Author Topic: Here's My Introduction & What Got Me To Descent & Freespace Collecting!  (Read 37463 times)

Offline Tylosaurus

• Silver
  • Largest of all Mosasaurs
    • Descent Task Force
Hi everyone :)

Tylosaurus here :)

Hi everyone :)
As Co-founder of the first Descent Task Force:
http://dtaskforce.forumotion.com

And the newly rebooted one, due to nonactive reasons:
http://descenttaskforce.forumotion.com
I thought becoming part of Planet Descent was surely a must, as many asked me to become a member there I did it for them, people likeEchoFox aka Alter-Fox or Kaiaastel, Pyro Jocky and a few others, I am bad at names so don't get agro at me for not remembering rofl!

Before I got involved with the Descent Communities I was and still am a General Moderator @ x-3dfx.com which was once the Official 3dfx Headquarters Website in Belfast, Ireland for 3dfx Europe.
http://www.x-3dfx.com

On January 20, 2001 we wanted to reboot our home to x-3dfx.com that being the home for all ex-3dfx gamers, collectors, fans and supporters.
October 27, 2006 we were hacked and went offline for about 4 years, in 2010 we regained power and rebuilt a totally new interface which it has to this very day, it is half active since it is getting a website update.

As Descent goes well here the full report:

Here is something I always wanted to show this place, after giving each of the 95+ items it's own sub gallery section.
What I did was create sub folders to all the parts of the collection, this took me half a day to sort out rofl :lol: But hey it surely make it worth while doing right :)

Here you have it people, on October 24 this year I have been collecting for a good 18 years !!!

At other places I am named as Obi-Wan Kenobi & Gold Leader, but since I have anew name, Tylosaurus, due to that my partner will know me for who I am at new places as well, this new name is used because like here and I collect model Dinosaurs and resins of Dinosaurs., Tylosaurus suits me more than anything, collecting Dino's went even before my entire StarWars life. In games most will see me named as Tylo, this is also what I am mostly named as for short.

As Descent goes well here the full report:

Here is something I always wanted to show this place, after giving each of the 107 items it's own sub gallery section.
What I did was create sub folders to all the parts of the collection, this took me half a day to sort out rofl :lol: But hey it surely make it worth while doing right :)

October 24 this year and this good ole collection will reach it's 18th anniversary!  :cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:
So here all the games I have collected over these vast years.

Descent Series

Descent 2 Series

Descent 3 Series

Descent Combo Packs

Descent Linux Series

Descent Macintosh series

Descent Playstation Series

Descent Books

Descent Mini Posters

Descent Mouse Pads

Descent Misc Items:

Descent Freespace Series

Descent Freespace 2 Series

Descent Freespace Combo Packs

Descent Freespace Books

So there you have it all 107 items, some may ask why I collect these well, Descent & Freespace have very well thought original designs and since day one they were released as demo's I got hooked to them and wanted only more and more and now this is my result, collecting these games has always been on my mind first you like it a lot then it becomes an addition then it becomes an obsession, no matter the more I can find the greater the thrill!

Also I collected these artworks and 3D renders

Descent Artwork & 3D Renders

My latest achievements were these:

Descent3: Mercenary USA Pre-Release Factory Sealed + NOT FOR RESALE Decal under the seal on the box :)

Click to Enter!

Great and many thanks to a good friend of mine from USA for this one, a gift of many words 8-)

The Entire Freespace Collection as it is of now  :lol!:

Well, that was Freespace so far, it's smaller than I thought it would be, but very interesting none the less.

The latest addition was this interesting package from from MasternX a guy that has a contact with one of the cleaners that worked @ Interplay HQ back in 2003 to 2004, when it was being cleared after it shut down :)
So here's the parts in a one shot:

That frame hung in the Interplay HQ Office hallways, them CD-R's are host software of Descent 1 and 2, the one with the scratches is the Descent 1 Alpha disc, this is where it all began before it was going final, the one from 1996 is the host disk for Descent Anniversary Edition me thinks hence the date of the disk, unless some Interplay Employee's can help me out here!

Anyways this came to me all thanks to MasternX from this website:
http://forums.my-collections.eu/
However I left that place some time ago, somethings didn't feel right, ah well no matter, sometimes it's best to leave a place before all hell breaks loose 8)

Okay here it is, only two items missing within the uber shot, which is the Interplay 7 level Descent Demo USA mini boxed:

&

BytingEdge International Inc. USA Descent 3-D Air Combat 7 Level Descent Demo

And they are within one of them many boxes and no I am not gonna do this again, since I just tidied up rofl, So to relay it all for just two lousy items? uhm no rofl  :lol!:

Here the entire lot:

And only the boxes which is like 70% of the entire collection:

Anyways it's Ultra HUGE! And yeah it's bigger than I though it was really! Crikey it even scared me rofl Image Image

So yeah, since October 24, 1994 til this very day, it was well worth doing and yes I will keep on collecting if I come across something I don't own yet, don't worry my friends, it will keep growing as long as I keep finding new items to add to it 8)

The only ones I seek now are these in boxed or factory sealed condition:

Descent: First Strike for Apple Macintosh:

Descent II: Counterstrike for Apple Macintosh:

So yeah it's pretty much complete now 8-)

Anyhow as the last half year goes, I have had mixed feelings about all this, of like selling it, but hey after at looking on what I have gathered all them years, I have decided to keep it all for now, it is a unique thing after all right.

Descent like Freespace means life to me as retro games go, they probably were two of the best game types ever to be created in the entire gaming history   :D

My latest achievement is Descent 1 EUR FDD Version Factory Sealed from 1994, this is Item 107:

As you can see this is a German printed version, no matter to that, the point is, that this has never been removed from it's factory seal since it was packed @ Parallax Software / Interplay back in 1994!

Items like this are so hard to come by these days, this is the game were it all started, Descent 1 is also my fav, to me the first is always the best, which is like that with most games.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 11:02:37 AM by Tylosaurus »

Offline Tylosaurus

• Silver
    • Descent Task Force
As living room decoration goes I have a Vitrine Table, like that glass top table you saw in the previous post that had VGA cards in it, in this I laid my rarest Descent & Freespace factory sealed and boxed games, which you can see here:

this is with the added decoration on it, my favourite Scale 1:200 Airliner models:

They are these:
China Airlines Airbus A330-300 Orchid Livery
China Airlines Boeing B737-800 Lavender Livery
China Airlines Boeing B747-400 50th Anniversary Livery 1959-2009
Thai Airways Boeing B777-300 ER

Here my scale model Dinosaur collection with all my real Orchids, that with a few McFairlane Water Clan Dragons, two 3 headed Hydra's and two Tylosaurus models:

here from the other side:

Here the two Tylos, which i used for my Sig:

Some of them orchids are older than three and a half years, and still they are doing great :)

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
Hey, good to see you here!
Not to discourage you or anything, but I'm pretty sure everyone (or at least mostly everyone) here knows you from other Descent sites XD.  And even if not I'm pretty sure they'll have heard of your collection.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
Yeah, I'm the latter; not knowing the user that well, but I know of your collection quite well. :D

Seriously, that collection's awesome.  ;)
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline CrazyEnzo03

• Gold
  • Just who the hell do you think I am?
Ah, and you even include a few glimpses of the households you keep awake in the late hours of night and early morning!
Some people are like Slinkies. They aren't really good or even useful for anything but they always manage to put a little smile on your face when you give them enough of a push down the stairs.

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
I'm both frightened and impressed by the scale of your collection. But mostly impressed. A wonderful tribute to what is (imo) the golden age of computer games.

Offline Tylosaurus

• Silver
    • Descent Task Force
Many thanks for the warm welcome everyone! I feel overwhelmed by so many friendly faces!!

As for them long gaming nights Enzo03, here's that game we played last night hehe

720p only works since Youtube messed up the 1080p it seems rofl, I remixed it with Armin van Buuren's A State of Trance Episode 535

With communities like this we can keep the best game that hit the PC age intact. The goal of the collection also to create an archive of how many different original box arts were made, different releases, versions, even Pre-releases and such the original Host programmers disks of Descent, Descent Anniversary Edition and alpha's of Descent 2 also.

The Collection is also there to show interplay that there still is interest in these game series and I am still holding on to that piece of hope for a Descent 4 and a Freespace 3, then we can enlarge the game series even more and I have more games to collect also hahah xDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

On the behalf of Descent 4 , when I worked for the Open Descent Foundation aka ODF, I wrote the official Role Script or say storyline for their version of D4, the entire script was my work and my idea's you can give it a read here:
http://descenttaskforce.forumotion.com/t47-flight-back-the-aftermath-of-samuel-dravis-vengeance-unorthodox-my-storylines-of-d4

I posted it in the open because the ODF has not been active for like 3 years now, this work took me a good 14 weeks. the main plot aka Flight Back: The Aftermath of Samuel Dravis is 24 missions + 6 Secret missions and the expansion pack aka Flight Back: Vengeance is 14 missions + 3 Secret Missions, as for the Mercenary Expansion pack: Flight Back: Unorthodox, I never got to start it,, since I could not find enough information to get it on going, still willing to work on this one, but I guess it's kinda late now.

So now since the script is my work and it's my own property I am giving it to the Descent Community to make their own Campaign for Descent 1,2 or 3, Descent 3 might be most handy since it has good outer location support, so do what you like with it, it's my gift to these wonderful places.

Everyone may use all the pics I made as the collection goes, go ahead just don't use it for sales, but I am sure you blokes won't do that hehe.

As for Planet Descent, that I never came to this place, well I am deeply embarrassed of myself not doing so, but really this is just great to see what is probably the oldest Descent forum out there and I thought that this place closed down in 2001 or so, but due to that I never came around., odd hay?

nyways like many other people say, better later than never xD Whaaaaa Zaaaaaaa xDDDD Bruuuuds!  ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 10:22:14 AM by Tylosaurus »

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
Well, actually, long story short, the original PD DID shut down not so long ago, not so much because of lack of support, but more of due to the forum's increasing age, and the hosts randomly deciding to pull the plug without telling anybody, so we built THIS site to replace it. :)

Just technicalities, though. ;)
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Tylosaurus

• Silver
    • Descent Task Force
Ahhh okay! Well great to have one of the coolest looking Descent forums back, I like how you guys retained it's original look, just brilliant work guys!  8) 8) 8)

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
Thanks for the compliment. We have tried to keep the look of the old forum although not an exact duplicate. And the SMF software gives a lot of new features. But it's really about the people here and our common interest in this old game called Descent ;)
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Tylosaurus

• Silver
    • Descent Task Force
Thanks for the compliment. We have tried to keep the look of the old forum although not an exact duplicate. And the SMF software gives a lot of new features. But it's really about the people here and our common interest in this old game called Descent ;)

Manny thanks WillyP I am just surprised so many people are still active within the Descent communities we are talking about an almost 18 year old game here, really I am amazed! I play Descent 1 almost every night with the Descent Task Force and the Descent Rangers, just fun games though hehe.

Playing Descent does me good, due to my rough past, it's the only game that made me feel good when feeling blue.
The Descent Task Force like the Descent Rangers are the two places that gave me space within the community and I thank them both for playing multiple games weekly to almost daily, just great.

And the Descent Task Force a place I co-Founded like the Descent Rangers is still evry well active hehe

If any of you prefer fun games the Descent Task Force is the place for you if you prefer scored games the Descent Rangers is the place for you, but still they also do fun games but not as much as the Descent Task Force does.

Here the Descent Task Force:

Here the Descent Rangers:

In my humble opinion it's all about having fun and not some silly score, this is also the main thing why the Descent Task Force is very active, it's all about having fun and keeping the game series alive, that is our goal and so far we have been doing just that.

I dunno if Planet Descent does scored games or just fun games, do you folks use mumble as well for communication, or do you use something else?
The more active Descent communities, the better, and together we can keep this wonderful game series alive, anyways that is my goal.

If any of you seek good levels, go to these sites , unless you all already knew this :P
Just click the pics to enter them :)

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
For a while I organized some gaming weekends I called "PD Reunions" just for fun, but the turnout was never really all that great and I just gave it up after a while.

Offline Tylosaurus

• Silver
    • Descent Task Force
For a while I organized some gaming weekends I called "PD Reunions" just for fun, but the turnout was never really all that great and I just gave it up after a while.

Well feel free to join my game nights if you feel like doing that :)
I am mostly on the Descent Rangers mumble server, everyone is welcome here, even that the Descent Task Force has their own sever, it has lag issues, so we just camp over on the Descent Rangers Mumble server, you can find more about that here:
http://www.descentrangers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=80

As for the Descent Task Force Mumble server, here our info page:
http://descenttaskforce.forumotion.com/t11-important-mumble-server

Everyone is welcome and I hope to see some of you people in the mines  8)

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
I have the hardware available to host a (to the best of my knowledge) lag-free server, I just don't have anybody to play it, and I'm not into hosting stuff that nobody plays on.

Is your server D1, D2, or D3?

Offline Tylosaurus

• Silver
    • Descent Task Force
Mainly D1 but D2 is played just for the change :)
Here an 8 player game we had this morning :)

Descent Task Force & Descent Ranger Pilots having major fun at their best, expect the same tomorrow morning again and many days after it hehe
Everyone had a ping of 140 to 175 which is very good for my server here in The Netherlands xD even players I have seen with a ping of 200-225 played just fine.
Most European players have pings of 47 to 65 max which is very nice.

That are people from Poland, Greece, Germany, France, Switzerland and United Kingdom.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 10:18:00 AM by Tylosaurus »

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets