Poll

Which Descent 3 Boss is the hardest?

D3 Level 3 boss (Super Thief)
D3 Level 6 boss (Homunculus)
D3 Level 12 boss (Dragon)
D3 Level 15 final boss (Hellion Assault Mech)
D3 Merc Level 4 boss (alien queen)
D3 Merc Level 7 final boss (insert name of big mini-boss here)

Author Topic: Hardest D3 Boss?  (Read 9497 times)

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
Hardest D3 Boss?
« on: August 03, 2009, 04:21:09 PM »
Number Zero asks, 'What is the hardest Descent Boss?'

Well, the list of all the bosses is pretty long, so today's poll is which of the Descent 3 bosses do you think is the hardest.

1. D3 Level 3 boss (Super Thief)
2. D3 Level 6 boss (Homunculus) Did I spell that right?  :P
3. D3 Level 12 boss (Dragon)
4. D3 Level 15 final boss (Hellion Assault Mech)
5. D3 Merc Level 4 boss (alien queen)
6. D3 Merc Level 7 final boss (insert name of big mini-boss here  :P)
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
Re: Hardest D3 Boss?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 07:42:54 PM »
I used to think the Homunculus was hardest ... then I thought the Hellion was the hardest ... but after playing the Merc set (again) recently I changed my mind.  The Merc Level 7 Boss is a killer.

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 06:21:22 AM »
This is a challenging question even for myself! My top 3 would be Homunculous, Hellion and the mini-boss. I can fly around the Homunculous, I save all of my big missiles untill I get to the second phase of the Hellion, and I can get behind the Mini-Boss Boss. Ugg they are all equilly difficult in my book! I'll go with Hellion because you can never get behind it without ducking in to tunnels (it ends up turning around right quick as soon as you make a noise) and because of its laser that can shoot through walls and hit you no matter what eventhough the boss cannot see you.
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline Foil

• Gold
  • "I've never seen its equal."
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 07:06:25 AM »
Hellion.  I can beat the other two on Ace without dying, but I haven't been able to do that against the Hellion.  That thing is TOUGH!! :o

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 07:20:41 AM »
I'm torn, too. I probably shouldn't vote anyway, as...admittedly...I've never gotten far enough to battle the Hellion...without cheats, at least....:P
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline D2Disciple

• Major
  • Gold
  • Deal with it.
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 01:35:18 PM »
Merc level 7 boss, most definitely. With a few weapons, I can pretty much take out the Hellion with no problems, but the Merc final boss just kept on killing me and killing me.

That said, it's been such a long time since I've played... I know the only time I've been through the D3 campaign is on trainee, so I'm not really sure. I'm more of a D1 and D2 guy, myself. :)
I, for one, hope this is much, much more than a reconnaissance mission.

Offline Kaizerwolf

• Gold
    • Youtube
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 04:07:53 PM »
The Merc 7 Boss, AKA The "PTMC Gatling MP-1." You guys are lucky that i remember the name!

Offline Ronin RedFox

• PotD Maintainer
  • Gold
  • Dat Red Fox
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2009, 06:52:29 PM »
Too bad my Mercs is screwed up, i love those levels.  :'(
http://www.odf-online.org/ Home to Flight Back, D321GO!, and other Descent related projects, all open source!

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2009, 05:35:34 AM »
Yeah, Mercenary's great. I think it really put the D3 fusion engine to adequate use in that mission set. :)

Everybody says the Merc lvl 7 boss is hard, so I must not be doing it right. I've played that level set again and again, and I've always downed the bot in under a minute, usually without ever taking a shot.

It's really pretty simple. Level's said and done the moment you beat the boss, so there's no need to conserve weaponry. I just select my most powerful missile in my arsenal beforehand, and then the moment I can start shooting, hold down the missile-fire button until he's dead. Works everytime for me. :P
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2009, 06:08:41 AM »
It must be my missile conserving instinct then. :P
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets