Poll

What is the hardest D1/ D2 level boss?

D1 Level 7 boss
1 (6.3%)
D1 Final boss
0 (0%)
D2 Level 4 boss (Red Fatty) I love that.
0 (0%)
D2 Level 8 boss (Water boss)
0 (0%)
D2 Level 12 boss (Fire boss)
0 (0%)
D2 Level 16 boss (Ice boss) Pure evil!!
13 (81.3%)
D2 Level 20 boss (alien 1 boss)
0 (0%)
D2 Level 24 boss (alien 2 boss)
2 (12.5%)
D2 1st Vertigo boss
0 (0%)
D2 final Vertigo boss
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Author Topic: Which is the hardest D1/ D2 level boss?  (Read 16554 times)

Offline PyroJockey

• Gold
  • Old school
Re: Which is the hardest D1/ D2 level boss?
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2009, 09:28:56 PM »
For some variety try the bosses in Descent: Maximum. They appear to be the same bosses found in Descent 2 and in the same level numbers but the layout of the levels are totally different.

For those who aren’t familiar with Descent: Maximum, it was the equivalent of a Descent 2 release for the original Sony Playstation. It has since been ported to Descent 2 for the PC.  The levels are smaller and unique to Maximum. (Kind of a contradiction, Maximum with smaller levels)

http://www.dfiles.de/download/d2/missions/maximum.zip
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 09:31:45 PM by PyroJockey »
There are times you strive for greatness, to reach lofty goals and accomplish
noble deeds. Then there’s the rest of the times you just want to blow s--- up.

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2009, 05:39:13 AM »
I tnink you can complete the first 3 levels in under 3 minutes if I heard correctly! XD
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline SaladBadger

• Gold
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2009, 06:47:15 AM »
Probably. There's almost NO searching in the first levels. A key is 5 feet away from the door it opens

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2009, 06:51:28 AM »
Heh, Descent: Maximum is fun. I always found it was a bit more D1-like in attitude but definitely with that D2 twist. So, I guess it's kind of a D1-and-a-half. :P It's actually a bit easier too, because the levels are so much shorter. Some of the levels are more crafty than the originals, too, an added plus. :)

So it's not a replacement for D2, but still well worth the time to play. :)

Now, about the flashes, they work on any bot, but to a certain extent, NUMBERZero's right. A flash will still blind a bot, but not long enough for it to be really effective. Furthermore, I've noticed that the bigger the bot, the more likely it is to fire blindly. Probably the problem NUMBERZero is facing. Also, a flash will kind of "stun" the smaller bots for a few brief seconds (usually making them spin like tops :P) but that doesn't work on the bigger bots, such as a Lou Guard.

Regardless, the flash will still blind any bot, and if hit with it, will still damage it, and that's the point we're trying to get across. :)
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2009, 08:21:38 AM »
That makes sence.  :D
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2009, 04:48:23 PM »
When you open the door of the passage to that boss, just ahead of you is a up/down passage with the down opening to the Boss's room and the up dead ending.  First bots you'll encounter are those pesky red tail spike spawns.  Entice them to come for you and pick them off (I use the Omega and/or Napalm to waste them) before you actually enter the Boss's room.

There is a napalm cannon in the lost levels mod, I think.

I've actually found flash missiles very useful against the tough robots in the later levels of the Obsidian mission.  I just have to make sure to flash the IDRs before they flash me (and they always drop one or two packs of flash missiles, so I never run out.)

Offline D2Disciple

• Major
  • Gold
  • Deal with it.
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2009, 07:56:17 PM »
I liked Descent Maximum. Agreed with everything Scyphi said.

I will say, though, that the levels are indeed extremely short. I can beat ten of its twenty-seven levels in one sitting. And yes, NZ, you're correct - the first level can be beaten within three minutes, due to it's extremely small design (the spawning room -> tunnel -> large room containing both red key and red door -> reactor room -> exit).

I know that I would certainly have not bought it for the Playstation, though. Too little game here to really stand on its own two feet.

However, D:Maximum might make for a very interesting speedrun campaign, though. With practice, I could see someone finishing the game within 3 hours.
I, for one, hope this is much, much more than a reconnaissance mission.

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2009, 08:32:40 PM »
I, personally, LOVE using Flash missiles to momentarily blind/numb a bot (or bots) while I line up my primary (Gauss anyone?) to put them out of their misery, or drill them with full lasers while they can't dodge anything.

Offline Zantor

• Silver
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2009, 02:35:53 PM »
D2 L16; I hate his homing flash crap. 'Nuff said.

Offline DarkWing

• Gold
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2009, 05:05:14 PM »
Odd, I always thought of the D2 Level 16 Boss as a Female.  :-\

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets