Author Topic: Rating Soupe  (Read 10344 times)

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
Re: Rating Soupe
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2012, 07:09:16 AM »
I can vouch for Techpro's comments via personal experience.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2012, 11:43:15 AM »
Which implies that there's something fundamentally dirty and wrong about "foul language". It's just words, that have had the "foul" tag applied to them by society. It's not going to keep you from reaching greatness.

As far as I can tell, your list of avoidances leaves you with Disney movies and not much else. I take it you don't go to the movies very often? I guess it all depends on what you consider to be "too much". But, looking at the recent box office hits... You have Avengers (violent), spiderman (violent), the hunger games (violent), the list goes on. Looking at all time records, even fewer of them would pass. You have to go all the way down to Toy Story 3 at #8 to find something without sexual scenes or violence playing a major role. (I suppose Harry Potter could also count, at #4.)

I watch plenty of violent movies, plenty of movies with lots of language, some sexual content, etc. Am I in the garbage? I mean, I still enjoy feel-good Disney movies, but I think it's going a bit far to say that what movies one watches prevent one from being great. At the end of the day, it's just stuff on on a screen.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 11:44:52 AM by IHateHackers »

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2012, 06:12:41 PM »
You must be talking with someone else, because I don't have movie listings in my profile.

It's really quite simple. Some people are fine with violence. Some are fine with language, blood, sex, nudity, all sorts of stuff.
But there are some who don't like it. This may be because of their religion. It may be because they just don't like to see blood, nudity or strong language, or whatever else.

Me personally, here I am. Certain common violence, okay. You got most action films that are roughly the same. People fighting each other, ships blowing up ships, planes, whatever.
Action typically doesn't get to me. Some maybe, but, some might just be boring.

Language. It really depends. I mean, really really really depends. Only one movie, and one TV show so far, do I not mind language. It has to be fitting. Harry Brown is the movie. It fits. To not have strong language, it would defeat the movie. It also has to be a good movie or show as well.
Shows like Chapelle, Mind of Mencia, most other comedians that use the F word, sh, etc etc, talk about sex, um...gross and a total turn off.
I can only take a few minutes before I am just turned off by all of the F words, etc, and the sex talk, and the sexual stuff they put into their jokes. It just gets to be too much.

Blood. I hate seeing it, mostly because it sort of grosses me out. It just does.

I think you get the point.

On the other hand, I can see why ratings may not work. Like I said, not a fan of language, but the "Harry Brown" movie had a lot, and I found it fitting.

It's one of those things where you just have to look at the rating and see if it's something you even want to try out.

"hmm. strong language. I'll play it, and see how it goes. turn it off if I think it's just too much and the movie is stupid.

"strong amount of blood and gore. - um...yeah...........I don't think so. had a hard enough time with "zombieland." funny movie, but yeah, it gets gross."

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2012, 11:34:33 PM »
You must be talking with someone else, because I don't have movie listings in my profile.

Sorry, I should've clarified, I was responding to TechPro.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2012, 09:10:47 AM »
In that case, Techpro wasn't necessarily referring to foul language or violence specifically, and more importantly, he wasn't speaking of them to the extremes you've implied IHateHackers. For example, he HAS seen Avengers, and as I understand it, he enjoyed it, but I'll let him get more specific if he so desires on that point.

He has also seen a lot of other movies that fit similar categories of "foulness" (if you will), like the first three Spiderman movies, Men In Black, Tron Legacy, Indiana Jones, more than one Trek movie (and consequently, series), Avatar, and probably other, even better, examples, so it's not as if he avoids it entirely. A better word for it is that he strives to keep it a minimum, as do I.

And as for how often we both visit the theaters, part of it is due to "foulness," but a greater part of it is due to expense and practicality reasons and so on. Sometimes it's just easier and more cost-effective to wait for it to go to video, get it on Netflix, and THEN watch it.

But yes, there are a lot of Disney movies in the house. No shame in that.

As for whether or not one can achieve greatness due to exposure to garbage, it depends on a variety of factors, mostly on the type of person, and the extent of garbage they are exposed to. Again, through personal experiences I will not go into detail on here, I know one can be exposed to a certain degree of garbage and still succeed in life. This is fact no matter how you look at it, and it cannot be denied. The issue, though, is that the garbage can build up and lead you to bury yourself even more garbage that I can see appalling even the non-religious, or those with, shall we say, a higher tolerance for "foulness" than others might such as yourself, IHateHackers, and THEN you're in trouble, if not SERIOUS trouble (it depends).

So it's my opinion that so long as you can keep yourself from reaching those extremes, you can get by if not more (again, it depends on the situation), although it is also my opinion that it is safer to keep a distance from "foulness" rather than to constantly toe the line, and test your limits.

That's my insights on the matter.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 09:17:49 AM by Scyphi »
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets