Author Topic: Hellbender: Ravaging Ops  (Read 6613 times)

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
Hellbender: Ravaging Ops
« on: October 26, 2012, 02:09:08 AM »
I've talked about it a few times before. Hellbender is a Descent-like game, just without the sliding controls. It was story driven with a few dynamic events and it had unique maps, enemies, objectives, plenty of bosses, and a rival ace.

It was made by Terminal Reality (they recently did the new Ghostbusters game) and the project lead I think was the guy who did the original Microsoft Flight Simulator. The game was thrown in with a lot of new computers if you bought one way back in the mid 90's. Hellbender was actually my first game of all time because of that, and I am proud of it.
I also may be slipping it into my novels that I am writing >.>

But, anywho, Hellbender: Ravaging Ops is a fan game that is starting to surface. It features another story driven campaign with 14 levels spanning across 6 different worlds. So far, the maker has a tiny demo that can be played by simply using your browser window. It looks really good compared to the old game and it sound exactly the same. It uses the Unity engine. If you played the original, you'll feel like you're right back in the Hellbender. If not, then you'll be in for a simple, yet super satisfying arcade-like, flight simulation shooter. When the enemies start flowing and the explosions get blowing, then you're in for some serious fun.
And it will be free, so what's there to lose when you decide to support it if you like it?
http://www.indiedb.com/games/hellbender-ravaging-ops/
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
    • YouTube
Re: Hellbender: Ravaging Ops
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 08:21:24 PM »
And while I'm on the subject, I'll just leave these two here.

The Hellbender:

Ship from Cloud Atlas (new movie):

And the original Hellbender had a bubble cockpit (unlike the one in the first picture). I have discovered another uncanny reference between games and movies.
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline Sapphirus

• Gold
  • The Aura is with me!
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 12:25:52 PM »
Hellbender is a Descent-like game
More like a Fury or Terminal Velocity-like game.  Wait... what came first, Terminal Velocity or Hellbender?
Please respect my social media privacy (facebook, steam, twitter)

Offline Vito

• Silver
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 01:28:43 PM »
First Terminal Velocity and then Hellbender that at the time was one of the first games for Windows 95.

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
    • YouTube
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 01:46:55 PM »
Hellbender is a Descent-like game
More like a Fury or Terminal Velocity-like game.  Wait... what came first, Terminal Velocity or Hellbender?
Fury3 and TV had a lot of straight indoor tunnels that you could not maneuver in. Hellbender had loads of tunnels that you could freely explore like in Descent.
But obviously Hellbender is more like Fury3 because it is its sequel  ::)

Order of release: Fury3-->Terminal Velocity-->Hellbender
Terminal Velocity is actually not a part of the Fury3/Hellbender universe. (tbh, I think Terminal Velocity was kind of a troll game. The final boss was a big TV screen with a picture from a Simpsons episode, I think)

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets