Author Topic: Friendly suggestions  (Read 7885 times)

Offline D2Disciple

• Major
  • Gold
  • Deal with it.
Friendly suggestions
« on: May 01, 2009, 07:57:38 AM »
I have just a few suggestions regarding the layout of the forums. They are well done indeed, but I see a few things that could be changed.

• As Kaiz mentioned in a mess hall post, the recent activity (which I find redundant itself) and stats bar could stand to be moved to the bottom. It makes the page cluttered.
  • I don't see the need for the Shout Box to be on every single page. Perhaps that could tucked away in, say, the forum index page only? Just a thought.
  • Links have no color change or formatting to them, making them indistinguishable from normal text. Fixing this should be just a simple matter of changing a couple of color codes in the HTML.
  • Shout Box usernames are a shade of blue that makes it difficult to read. If this were a lighter shade, it would be easier.
  • There are no lines, spaces, or separators between posts. A simple horizontal line between posts would be sufficient to make posts look and feel more organized.
  • Grey is always good, but there is an overall lack of color that still bugs me a bit... If some of the headers were colored, it would make me happy. Just a personal gripe, though.

I know this is a work in progress, and, of course, you are free to accept or ignore constructive criticism as you please. Just throwing out some ideas. Otherwise, good work, I'm all for minimalism and I like your forums' take on that.  ;)
I, for one, hope this is much, much more than a reconnaissance mission.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
Re: Friendly suggestions
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 03:48:08 PM »
Most of that I agree. I like having the shoutbox on every page, though. I think if people start conversing there, I can still surf the site without missing anything or having to go back to the main forum index. I do think it should be a little seperate from the rest of the page.

I kinda like having recent posts on the left, gives me direct navigation to topic I haven't read. But it does make the page cluttered and crowded.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline The Chief

• Commander
  • Silver
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2009, 09:00:20 AM »
Your concerns are all valid and will be addressed in the near future, as time permits. Thanks for the feedback! It would help immensely if a consensus could be formed... Post a topic for each item, perhaps a poll or two.  8)

I am still working on a few functional snafus.

Also, if someone wants to make some graphics, we need graphics to replace the on and off graphics in the forum index, the headers are also graphics, anywhere there are default theme graphics and you would like to create and submit replacements, make a topic and post some mockups of what you would like to do.

Offline D2Disciple

• Major
  • Gold
  • Deal with it.
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2009, 12:09:27 PM »
Thanks! I'll conclude what I feel like people are asking or looking for the most and prioritize starting polls for those first (to avoid starting 10 topics when all suggestions cannot, of course, be taken into account at one time).

I do a slight bit of graphic design and could probably come up with something for the index. Do you have Descent objects in mind (such as Pyros, shield orbs, energy stars, invulnerability orbs, etc.)? Or would you like something else?

Offline (LL)Atan

• Gold
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 09:45:31 AM »
As for me, I can't like that 'Shout Box' very well.
It's confusing me, every time my eyes are forced to that 'post in post'
If something to tell/say, just use the related area inside this forum.
Maybe it would be acceptable at one place only, i.e. the welcome screen.
Just my 5 Euro cent ;)

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 04:53:53 PM »
Of course, there is that little bar in the RH corner of most items that allow you to tuck that item out of view.  Definately cleans up the view.

You know, if the recent posts was at the top, we could simply open it when desired, leave it closed the rest of the time this allowing for a wider view of the posts, keeps the 'recent posts' near if desired, and (I think) would be a cleaner less cluttered view.

The shout box can stay at the bottom (IMO) and if people don't like it, simply hit the little bar to hide it away.

Offline (LL)Atan

• Gold
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2009, 09:24:21 AM »
Of course, there is that little bar in the RH corner
Ok, that was that hint, overlooked it :)

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2009, 05:02:09 PM »
You know ... I was just looking at the other Descent related forums (PD.com, DBB.net, DBB.com, D2X-XL, DXX-Rebirth, etc.) and noticed that most (not all) are using a default font size just a small step smaller than the default font size on this forum.

Begin font size 9pt:
So I got to wondering.  If PD.net defaulted to a slightly smaller font, would it then have a slightly cleaner appearance?  At the same time showing more text in the same amount of space? Would it be just as easy on the eyes?  Or would it be even better on the eyes?

Begin font size 8pt:
So I got to wondering.  If PD.net defaulted to a slightly smaller font, would it then have a slightly cleaner appearance?  At the same time showing more text in the same amount of space? Would it be just as easy on the eyes?  Or would it be even better on the eyes?

Begin font size 7pt:

Thoughts?

Offline D2Disciple

• Major
  • Gold
  • Deal with it.
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2009, 05:53:49 AM »
I think that at 9 points the font strikes the perfect balance between readability and compactness. Setting the font at 7 would be taking it a little bit too far... I have 20/15 vision and I have enough of a time reading it to know that others might have some trouble.

Offline (LL)Atan

• Gold
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2009, 07:58:59 AM »
I vote for: font size 9pt
it's just so much easier to read (for me)

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2009, 03:14:56 PM »
I'll see if I can set it to 9pts, then. Should be no problem.

Ok, was ten point now nine point.
can you tell the difference above?
Code: [Select]
Ok, [size=10pt]was ten point[/size] now nine point.

testing: eightnineteneleventwelvefifteen
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 03:31:25 PM by WillyP »
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2009, 03:22:55 PM »
Sounds good to me.  :)

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets