Author Topic: May I present to you a new Pyro-GX model for D2  (Read 5470 times)

Offline CrazyEnzo03

• Gold
  • Just who the hell do you think I am?
May I present to you a new Pyro-GX model for D2
« on: October 25, 2012, 01:02:07 PM »
Feast your eyes upon this, for I have not seen a better looking Pyro available for all forms of D2:

You can fly your very own right here: http://enspiar.com/dmdb/viewMission.php?id=592
I will not be severely modifying the model from its current state.  At 507 vertices, I cannot do much more (polytron's limit is 512, and yes it is a terrible program).

TODO:
  • Create a version of this Pyro split up into submodels for use as a "destroyed" variant.  Note: it's already split up, it's just all in one submodel, like the stock Pyro-GX used as a player model.  I just have a problem with crappytron refusing to save a version with multiple submodels, though I wonder if I just need to make sure all chunks are completely sealed.
  • Perhaps make some finishing touches on texture alignment.
  • If there is a way to do so, I would like to make use of various tools including COB2PM to see if I can make proper BSP Tree data or.. is that what it's called?  I don't know since I'm not currently on a computer with the polytron manual that explains it.  I would really like to see if I could make the model actually look okay on DOS D2, which it does not, and I'm not sure if Rebirth's software renderer has the same problem with sorting out render order for parts of a polymodel.  I might ask Ryusei if he can help me out with setting up a version of Rebirth that uses software rendering, since he always uses software renderer.
Special thanks to JinX, Blarget2, Descent Freak/Shadow Hyena, and Obi-Wan Kenobi/Gold Leader/Tylosaurus_DTF for playtesting, and extra thanks to Obi/Gold Leader/Tylo for the screenshot.
Some people are like Slinkies. They aren't really good or even useful for anything but they always manage to put a little smile on your face when you give them enough of a push down the stairs.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
Re: May I present to you a new Pyro-GX model for D2
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 05:50:31 AM »
Those are some nice looking Pyros. :D
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline SaladBadger

• Gold
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2012, 09:01:49 AM »

TODO:
  • If there is a way to do so, I would like to make use of various tools including COB2PM to see if I can make proper BSP Tree data or.. is that what it's called?  I don't know since I'm not currently on a computer with the polytron manual that explains it.  I would really like to see if I could make the model actually look okay on DOS D2, which it does not, and I'm not sure if Rebirth's software renderer has the same problem with sorting out render order for parts of a polymodel.  I might ask Ryusei if he can help me out with setting up a version of Rebirth that uses software rendering, since he always uses software renderer.
I'm not certain if there are actually any tools out there that can generate the BSP tree, actually. Back in the day when this software was getting produced I'm not sure if anyone precisely determined how the data works.

When I get back to working on my tools, I might look into doing a BSP system for them.

Offline CrazyEnzo03

• Gold
  • Just who the hell do you think I am?
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2012, 12:27:22 PM »
It would probably be a good idea since the software renderer for Rebirth - which people do in fact use - also requires correct BSP Tree data.

From what I understand, models made into polymodels via COB2PM can have good tree data, especially seeing that version of the Hellion in some D2 mission.. I think, but I don't know this for sure.
Some people are like Slinkies. They aren't really good or even useful for anything but they always manage to put a little smile on your face when you give them enough of a push down the stairs.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets