Author Topic: Making New Escape Sequence Terrains In D1  (Read 11401 times)

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
Re: Making New Escape Sequence Terrains In D1
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2012, 07:36:24 AM »
Got rid of it?  Heck, I still have a copy of Windows 3.1 installation diskettes.

Offline CrazyEnzo03

• Gold
  • Just who the hell do you think I am?
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2012, 09:20:04 AM »
Ah yes.  The name "Jasc" escaped me, but it was definitely made by Jasc when I was using it for this stuff.
Some people are like Slinkies. They aren't really good or even useful for anything but they always manage to put a little smile on your face when you give them enough of a push down the stairs.

Offline CrazyEnzo03

• Gold
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2012, 05:07:41 PM »
I looked around and found Paint Shop Pro 9, which looks like exactly what I used for editing before, but I have run into new problems.

First, the heightmap does not seem to match up with either of the palettes used in D1 (palette.256 and credits.256), at least to my knowledge.  I don't know how I did this back in the day, but it is no longer working.  At this moment, I can get a working terrain if I use the first 15 colors (not 16, but 15).  I do not know if any other indexes work, but I know of many that do not.  If I use an index that does not work, descent crashes with a message box saying that there is a problem with the .bbm file.

Second, though I can get something ingame, the maximum height I am able to raise the terrain to is even LESS than the completely random result in the previous screenshot posted in the thread.  Both of them are less than the apparent maximum height used in the default stock terrain.  Why?

InsanityBringer, you said you managed to do this before.  Any ideas?

Also, I tried looking in the settings for saving the .iff file, but the only settings I have found so far are compressed or uncompressed.

Neither option has any effect on what the terrain looks like.
Some people are like Slinkies. They aren't really good or even useful for anything but they always manage to put a little smile on your face when you give them enough of a push down the stairs.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2012, 06:14:10 AM »
Quote from: Techpro
Got rid of it?  Heck, I still have a copy of Windows 3.1 installation diskettes.

Oh wow, I remember that too. :P
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline CrazyEnzo03

• Gold
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2012, 05:29:53 PM »
New Breakthrough... sorta
New Breakthrough... sorta

All the same terrain.  The good news is.. I managed to do it and I can make them easily now.

The bad news is I still have absolutely no earthly idea why or how it works.  Those are what are most important to me.  Or at least I'd like to think they are.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2012, 04:21:58 AM »
If you can repeat the process I'd call that good enough. ;)
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2012, 08:09:22 AM »
I like the look of that bottom pic the most, because it has that classic D1 feel, but with enough difference to it that you can immediately notice it.  ;D
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline CrazyEnzo03

• Gold
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2012, 11:03:56 AM »
Each picture is the same heightmap on various levels in the default campaign, First Strike.
Picture 1 is Level 1
Picture 2 is Level 6
Picture 3 is Level 4 (and the only default campaign level where the exit is at an angle compared to the heightmap)
Picture 4 is... I forgot.  Level 2 or 3.

It is possible for the end of the exit sequence to put the mine exit behind terrain.  When this happens, the ship and the mine exit always render on top of the terrain.  The only level this happens that I have tested is level 5.

After level 7, all mine exits are in the same position and rotation as level 6's terrain, at least up to level 16, which is what I tested to until I got bored.

Offline CrazyEnzo03

• Gold
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2012, 09:01:09 AM »
I've recently been able to insert exits sequences into my levels again, going ape shit:

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2012, 07:53:09 AM »
Lookin' good! :D
Check out my deviantART

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets