Author Topic: Windows 7 or 8?  (Read 10454 times)

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
Windows 7 or 8?
« on: November 30, 2012, 05:38:39 AM »
Two new machines here, was thinking of getting Windows 8 but I have seen a lot of complaints about the UI being difficult, not intuitive.

I'm currently using XP, would like to move to a 64 bit OS to get more memory.

Both machines have AMD 6300 processors, and 16 gb of memory. Video cards are GTX 550 Ti.

What do you think?
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline CrazyEnzo03

• Gold
  • Just who the hell do you think I am?
Re: Windows 7 or 8?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 07:42:37 AM »
For almost everything, Windows 8 performs so close to the same as Windows 7 that the only thing you really need to decide is if you would rather deal with the features of Windows 8 or the features of Windows 7.

You might get  0.01% increase in performance with Windows 8 over Windows 7 for most things while every now and then you might run into something that simply cannot run well on Windows 8 because of compatibility issues I guess.

I would rather get Windows 7 simply because the UI is tried and true.
Some people are like Slinkies. They aren't really good or even useful for anything but they always manage to put a little smile on your face when you give them enough of a push down the stairs.

Offline Foil

• Gold
  • "I've never seen its equal."
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 07:44:24 AM »
I upgraded one of my machines from 7 to 8; it's a big UI change (mostly, people don't like the touch-oriented Start screen instead of the Start Menu).  Other than that, they're very similar "underneath the hood" (e.g. out on the desktop, in apps).

Coming from XP, though, I'd suggest going to 7.  It's just more mature and familiar.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 07:47:25 AM »
Yeah, if you're hesitant about Windows 8, go for 7. I've used 7 for long enough now to know that I have pretty much no complaints about it. It's a good, stable, OS.  8)

I can't vouch for Windows 8 as I haven't used it yet, but I too have heard similar comments about it, so I am seeing something of a trend here.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 03:58:14 PM »
Not so much 'hesitant' about 8, it's just I don't have any experience with either.

My son has just pointed out that Shores of Hazeron lists a download for 7, not 8. Advantage of 8, it's cheaper than 7.  At least for now. For two of 7 it'll cost me an extra 60 bucks. And it's newer, but as someone pointed out, 7 is more mature. I've read somewhere that there is a mod for 8 that returns the start menus to more like 7.\

Edit: same price now.

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 10:35:42 PM »
There should be an upgrade from XP to 7 still.

WillyP you play SoH? Go figure. Anything that has a download for windows 7 will work on windows 8. If it runs on windows, it runs on windows, period. Bar some bizarre compatibility/driver issues.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2012, 05:00:27 PM »
It didn't work on XP. I played it when it was first released, but haven't played it since. My son wants to play it.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2012, 06:31:34 PM »
From what I heard, if you don't have a touch screen, get 7. If you do, be prepared to use 8 like a tablet.

Checking out amazon reviews, or other places can help out as well.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, 08:43:55 AM »
You are right Van, and that was my main concern about 8, that I had read that a lot of people found the UI inconvenient without a touchscreen.

Anyway, I decided on 7, for that, but largely because my son wants to play SoH, and also my other son has a laptop with 7, and getting familiar with 7 will help me be able to answer his questions.

I have also learned that 7 home can only address memory up 16gb... I have 16gb plus video, which is 1gb in one machine and 2gb in the other. For that reason I chose the Pro version.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2012, 01:16:33 PM »
going back a ways, but speaking from a non windows person, I was quite impressed with Windows XP 64bit Pro.

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
  • Former undertaker; current overtaker.
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2012, 12:50:47 AM »
All I have to say is, if we've ever learned anything from the release of Vista, it's that we should wait to see how stable it is based on public opinion. I've ranted about how much I hate Windows in the past ever since my XP got killed by a virus in April of 2011, but I've been using a Windows 7 64-bit laptop, and the thing is just fine. I've even had a couple of virus issues that I was able to eradicate pretty simply. I'll say it... I like Windows 7...  :-X
I like to think I have a Descent taste of music.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2012, 04:07:53 AM »
I used Windows 7 at work. Can't say much because what I did on that was not enough to say if it's good or bad. It literally was like one thing I did, sort of like using the calc. or just the camera. yeah, one thing only. It seemed to work fine.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2012, 07:18:03 AM »
As I said before, I've been using Windows 7 long enough to know that it is remarkably stable and works smoothly. Any and all problems I've had while using 7 usually concerns more the computer itself or the individual programs I'm attempting to run within 7 than the OS itself. I don't recall having ever used any other Windows OSs that gave me such little grief.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Pumo

• Lord PuMo, King of Torbernite
  • Gold
  • Fear the Hosakos!
    • Pumo Software
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2012, 10:15:14 AM »
IMHO, Windows 7 is the best OS released by Microsoft. Period.

It's pretty stable, easy to use, has great performance and reliability in general, and along with an anti-virus and firewall, is pretty safe. :)

I would highly recommend it.
Pumo Software main Website
- Pumo Mines current release: v1.1 (12 Levels)
R.a.M. Land official Website

Offline Foil

• Gold
  • "I've never seen its equal."
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2012, 10:27:29 AM »
I have also learned that 7 home can only address memory up 16gb... I have 16gb plus video, which is 1gb in one machine and 2gb in the other. For that reason I chose the Pro version.

FYI, the video memory is addressed separately from the main RAM, so it wouldn't have been a problem to go with the Home version.  With that said, the Pro version does come with some nice extra features, and you'll be fine if you upgrade memory again in the future.  :)

Hope it's working well for you!

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets