Author Topic: Here's My Introduction & What Got Me To Descent & Freespace Collecting!  (Read 37462 times)

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
Re: Here's My Introduction & What Got Me To Descent & Freespace Collecting!
« Reply #60 on: March 21, 2013, 08:40:36 PM »
"The cloud" has a much better track record than your home network. Backups, redundancy, uptime guarantees, building security, fire suppression, multiple locations, network security, encryption, monitoring, etc. What does your home network have? A deadbolt and a smoke detector, and a basic NAT firewall? Maybe a RAID setup if you're good. Data loss simply doesn't happen in the cloud. Data theft? Maybe, extremely rarely. But not loss.

Offline Tylosaurus

• Silver
  • Largest of all Mosasaurs
    • Descent Task Force
« Reply #61 on: March 21, 2013, 10:38:42 PM »
Sorry but I disagree with you, my home network I find more reliable, it never failed me and it never will, I keep my data on systems I hardly have enabled. These are not connected to the internet.

My home network is more private than the cloud too, I don't trust the cloud, I never will, sorry :X
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 11:00:17 PM by Tylosaurus »

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #62 on: March 22, 2013, 04:14:00 AM »
The point about the cloud being immune to fire is a good one hackers, but I tend to think that most of its other advantages can be achieved just by keeping backups on a computer that's not connected to the internet and not used for anything else.

Of course the problem there is that you need the money to buy a computer that you don't even plan to use :D.

When it comes to backing up my data I always like to rely on myself and not some third party.  Because I know how much my data means to me and how far I want to go to protect it better than anyone else who could do it for me.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #63 on: March 22, 2013, 06:20:05 AM »
If there's anything I've learned about the computing world, is that there's never anything that is absolutely immune to hacking or other forms of data loss/corruption. So in this instance, to each their own, and whichever method they prefer.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #64 on: March 22, 2013, 09:19:44 PM »
If there's anything I've learned about the computing world, is that there's never anything that is absolutely immune to hacking or other forms of data loss/corruption. So in this instance, to each their own, and whichever method they prefer.

basically in a nutshell. I prefer the non-cloud approach, some prefer to have it.

Offline Tylosaurus

• Silver
  • Largest of all Mosasaurs
    • Descent Task Force
« Reply #65 on: March 23, 2013, 03:25:22 AM »
Anyways back to the topic :P  I was wondering if there were any baseball caps with the Descent, Descent 2 or Descent 3 logo's on them or a Pyro for that same matter?
Personally I have never seen these but it could be that these were made too right as Descent Merchandise products went? I also wonder what happened to the Parallax Software & Vollution Software Company Flags, I guess these were also made, anyways always keep looking they say 8)

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #66 on: March 23, 2013, 05:38:02 AM »
I can't recall ever seeing any 'official' Descent branded apparel, but there is Planet Descent stuff here:

PlanetDescent:Zazzle.com Store
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #67 on: March 23, 2013, 07:31:41 AM »

And this is why the best plan that's always advised by experts, is just to have more than one backup in more than one place!
Oh wait, we've moved on.
[Insert on-topic comment here]

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets