Author Topic: How do you adjust the music volume using itunes?  (Read 5068 times)

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
How do you adjust the music volume using itunes?
« on: August 06, 2012, 02:27:17 PM »
As we know, not all music is created equally. I have some music, no doubt, classical, that is not loud enough when at work compared to most music that I have.
iTunes "claims" that you can raise the volume. Been there, lots of times. Does it go up when iTunes is playing my song? yep. How about when I re convert it to an MP3? nope. I go to the itunes/music folder, see the new MP3s that have been created. any change? nope.
I have gone up 30%, 40%, even 100%, and not a change. volume still the same.

Anyone else have better luck than me?

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
Re: How do you adjust the music volume using itunes?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 03:27:30 PM »
Have you gone into the iTunes Equalizer?  You can adjust the "Preamp" and the various frequency levels.  iTunes defaults on "Flat" which is (IMHO) very dull and unappealing.  I always adjust it to my liking (and according to the limitations of the speakers/headphones in use).

EDIT:  Have you also gone into the "Playback" section of the Preferences?   There are a couple settings that will impact your playback quality/volume/etc.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 03:29:05 PM by TechPro »

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 07:08:37 PM »
I must be doing something wrong. everything sounds like it gets a touch louder, or quieter. but no luck when I convert it to an MP3 again.

Am I missing a step? doing the wrong thing? If you had an MP3 you wanted louder, how would you go about getting it louder, and to be in an MP3 format?

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 07:54:47 PM »
iTunes probably applies some sort of compression when it's playing the file back but when it converts it it keeps it "pure".
I don't want to get all technical audio-engineery stuff so all I can really say is that significantly amplifying the volume of a track that's already peaking at 0 db, depending on how it's done, can either result in a lot of distortion or various "pumping" sounds -- known as overcompression.  I think iTunes does it in the latter way.

When music is left at a quieter volume like that, especially with classical music, it usually is a conscious decision to allow for more "dynamic range" -- the range between the louder and quieter parts of the song.  In short, it's probably what the composer or orchestra (depending on whether the composer was alive at a time to know about this technology :P) intended.

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 09:45:39 PM »
Are you listening on an iPod/iPhone or a generic?

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 10:09:53 PM »
I must be doing something wrong. everything sounds like it gets a touch louder, or quieter. but no luck when I convert it to an MP3 again.

Am I missing a step? doing the wrong thing? If you had an MP3 you wanted louder, how would you go about getting it louder, and to be in an MP3 format?
As far as I know, iTunes doesn't let you alter the levels of a recording at all (as that would break any and all copyrights for any copyrighted material).  It only let's you change the levels your installation of iTunes uses for playback.  If you're trying to change the audio levels of the recorded file, you're going to have to use something else.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 03:02:23 AM »
makes perfect sense. you can cut the music in half, either at the starting position, or ending, or both, but you can't raise the volume to simply hear it better. only reason I am not fond of classical, hard to hear at work.

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2012, 07:49:39 AM »
iTunes is intended to be used as a dock program for an iPod, not as an all-purpose music conversion program. If you're not using it with an iPod, some features (most features) just won't work. Including sound leveling.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2012, 11:35:11 AM »
I suppose that makes some sense. I have no ipod, iphone or any iAnything. Just the iMac.

Offline Foil

• Gold
  • "I've never seen its equal."
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2012, 11:37:11 AM »
There are some good apps out there for levelling the volume of .mp3s; foobar is one I've heard numerous good things about.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2012, 01:22:48 PM »
I swear by Foobar.
I appeal to my own authority :P.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2012, 03:48:55 PM »
I'm not seeing foobar for the iMac.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2012, 08:29:49 AM »
Leveling is a pretty basic feature and I would think any program that can rip mp3's would be able to level existing tracks. Though, I wouldn't have a clue as to what is available on Mac.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2012, 11:29:04 AM »
How about linux, like pclinuxos? I still have it, but something is dying. Laptop is getting bad.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets