Author Topic: DescentiaPedia offline... again  (Read 26280 times)

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
Re: DescentiaPedia offline... again
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2013, 04:07:41 PM »
If I knew how to do a clean up, I'd love to do that.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2014, 11:17:03 AM »
So...been awhile, and I'm curious, any plans to revive DescentiaPedia again, WillyP?

I ask, because for a project I may be working on in the near future, I'm going to have to be reviewing my Descent continuity, and I figure I might as well compile it for the reference of others while I'm at it.

But if there aren't any revival plans at present, that's okay too. :)
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2014, 04:38:17 PM »
It will be a big project to remove all those users and I would need to insure that new ones aren't registering while I was doing it. Instead my ultimate plan would be to use the article system here, even though that isn't a wiki. If you like to post articles, let me know and I'll set you up.

Also, Reactor is going offline on Feb. 10, due to a server upgrade that will break the script it runs on. That shouldn't be too hard to fix, but I want to move that to Articles also.

For now, I am concentrating on my business site which also runs on the same script as Reactor (NucleusCMS) and that one I'm upgrading it to MODx CMS, as well as redesigning it to be mobile device friendly.

But honestly, I've been dragging my heals on DescentiaPedia because I'm not looking forward to removing, one at a time some... uhm what was it, like 40,000 or so... spam registrations.

Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2014, 09:11:35 PM »
WillyP can't you just do some raw database calls to remove the users? Surely that would be way faster, even it takes some studying.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2014, 08:29:36 AM »
Yes I thought of that and it is something I need to look into. And maybe the newest version will have better user management.

Is it better to have it as a separate wiki, than to have it integrated here in the article system?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 08:31:47 AM by -<WillyP>- »
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2014, 09:42:01 AM »
It depends on which you'd prefer doing WillyP, since you're the guy that's making it happen. But I'll admit using the article system would mean it's on-site, and thus easier to find by those who'd be interested in it.

Speaking of...Reactor's still up? Then where the devil is it? Because I haven't seen any sign of it in quite some time, no links, no nothin'. I was under the impression you had taken it down ages ago.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets