Author Topic: Here's My Introduction & What Got Me To Descent & Freespace Collecting!  (Read 37460 times)

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
Re: Here's My Introduction & What Got Me To Descent & Freespace Collecting!
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2013, 04:54:30 PM »
The Definitive Collection !! Awesome!  Factory Sealed!!  Double Awesome!   

Yeah, I'm impressed.

IMHO the Definitive Collection is the way to get Descent 1 and 2.

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2013, 07:29:22 PM »
I'm not much of a collector, but I gotta admit that's pretty cool.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2013, 08:32:17 PM »
Sometime I'll actually go through everything you have in that collection, and count how many copies there are of each game and each expansion XD.

Offline Tylosaurus

• Silver
  • Largest of all Mosasaurs
    • Descent Task Force
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2013, 10:00:12 AM »
Many thanks for the cool replies everyone :) @ Alter-Fox  I have that too when you go through it here my self, just astonished I found a 3rd version of the Descent I and II The Definitive Collection factory sealed.

The European/German version is like this:

Top:

Rear:

The American version is like this:

Top:

Rear:

In Germany & Austria there was the Descent Venture Pack also, which looks like this:

Top:

Rear:

Which is Descent 1, 2 and 3 + Descent 3 Mercenary in one box, D1 Levels of the World & D2 Vertigo + Descent Mission Builder II were not added to this pack however, this piece out rares the Descent I & II Definitive Collections any day :)

Here a picture I took of the European/German & American Version of Descent I and II The Definitive Collection & The Venture Pack, the American Version of Descent I and II The Definitive Collection is quite  a bit smaller than the European/German variant of it incl the Venture pack

I'll make more pics once the Australian version arrives 8)
And the one I just bought is the Australian version, which looks more like the European/German version but with a Descent3 demo like the much smaller American version has, all three are Factory sealed also.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2013, 12:08:45 PM »
I should be getting d3 for linux in the mail soon.

Nice collection there. I remember the definitive collection when I had a pc to run it.

Offline Tylosaurus

• Silver
    • Descent Task Force
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2013, 12:53:25 PM »
Congrats with that rare find! Did you get it boxed like I did, or just loose with Manual & CD Sleeve?

Which is this one:

There are four versions for Descent 3 minus the Mercenary packs :)

As you can see the European one is the blue box, it comes with a 3dfx & NVIDIA logo the same with the US PC & Linux version, the Macintosh verson comes with an ATi Rage Logo, which was surprising to find out, it's Mac Logo's are also printed on the box instead of stickers.

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2013, 08:08:34 AM »
That's wierd. My Descent 3 just came in a 3-fold paperboard thing, yours have actual plastic boxes.

Offline Tylosaurus

• Silver
    • Descent Task Force
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2013, 09:16:21 AM »
The boxes are made of cardboard, but they have a plasticized cover the arts were printed on them with advanced machinery 8)

The one you have is this one I believe:

Rear view flipped to Descent 3 Info:

Rear view flipped to Descent 3: Mercenary Info:

The CD Sleeve variant, these are re-releases of the game, my boxes are all dated from around Q2 of 1999, that is when D3 was released on PC, Linux & Macintosh, back in the 90's all games were packed in them big boxes, also for better marketing, int he early 2000's the games were reproduced and sold in CD Sleeve packaging like the one you have.

I also have three different variant of Descent3 Mercenary as the boxed version go :)

Descent 3: Mercenary European Variant:

Descent 3: Mercenary American Variant:

Pre-Production Descent 3: Mercenary American Variant Factory Sealed with NOT FOR RESALE Decal under the Seal:

This last one was a gift from a 3dfx Collector, which I helped to gain an ultra rare 3dfx Voodoo5 6000 AGP 128MB Rev.A2 2600 Engineering Sample, which is this card:
Top:

Rear:

The sad bit is that this guy never contacts me again after he sent me a big F.U. to me during new years on Jan 01 of 2010 ... At least I got that rare D3 Merc USA NFR from him.

As you can see this Pre-Production Sample is identical to the Production one, well except the Factory Seal and the NFR Decal under the seal, making this piece an ultra rare and so far the only one I have ever seen.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 09:42:57 AM by Tylosaurus »

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2013, 12:44:20 PM »
I had a feeling you have linux. I saw a stuffed linux penguin in one of those pictures of yours.

I think it will come with a box. I hope this is it, and I can make copies. I only have linux, no windows or mac.
one copy I had, broke in the bluray tray, the other never got to me. They refunded my money, and said sorry.
At one time, I had a imac, and purchased it off from amazon. They gave me d1 instead for the mac.

Offline Tylosaurus

• Silver
    • Descent Task Force
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2013, 03:12:08 PM »
Well I have a Tux Penguin yes, which I bought @ "HCC Dagen Utrecht" in 2006 I think it was, could of been earlier, I can't remember clearly, I bought it because way back then I was beta tester for x-3dfx.com or their x-3dfx Community Drivers for 3dfx Voodoo Banshee, 2, 3,  4 & 5 and 3dfxzone.it for their AmigaMerlin drivers for Voodoo Banshee, 2, 3,  4 & 5 that needed MesaFX OpenGL32.dll's to run fewer new-gen based games that rendered with OpenGL 2.0+
http://www.3dfxzone.it/enboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=992

So due to that Tux Plays a big role in 3dfx land :)
I only use Windows 2KPro UK + SP4, WinXPPro UK + SP3 & Win7Pro x64 UK + SP1, I used MesaFX to get UT2003 running on my Voodoo5 5000 AGP/PCI 32MB & 3dfx Voodoo5 6000 AGP 128MB Rev.A 3700 Engineering Samples 8) Which were these three:

3dfx Voodoo5 5000 AGP 32MB Rev.A0 3700 Engineering Sample First Card:

3dfx Voodoo5 5000 AGP 32MB Rev.A0 3700 Engineering Sample Second Card:

3dfx Voodoo5 5000 PCI 32MB Rev.A1 0900 Engineering Sample:

Here the Voodoo5 5000 AGP Rev.A0 3700 & Voodoo5 5000 PCi Rev.A1 0900 compared, 28 weeks difference between the two, and still never produced heh!

This was my Voodoo5 6000 Which I used with MesaFX 6.2.0.2 to get Doom3 running @ 60 fps @ 1024 x768 x32 in medium details with AmigaMerlin 3.1 R1 as base driver.

Top Card:      3dfx Voodoo5 6000 AGP 128MB Rev.A 3700 Engineering Sample, never produced
Middle Card:  3dfx Voodoo5 5500 AGP 64MB Rev.A 2500 Production Sample, mass produced
Bottom Card: 3dfx Voodoo5 5000 AGP 32MB Rev.A0 3700 Engineering Sample, , never produced

thanks to MesaFX from the Linux world, I could play many new gen games on these Voodoo5 cards without any issues what so ever. I also used them to test Descent 3 & Freespace 2 which both used the latest Glide version which was 3.54 8)  Voodoo5 made Descent 3 & Freespace2 look at their absolute best, nothing beats Glide 3.54 on these babies I even tried D3 on Radeons and GeForce cards, they all suffered from heavy banding and bleached out skies, tbut them 3dfx Voodoo5 cards, they ran it issue free.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 03:29:32 PM by Tylosaurus »

Offline Tylosaurus

• Silver
    • Descent Task Force
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2013, 02:06:26 PM »
Here a collection update, I did my recount today and found out that I have 102 items and not 112, so yeah it was good to find out what I really have collected them past 18 years and 4 months.

So here the two factory sealed items I bought off ebay from Old game collectors I think, since such find a are near to impossible these days.   :blah: :blah: :blah:

Descent I and II The Definitive Collection Big Box USA Version Factory Sealed, this item is from 1997, so it's been like this for the past 16 years...  :D :D :D

Top view:

Rear view:

All four variants top view
Top left is EUR version without D3 Demo
Top right is USA Version with D3 Demo
Bottom left is Big Box USA version with D3Demo
Bottom right is Sleeved USA version without D3 Demo

All four variants rear view
Top left is EUR version without D3 Demo
Top right is USA Version with D3 Demo
Bottom left is Big Box USA version with D3Demo
Bottom right is Sleeved USA version without D3 Demo

Descent Freespace: Battle Pack USA Factory Sealed top:

Descent Freespace: Battle Pack USA Factory Sealed rear:

Descent Freespace Battle Pack EUR & USA top

Descent Freespace Battle Pack EUR & USA rear

And here the entire Collection 96 of 102 items, my floor was not large enough rofl  :H:  :lol!:

Top lot:

Centre lot:

Bottom lot:

Entire Lot:

The other items I forgot to take new pics of were these:

Self made Descent based Mouse pads:

Descent 2 Promo Mousepad, a Gift from D2X-XL Moderator Frustikus

Descent 2 & Freespace 2 Case Mod:

PyroGX from Descent 2 Release painted in 1996:

Hercules MK III, Vesudan Dreadnaught & Shivan Carrier from Freespace2 Painted in 1999:

Descent IV: Invasion RTF file of Floppy Disk:

Here's a video I made of that massive collection today after recounting it all :)
96 Part Descent / Freespace Collection Displayed.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 09:53:37 PM by Tylosaurus »

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2013, 06:02:55 AM »
Whoa, hold on, is that a functional copy of Descent IV: Invasion game as it stood before it's cancellation on that floppy, or just separate and miscellaneous files and stuff from it?
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Tylosaurus

• Silver
    • Descent Task Force
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2013, 12:32:10 PM »
No it's a backup of the rtf the Storyline of D4 invasion :)

It's a copy of the original of course but the story is original none the less :)  I just placed it on a floppy disk so I won't lose it :)

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2013, 04:31:45 AM »

It's a copy of the original of course but the story is original none the less :)  I just placed it on a floppy disk so I won't lose it :)
Heh. You might not lose it, but the real question is will you be able to read it?

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2013, 05:56:21 AM »

Oh, okay. Although, now that I think about it, I don't think I ever saw said storyline...how did you come to possess a copy?
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets