Author Topic: 3D Coat is the beans  (Read 2328 times)

Offline Canceler

• Silver
  • reee!
    • visit my plebsite
3D Coat is the beans
« on: November 12, 2012, 02:54:16 AM »
so after ruling out Softimage as my modelling package in favor of Blender, since Softimage is $3000 and doesn't have sculpting, i was looking for some way to do retopology over high-poly models, only to realize Blender doesn't do it. this is because sculpts are supposed to happen on subdivided, already-existing lowpoly geometry, which means making my eyes bleed doing polygons like always. i then remembered 3D Coat. you sculpt your stuff with voxels like clay in blissful disregard to topology and then worry about it later. i've only been using the demo for like a day and a half and already i know this is the package i will be making most of my creatures in, maybe also including world design (or at least some neat prefabs to enhance terrain)

obligatory noob wip:

i need to fix up the lower teeth a bit but after retopologizing his noggin i could stick bones up his face in blender and make him eat people in unity. gone are the days of slowly and painfully polymodeling things :> zbrush can't touch this

oh and all this to say that yes i am still working on the friggin stick man thing, except not as continuing from previous work, since all of the old stuff sucked. now that i know what i'm doing and what i'm going to use, Funky Stickman is more of a reality now than it ever has been, even though he doesn't even exist yet.  8)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 02:59:50 AM by Canceler »
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
Re: 3D Coat is the beans
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 08:50:03 AM »
Ohhoho, I remember Funky Stickman! In fact, I think I still have your first game lying around on my hard drive somewhere...
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Canceler

• Silver
  • reee!
    • visit my plebsite
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 10:07:19 AM »
update to skull person
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Online Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 04:44:56 PM »
Neat.
If this is the sort of work you do I may have a mod project to invite you to sometime in the near future.  I can definitely see you have the qualifications :D.

And I remember Funky Stickman... but not from here or anywhere (or anywho) else related to Descent.  A friend showed it to me years and years ago.  I think I've mentioned this before.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 04:46:39 PM by Kaiaatsel »

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets