Poll

Would you like the NapalmCannon to appear in FlightBack?

Take It.
6 (66.7%)
Leave it.
3 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Author Topic: NapalmCannon, Take it or Leave it.  (Read 8989 times)

Offline Ronin RedFox

• PotD Maintainer
  • Gold
  • Dat Red Fox
NapalmCannon, Take it or Leave it.
« on: August 05, 2009, 03:17:23 PM »
Well, im asking this question because i find that the Napalm cannon is kinda stupid. So i asked one of the developers of Flight Back if we should remove it. And he said we should make a poll about it. So here it is.  :)
http://www.odf-online.org/ Home to Flight Back, D321GO!, and other Descent related projects, all open source!

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
Re: NapalmCannon, Take it or Leave it.
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 04:55:55 PM »
Depends on the loadout of the other weapon slots.
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 06:03:23 PM »
I voted to Take It. I like the Napalm Cannon. It's good in close quarters against a fast moving opponent. And my kids love it.

One thing I've always thought, it would be really cool if the fire transferred to another object upon contact. For example, you just napalmed an opponent and he turns around an rams you before he dies, now your on fire, too. AI could have a feature that if they get napalmed they try to ram you before they die. I think this feature would bring the napalm to a new level!
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Ronin RedFox

• PotD Maintainer
  • Gold
  • Dat Red Fox
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 06:49:48 PM »
One thing I've always thought, it would be really cool if the fire transferred to another object upon contact. For example, you just napalmed an opponent and he turns around an rams you before he dies, now your on fire, too. AI could have a feature that if they get napalmed they try to ram you before they die. I think this feature would bring the napalm to a new level!

It already does that.  ???
http://www.odf-online.org/ Home to Flight Back, D321GO!, and other Descent related projects, all open source!

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
    • YouTube
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 07:09:27 PM »
I'm more inclined to take it, but I'm still not voting till I get some details (or if you say I can't).

The bots don't intentionally ram you. It's either by accident or if they are a melee bot.
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline Foil

• Gold
  • "I've never seen its equal."
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009, 06:39:52 AM »
Personally, I love the napalm cannon.  It's a bit weak in D3, but it's one of the most fun weapons they implemented.

For example, you just napalmed an opponent and he turns around an rams you before he dies, now your on fire, too.

It already does that.

Yep, I get 'lit up' by bumping into other flaming players in multiplayer games often.  Happens often in the tight hallways of Varicose Veins CTF.  :)

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2009, 05:04:35 PM »
Well, I had to go try it, so I made a level with one room, two bots and a napalm cannon and a napalm missle. So, I set the bot on fire and bumped it all over the place and did not get burned at all.

I'll take your word for in multiplayer, I don't play MP more than a few times a week.  :o
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Foil

• Gold
  • "I've never seen its equal."
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2009, 06:19:21 AM »
Hm, maybe it's only a multiplayer thing.

... Now I'm picturing WillyP's ship flying around a room, ramming into flaming bots...  :D

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
    • YouTube
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2009, 08:18:54 AM »
They don't call it a Pyro for nothin! ;)

Offline D2Disciple

• Major
  • Gold
  • Deal with it.
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2009, 08:05:35 PM »
It's not terribly useful, but it's fun to play with. I mean, if you're telling me Helix vs Napalm or something, I'll take the helix anyday. But if there's no reason to leave it out, then stick it in.

But the Napalm Rocket has GOT to stay. It's easily the most destructive and most fun weapon of D3, and definitely my favorite missile of the entire series (I've probably scored more kills with napalm rockets than any other weapon in D3).
I, for one, hope this is much, much more than a reconnaissance mission.

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2009, 06:53:25 AM »
Well... the places I like Napalm the best is places where there are the small, tiny, and little spawn bots.  Why?  Hit them with Napalm and forget about them 'cause they will blow in a moment.  Plus, those small bots aren't big enough to ram/bump you and "share the burn" which is nice 'cause I hate try to snipe them off with more valuable weapons.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2009, 07:10:02 AM »
Speaking of the "share the burn" effect, I've noticed it being transferred from robots to players (and back again) myself, but only half the time. It seems like it's selective, like it only works on half the robots.  :-\
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
    • YouTube
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2009, 09:40:15 AM »
Works on all of them for me.

Offline SaladBadger

• Gold
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2009, 03:45:55 PM »
Might just be a kind of glitchy behavour then.

Offline Ronin RedFox

• PotD Maintainer
  • Gold
  • Dat Red Fox
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2009, 05:56:37 PM »
D3 is a glitch.  :P

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets