Author Topic: The Ascent Project - Diamond Claw WIPs  (Read 7949 times)

Offline TheAscentProject

• Silver
The Ascent Project - Diamond Claw WIPs
« on: October 10, 2012, 02:19:38 PM »
Hello everyone!

You guys voted and, as promised, I will now start uploading and describing the relevant WIPs of my work on the Diamond Claw.

I hope I don't become annoyingly "tl;dr" with my descriptions, please let me know if I do. :)

Make sure to check back periodically as any further uploads will be done here in the OP.

>> Let's start with my very first sketch - as I did with the Smelter, I wanted to envision this bot before the infection while grounding it in practicality. How would a mega-corporation whose ultimate goal is maximizing profit design a mining bot? As far as the main hull, it would definitely be a bare-bones construction, saving on hull plating and relying on the chassis to act as a rollcage of sorts to provide minimal protection to the internal components. How about the mining itself? I did a bit of research on modern mining/boring machinery and sketched a 2-in-1 system based on the shape of the original Diamond Claw: dual drilling tips and lateral boring heads, I figured four of these in a zero-g environment would get any kind of tunneling done.

>> I then became a little obsessed with that 2-in-1 idea for the Swingarms. So far all my models have had very simple animations and I wanted to try and incorporate something more complex here so I designed, modeled, and animated a transforming drilling/boring swingarm as a proof of concept.
[youtube]WA8c_UluJRU[/youtube]
(There is further information in the Video Description)

>> Having established all that, I began work on the actual post-infection hull (the actual recreation of the model). This is a very early sketch when I was still looking for a direction in which to take the model while I "established" notable external components. For example, that "structure" in the middle is the Energy Pulse Emitter (fires those plasma balls) while the components at the bottom left and right are the receptors that charge up the pulse emitter by absorbing excess energy every time the shields are hit with energy weapons. But I was very unsatisfied with the shapes of the hull. (Oh and I know... Those thrusters look like R2 units :P )

>> Then, I had an epiphany and decided to "go back to basics" and sketch my Diamond Claw using much more aggressive shapes and "pointy ends". I soon found inspiration on modern stealth fighters, specifically the F-117 and began thinking of the virus' use of the DC as a stealth assassin - which kind of matches up with its in-game AI. I also scrapped the original idea of the Swingarms, going back to the good-old claws.

>> Things with the hull finally climaxed one day when I got extremely inspired, grabbed my Wacom, and let the juices flow digitally:

>> A more stealthy color theme:

At present, the sketching phase is about finished and I'm almost ready to begin 3D. I still have to finish concept work on the Swingarms since I scrapped the 2-in-1 idea. I am also working on both a 2D CAD concept (with some internal components) and a final digital sketch (similar to the last upload) based on those CAD views.

I have quite high ambitions with this model. Whenever I work on the CAD I toy with the idea of modeling each armor plate and component completely separately so that I can add in major internal components. We shall see where it goes, but I would love for it to get to that.

As always, thank you for your support!

>> *UPDATE* Here is the final sketch of the hull all done in CAD. Since I'm very happy with its general look there aren't any major changes, I just needed to do this in CAD because I wanted to actually figure and settle on values for all the major angles as it will make the 3D workflow much easier. Now I'm working on a rough CAD (nothing like this) of the side view as well as trying to settle with a final functional design for the claws. I will post as soon as they're ready - see you guys soon!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 06:41:54 PM by TheAscentProject »

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
Re: The Ascent Project - Diamond Claw WIPs
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 05:17:02 PM »
Nice, I'm liking how it looks, and I'm additionally glad you decided to stick with the basics. The whole boring heads thing, while logical and a cool concept, weren't selling it for me.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 05:19:06 PM by Scyphi »
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 05:56:27 PM »
WANT

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 07:35:10 PM »
FUND IT. The final designs there are the best.
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline TheAscentProject

• Silver
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2012, 11:58:21 AM »
Nice, I'm liking how it looks, and I'm additionally glad you decided to stick with the basics. The whole boring heads thing, while logical and a cool concept, weren't selling it for me.
Yeah I liked it too, I still think it would look great in the final 3D model but I can't really accept how much that deviates from the original model.

Offline TheAscentProject

• Silver
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2012, 12:02:10 PM »
By the way, I want to let everyone know that I am not at all closed off to suggestions/criticisms/ideas/comments! By all means if you have anything to suggest just throw it my way, I can't necessarily guarantee I'll implement it but who knows! :)

Offline TheAscentProject

• Silver
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2012, 06:45:22 PM »
*Bump with update!*

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2012, 07:58:51 AM »
Still looking absolutely great! :D
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Viper1999

• Silver
  • Now where was I?
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2013, 06:15:12 PM »
Diamond Claws are my favorite! :D

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2013, 07:35:43 PM »
Willing to forgive the huge necro to encourage any activity whatsoever here on PD.net. Welcome to the community! I agree, Diamond Claws are probably one of the best designs of Descent, and I know they sure scared the crap out me lol.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2013, 09:32:05 PM »
Hi Viper.
I've seen you before somewhere, I'm sure.  But I don't remember what I was called.
Maybe it was in the actual game.  Which still exists.

Offline Viper1999

• Silver
  • Now where was I?
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2013, 11:09:13 PM »
Willing to forgive the huge necro to encourage any activity whatsoever here on PD.net. Welcome to the community! I agree, Diamond Claws are probably one of the best designs of Descent, and I know they sure scared the crap out me lol.

They used to scare the living crap out of me as well especially from behind. Would've been much scarier if the behavior of it was combined with a Weeping Angel, You know like not blinking at it? That would've been way more scarier when you had to keep looking at it without blinking. What do you think of that?

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2013, 09:02:47 AM »
That when you can see it, you can shoot it.  So unless it's indestrictible (which would be absolutely broken :P) it won't last long once you see it.  Probably making it easier to kill.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets