential plot outcomes of the game "Shadow the Hedgehog," because not ALL of those potential endings for the game could happen. :P
Check out my deviantART

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
    • YouTube
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2012, 09:30:07 PM »
I was just playing Sonic Generations and I just realized that I can jump up into enemies from a standstill and kill them in one hit. Megaman, on the other hand, sometimes has to use specific weapons or keep shooting them with lemons- I mean, plasma over and over. Even the Wily Machines are hard to take down even when using the strongest weapon (not the lemons, but chainsaws and huge charge shots). With Dr. Eggman and his giant robots, all you have to do is jump on his head a couple times and he's toast.

Dr. Eggman is now officially a paper tiger.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 09:31:53 PM by NUMBERZero »

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2012, 08:37:42 AM »
Well yeah. Otherwise you'd think the collective governments of Sonic's world would do more to stop the darn guy, rather than let Sonic save their butts all the time. :P

But, then again, these ARE politicians we're talking about... :P x2

Anyway, as I said, Eggman often has good ideas...he just doesn't use them to their full potential...or stop to think through all of the potential downfalls, in which case he just gets an idea and enacts upon it, regardless of whether or not it's actually a good, worthwhile, idea. So in the grand scheme of things, no, he's not the greatest villain in the world. Browser's probably a better villain than Eggman. HE at least succeeds at completely taking over whole kingdoms and capturing the princess on a regular basis. :P
Check out my deviantART

Offline Sapphirus

• Gold
  • The Aura is with me!
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2012, 08:49:03 AM »
Didn't you mean Bowser?
Please respect my social media privacy (facebook, steam, twitter)

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2012, 09:12:17 AM »
Augh, I'm always spelling his name wrong.  ::)
Check out my deviantART

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets