Author Topic: Here's My Introduction & What Got Me To Descent & Freespace Collecting!  (Read 37461 times)

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
Yeah I'm also US so that's another issue.

I didn't know there was a dedicated server program for D1/2?

Offline Tylosaurus

• Silver
  • Largest of all Mosasaurs
    • Descent Task Force
Well it's not dedicated, never said it was hehe and the US isn't a problem, all the people you saw in my video well 6 of them were from USA 2 of them Adwrith and I from the EU

As the games go, well I just host them myself on my systems which are these:

As for the systems, I have plenty of those, here are all six, showing the fastest as listed first :)

Blue-Leader SMP 2009

2x Six-Core AMD OpteronDP 2435 D0 Istanbul CPU's, 12x 2612Mhz, 12x 512KB L2, 2x 6144KB L3 *
2x ASUS Triton 70 for Socket 939/F with 1x 92mm x 92mm x25mm fans
Supermicro H8DAE-2 NVIDIA NForce 3600 Pro, MCP 550 Pro & IO55
4x 4096MB PC2-6400 ECC Reg Kingston Value Ram, Dual Channel DDR2-800 per Six-Core CPU
Supermicro SIM LP-B IPMI 2.0 16MB Card Rev.3.01 0907
2x EVGA GeForce GTX 295 Red Edition PCI-E 1792MB 896Bit GDDR3's in Quad SLI
Realtek ALC888 7.1 OnBoard HD Audio
1x Intel 320 SSD 120GB/64MB Cache Boot Disk
Plextor PX-820A Dual Layer DVD Re-Writer 12x/8x UATA-133
4x Western Digital 500GB/32MB Cache Raid Edition3 24/7 Series in RAID 0 1.81TB Storage Disk
2x Broadcom 1000 MBit Ethernet RJ45 Lan Jacks
Antec True Power Quatto 1000 Watt EPS12V + 2.3V
Lian Li PC-A7010 Black Server Case
Lian Li W-75BP Side Window Panel
2x 30 cm Blue CCFL's from Sharkoon
2x 30 cm White CCFL's from Sharkoon
4x Black non Ledded Lian Li 120mm x 120mm x25mm Front Fans, Also to cool Hot Swap bay
Lian Li BS-01 with Black non Ledded Lian Li 120mm x 120mm x25mm Side Fan Air Duct
1x Black non Ledded Lian Li 120mm x 120mm x25mm Rear Fan
1x Hewlett Packard ZR24w 24" S-IPS Panel - 16:10 Aspect Ratio - Max Resolution: 1920 x 1200 x32 @ 60 Herz

Firefox SMP 2006

2x Dual Core AMD OpteronDP 285 E6 Italy Server CPU's, 4x 2616Ghz, 4x 1024KB L2
2x Scythe Shuriken Heatsink with 2x Enermax 92mm x 92mm x25mm White Ledded Twister fans for the CPU's
ASUS K8N-DL NVIDIA NForce 2200 Professional chipset
4x 2048MB PC-3200 ECC Reg Dual Rank Micron Tech, Dual Channel DDR400 per Dual Core CPU
1x EVGA GeForce GTX 480 PCI-E 1536MB 384Bit GDDR5 Rev.A3 2110
1x Auzentech X-Fi Prelude 7.1 PCI 64MB XRAM
1x Sony 3.5" FDD Drive
1x NEC ND-2500A DVD Re-Writer 8x/4x UATA-133
1x Western Digital 300GB/16MB Cache Velociraptor 10.000 RPM HDD
1x Broadcom 1000 MBit Ethernet RJ45 Lan Jack
Silver Stone Strider Plus 850 WATT Modular PSU
Lian Li PC-7FN Midi Tower
Lian-Li W-LM2AB-1 Black Side Window Panel
2x 30 cm Blue CCFL's from Sharkoon
2x 30 cm Green CCFL's from Sharkoon
1x Blue Ledded Lian Li 120mm x 120mm x25mm Front Fan
1x Red /Blue /Green Ledded Antec Tri-Cool 120mm x 120mm x25mm Rear Fan
1x Hewlett Packard ZR24w 24" S-IPS Panel - 16:10 Aspect Ratio - Max Resolution: 1920 x 1200 x32 @ 60 Herz

Sveta SMP 2004

2x Uni Core AMD OpteronMP 850 CG Sledgehammer Server CPU's, 2x 2405Mhz,2x 1024KB L2
2x MSI MS-9130 Copper Heatsinks with S604 retention clips to fit CPU HSF support brakcets for MS-9130
MSI MS-9130 K8T Master2 FAR, VIA K8T 800
2x 1024MB PC-3200 ECC Reg Kingston Value Ram
1x HIS Radeon HD 3850 ICEQ3 Turbo AGP 512MB 256Bit GDDR3 Rev.A1 0806
1x 3dfx Voodoo5 5500 PCI Macintosh 64MB 256Bit SDR Rev.A1 2900 + PC Bios 1.18_LCD [In Practical 2x 32MB 128Bit SDR]
Realtek AC97 Oboard 8.1 Surround Audio
1x Samsug 3.5" FDD Drive
1x Plextor PlexWriter PX-48/24/48A CD ReWriter 48x/24x
1x Creative DVD-Rom 12 Speed 12x
1x Western Digital Caviar 250GB/8MB Cache 7200 rpm HDD
x Broadcom 1000 MBit Ethernet RJ45 Lan Jack
1x Intel Pro 100 S Desktop Adapter
1x Enermax Modu82+ 525 Watt EPS12V + 2.3V
2x Blue Ledded Antex Tri-Cool 80mm x 80mm x 25mm Side Fans
1x Green Ledded Antec Tri-Cool 120mm x 120mm x 25mm Front Fan
Addtronics 6896A Entry Level Server Tower
1x Samsung SyncMaster 943 19" - 16:10 Aspect Ratio - Max Resolution: 1440 x 900 x32 @ 75 Herz

Here a pic of all three setups :)

From the centre:

From the left:

From the right:

All three can host Descent  1& 2 games, the Dual 2435 and the Dual 285 also are great for new gen apps but I use them mainly to record, compile and convert self made HD films to HD DivX + AC3 sound for my You Tube channel, for game nights we had and such.

I have been working with Dual Opterons sicne 2004 and they have never let me down, they are dead stable and rock solid, the Dual 2435 is mostly used though, it has 12 CPU cores @ 2600Mhz idea for compiling and converting my DH Video's to the right format in a very rapid time, they are also used for real time flight & Ship simulations.

They are my collection of 2CPU systems, as Iam also a member @ 2CPU.com, whaving system with 2CPU's is very normal, there are also crazy people with system that have 4 or even 8 CPU's each with multiple cores for example a 4-way Opteron 6274 , these have 16 cores each, people that have these don't only do Seti @ Home or Folding 2 Home but mainly scientific research and such, very interesting stuff :) I also do renders for them, playing Descent is mainly for my fun hours as computers go along side the serious things hehe.

As being 100% Disabled I have the time to host Descent games and keep these games alive with systems I built from selling collections and other old stuff I 'd never saw useful in the end :)
After that Descent Freespace Collection, which is till have hehe, I was like let's do something with it, so I made this gallery; as where I sorted it all out:
http://www.3dfx.ch/gallery/v/3dfx_collectors/collectors_goldleader/Descent/Desccol/?g2_navId=xb0b685b1

I was like making it useful by hosting Descent games for the Descent players out there! And that lead me to the Descent Rangers and the Descent Task Force which I founded with Celestial after I left the Descent Rangers, but my return to the Descent Rangers is planned, there I have many friends there and I will make a return there, leaving them wasn't nice, I owe them one right!  8)
I do see them everyday and they are a great lot, just due to my asperger syndrome and autism I have it takes long for me to get used to people and places, the world hasn't been always the easiest place to be in, but sometimes you have to force yourself to do things to get further.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 11:37:18 PM by Tylosaurus »

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
WOW.. all that just to play Descent! If your not dedicated, I don't know what is!
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Tylosaurus

• Silver
    • Descent Task Force
hehe it's an obsessed hobby of mine, I also do real time Flight && Ship Simulators hehe as for the Duallies? Well I got that idea from2CPU.com, been a member there for more than 11 and a half years as Gold Leader:
http://www.2cpu.com/

To visit the forums for your 2CPU needs, you'd have to register, really there are some sicker systems over there, I know some that have 4CPU and even 8 CPU setups, many professionals come there also that do science research or weather imulations yeah we seen alot of high end SMP gear there, it's the hardware I love using , also due to high quality Server hardware parts, they are redundant, reliable and more failsafe than the standard desktop stuff, lifespan per system is like 8 years instead of 2 :)

But since I only do Descent the Dual 6 core Setup is used to compile, render and convert self made HD video's which iremixed of Descent Task Force hosted games & Just Cause2 Game runs to HD DivX with AC3 sound for my you tube channel and this does use all my 12 CPU cores, which you can see here:
A D1 Video 1080p + AC3 Sound:

Here the result:

And here a Just Cause 2 video I converted which also was 9 other programs in the background, hence the greater Ram usage:

Here the result:

As for Descent, the best game in the world deserves the best quality hardware in the world and I guess that is where I got a little too obsessed with xDDDDDD
As for the dedicated thing only D3 supports this, even though dedicated servers D3 wise can't run in a continuous loop, if I recall properly and since I only do mainly D1 and sometimes D2 to get a little change of taste in there, I have to host each and every game manually, my connection can handle 3 8 player games if needed to be since my down speed is 60MBps and my up is 6MBps :)
So no issues thx to that.

But I'm fine to host games if anyone has the need for some D, which the Descent task Force is all about, playing the games we all love, reliving them good old days as much as we can :)
We clal it spread'n the luv for D!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 10:07:43 AM by Tylosaurus »

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
I'm confused. You said your server had lag problems, but then you post pictures of multiple 2xCPU systems?

Offline Tylosaurus

• Silver
    • Descent Task Force
they are the systesm I host multiple games on, but as Isaid in the previous post, I have to host D1 & D2 games manually, via the games themselves.
Descent 1 & 2 don't have dedicated support, so what I do I host a game kill myself and there you go a D1 or D2 has been created.

Go here to track games:
http://www.descentvalhalla.com/tracker/default.aspx

As lag goes, erm I never said that here :X Unless you can state where I said that or quote me ;)

I do get lag on American servers a lot, that is probably due to their weaker upload connections, this has to be high to create low pings and I always host with 20 packets, to prevent packet loss from taking place and since I have an upload of 6MBps this also helps a lot.
These systems are a part of my intro, just some obsession I have with Server hardware and they are the systems I host my games on and also use to make the 1080p video's from in game action with Descent Task Force & Descent Rangers pilots  8)

« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 10:26:29 AM by Tylosaurus »

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
I am mostly on the Descent Rangers mumble server, everyone is welcome here, even that the Descent Task Force has their own sever, it has lag issues, so we just camp over on the Descent Rangers Mumble server...
There

I sure wish I could afford workstation/server-quality parts for my desktops :x The 10-year-old server I have with dual single-core 2.4GHz xeons (The REALLY OLD pentium-4 era 32-bit ones) can compete with my old desktop with a 64-bit capable dual-core 2.6Ghz Athlon 64, and 3x the RAM. How much graphics support is there with those server boards, though?

Offline Tylosaurus

• Silver
    • Descent Task Force
I am mostly on the Descent Rangers mumble server, everyone is welcome here, even that the Descent Task Force has their own sever, it has lag issues, so we just camp over on the Descent Rangers Mumble server...
There

I sure wish I could afford workstation/server-quality parts for my desktops :x The 10-year-old server I have with dual single-core 2.4GHz xeons (The REALLY OLD pentium-4 era 32-bit ones) can compete with my old desktop with a 64-bit capable dual-core 2.6Ghz Athlon 64, and 3x the RAM. How much graphics support is there with those server boards, though?
Nah I meant the Mumble server hehe voor the voice chat, never mentioned the games ;)

"so we just camp over on the Descent Rangers Mumble server..."

I did mention that ;) the DTF Mumble server is part of the DXX-Rebirth Mumble server, it seems to have symptoms, dunno why, i'd have to contact zif and see if he knows something ;)

the Dual 6 Core Opteron 2435 has the Supermicro H8DAE-2 it has native SLI support, thus the Dual GTX 295 Red Editions in it even GTX 690's work fine in it as a friend of mine has tested.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 12:41:19 AM by Tylosaurus »

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
What about Xeon boards? I'm all for AMDs in desktops and I use them frequently, but if it's on a server board it's gotta be a xeon.

Offline Tylosaurus

• Silver
    • Descent Task Force
Nah only AMD Opterons for workstation server, more cores per CPU , they consume less power as TDP's go, and their price performance is way better, I grabbed my two Six-Core Opteron 2435's for 235 EUR incl shipping from USA to my country which is The Netherlands, in my country they were still 800 Euro's per CPU at the time I bought them.

I bought them from a good contact ,as they were new from old stock, these are the finds you need hehe, for me this was cheaper than buying a new system and such. As Xeons go I can buy twice the amount of similar performing Opterons  for 2 Xeons, so again AMD is the Win when it comes t 2CPU & 4CPU setups.

Xeons are beyond my interest and also beyond my budjet, and I only had issues with Intel based setups, I just plan to use Dual Opterons only, they have proven me a much better experience.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 12:22:44 AM by Tylosaurus »

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
Here's a question... How do you keep the room cool with all those monsters in it? I can't even keep my room cool with a single processor and video card.

Offline Tylosaurus

• Silver
    • Descent Task Force
Well I live in The Netherlands an it doesn't get warm here, the other advantage is that I live in an Apartment on the first flor, it's very cool in my apartment, the one above me catches the most heat hehe.
I have fans to cool my room if it's really needed, but even so I can open plenty windows, I ever get an overheated room actually :)

And it is very rarely I use all three at once, it's mostly the left one and the other two are used , just depending on what app I will be running at the time :)

Offline CrazyEnzo03

• Gold
  • Just who the hell do you think I am?
Open the windows so you wake up the whole town instead of the whole neighborhood. :) wha-zaaaaaaaaaa
Some people are like Slinkies. They aren't really good or even useful for anything but they always manage to put a little smile on your face when you give them enough of a push down the stairs.

Offline Tylosaurus

• Silver
    • Descent Task Force
Nah that wouldn't be wise haha Ole ole ole oleeee lol, yaps I have a megaphone and it's quite loud rofl.

Offline Tylosaurus

• Silver
    • Descent Task Force
Re: Here's My Introduction & What Got Me To Descent & Freespace Collecting!
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2013, 05:40:22 AM »
Great news today!!!!   ;D ;D ;D ;D

Last night I grabbed these two awesome items and they are both factory sealed too!!! 8) 8) 8) 8)

Descent I and II: The Definitive Collection Factory Sealed:
http://www.ebay.ie/itm/170986381024?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Descent Freespace Battle Pack USA Factory Sealed:
http://www.ebay.ie/itm/330874465861?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

From 109 to 111 items in just less than 5 minutes hah!!! I am quite amazed to have found such treasures like these!  8)
More pics will be made when I retrieve them, so stay tuned!  8)

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets