Author Topic: An old preview  (Read 6057 times)

Offline Hunter

• Gold
  • Sectorgame
    • Sectorgame
An old preview
« on: July 27, 2012, 02:22:10 AM »
Back in 2007, shortly after the release of the 'Basewars' multiplayer set, I had wanted to take all of the content produced for Basewars and put it into an interactive single player mission. The plan was to create a small story, and set it in the backdrop of the Hyperspace universe, established in the Hyperspace & Basewars levels. It wasn't until 2009 that I actually started to work on this project (after many rewrites) and although it was a difficut challenge due to the limitations of Descent 3's engine, I was able to come up with some pleasing results. My plans changed a little bit, and what was meant to be one long mission ended up being a 7-mission set known as 'Silent Fury'.

But I stopped working on it for various reasons, and again it went into the achive. I poked around with it again in 2010, and again last year, but never really made much progress and never seemed to have the will to finish it. 4 missions had been semi-completed, with the remaining 3 templates in place. But I guess I just wasn't pleased with the end results. Although Descent 3's limitations can be overlooked, I was actually displeased with the missions themselves and the stories I'd written for them. I felt like I was 'showing all the goods too soon' when I should've been gradually easing the player into the story. So, I just ended up giving up on the project because I felt that there A. There wasn't enough interest in it anyway, B. D3's limitations were always causing crashes and C. There was too much downtime between actually building stuff, most of the time was spent just fixing things.

So, seeing as I never finished Silent Fury and probably will never release it in it's current state, I've decided to upload a little preview clip from one of the missions. The clip is ofcourse from the Alpha version of a mission, and it has no voice or music added to it.  You can find the 3 minute clip here:

Hyperspace: Silent Fury Tech Demo

It does seem a shame to let all the work go to waste, but I am reluctant to release any of the material produced for the level set. And to be true there wasn't that much produced anyway - it was only ever meant to be a single player version of Basewars with a twist. It had about 20-30 new models, some new weapons, new textures and ofcourse a plethora of scripting including team mates you could call for help, a medical repair ship, interactive storyline, etc. I might post some more clips of the other missions soon, seeing as I won't be releasing them. As for the future of the Hyperspace series?  Well I am holding back all the content because I want to reuse it at some point down the road, perhaps in a completely rewritten set of mini-missions - And I still have another single player mission I never got around to finishing, which I'll also be posting a preview of.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 02:29:06 AM by Hunter »
Sectorgame.com - Descent and Freespace mods/levels.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
Re: An old preview
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 06:52:34 AM »
Aw, crud.  :(

Just for the record, I, for one, was all for Silent Fury, and I seriously wish it'd still come to be.

Personally, I think the whole Basewars/Hyperspace universe you've built Hunter has a lot of potential as single-player minded missions, so I hope you still pursue that aspect in some shape or form in the future. I'd hate to see that potential to go to waste.

That said, I wish there was more I could to do help besides provide moral support and interest, but it's no secret that I dislike working with D3Edit, and the degree of skill required to help build something like Hyperspace is beyond my abilities anyway.  :-\
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 10:17:09 AM »
Put it this way hunter.. I haven't actually played D3 in months, and it's been even longer since I've played a user-made singleplayer mission. I haven't even installed it on my new computer yet, but I'd reinstall in a heartbeat for this mission.

It does seem a shame to let it go to waste, but I know hunter well enough to know he'd never accept somebody else working with his stuff (believe me I tried once ;) ). Hopefully we'll see the material in a future project? *hint hint*

Also, Hunter... Y U TEASE SO MUCH?!

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 12:54:33 PM »
It looks like something that might be better suited as a singleplayer mod for Miner Wars once the modding tools are finished.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 05:17:30 PM »
Put it this way hunter.. I haven't actually played D3 in months, and it's been even longer since I've played a user-made singleplayer mission. I haven't even installed it on my new computer yet, but I'd reinstall in a heartbeat for this mission.

I feel about the same. Only difference, I'd have to buy it again. Bought D3 for linux, that broke. Ordered D3 on mac, and they send me D1 instead.

Watching it reminded me of FreeSpace, and why I typically preferred that over Descent.
Looks amazing.

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 09:37:24 PM »
Descent 3 has separate licensing for each OS?

Also, if they gave you the wrong game... Make them give the right one!

(Also use windows! *ducks*)

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2012, 07:32:00 AM »
Good to know I'm not the only one who doesn't have D3 installed on their computer, but my only excuse is that I've just been too lazy to do it, and the fact that the only copy in the house really belongs to Techpro, so...

Doesn't help that all the OTHER computers in this house has D3 installed either, so whenever I get the hankerin' t' play D3,  it's frequently easier to just jump onto another computer.

Anyway, ditto IHateHacker's hope that this material will still appear somewhere else if not in Silent Fury. :)
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2012, 07:36:29 AM »
Haven't had a windows OS in years now. But won't get into why. Like to stay on topic. It that guy gave me the right disc, I could be playing Descent 3 on the mac.
that game looks like some fun!

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2012, 11:09:03 AM »
Download it, you've already bought it. You just got a Windows disk instead of a Mac disk.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2012, 11:19:48 AM »
True! Since you have already paid for a legal license, go here:Download Descent 3 and follow the instructions. Thomas's installer works well, and you get a lot of other stuff like missions included.

First you'll need to get a windows box setup, though.  ;)

Anyway back on topic:

8)
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2012, 11:28:37 AM »
I meant to download the Mac version.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2012, 12:21:19 PM »
Had windows copy. Got rid of, no Windows.
Had Linux copy, it broke in a Bluray drive, spun too fast for that fragile disc. Couldn't get another copy, very rare
purchased one for mac, but they sent me a d1 game instead.

no copy of Descent 3 anywhere, no version, no nothing.

Offline DwnUndr

• Silver
    • Team RIP
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2012, 04:36:56 PM »
Great stuff Hunter.  We really need to get you interested in the UnderVerse, I have big things planned for the Christmas release.  :)

Offline CrazyEnzo03

• Gold
  • Just who the hell do you think I am?
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2012, 10:06:08 AM »
Whoa long time no see from DwnUndr... and the Hyperspace/Basewars universe.

This kind of stuff makes me want to get back into D3 editing again.
Some people are like Slinkies. They aren't really good or even useful for anything but they always manage to put a little smile on your face when you give them enough of a push down the stairs.

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2012, 11:40:53 AM »
Had windows copy. Got rid of, no Windows.
Had Linux copy, it broke in a Bluray drive, spun too fast for that fragile disc. Couldn't get another copy, very rare
purchased one for mac, but they sent me a d1 game instead.

no copy of Descent 3 anywhere, no version, no nothing.
Point being you've purchased D3 at least twice. You own a license for the game. Go download it, the mac version's got to be up somewhere.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets