Author Topic: Fathers and offspring  (Read 6181 times)

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
Fathers and offspring
« on: June 17, 2012, 12:21:52 PM »
Yes, this is a Father's Day posting.  And why not?  We all have at least one, like it or not.  Some good, some bad.  Some more absentee, some there too much.  Some big, some small.  Just like the rest of us, Fathers come in all shapes, sizes, and colors ... and you almost never get to choose.

I could sing the praises of Fathers, I could rant and rave about the flaws of many fathers these days, and I could go to very long lengths about the poor example that Hollywood and Television usually portrays fathers (want an example of a terrible father? Watch just about any sitcom or action show).  But what would that accomplish?

If you are a Father, or if you expect to someday be a Father, I urge you to be loving, kind, forgiving, loving, forgiving some more ... and always be consistent.  Always stick to what you say you're going to do, if you say there will be consequences ... stick to it.  Make a promise, do your best to always keep it.  Don't let your child get away with stuff ā€¯because he's young" or because you don't want to make him/her unhappy.  Show your child you love them by being firm and teaching your child that you care enough to be trying to help the child become more.  At the same time, be interested in what he/she is interested in, even if you don't understand it, and give them room for self expression.

Love comes from the heart, not from the wallet.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
Re: Fathers and offspring
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 03:19:11 AM »
Some good thoughts there, and I agree on both counts... firm, absolute, but loving and forgivfull*. They are not mutually exclusive.

* Is that a word? If not, it is now. ;)
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 06:26:53 AM »
...firm, absolute, but loving and forgiving. They are not mutually exclusive.

Even though the kids might tell you otherwise :P.  When they get older they'll thank you for it.
I can speak from experience -- as someone who has a father :P.

Offline Foil

• Gold
  • "I've never seen its equal."
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 06:39:45 AM »
I became a father about four years ago, and I'm learning a lot of this as I go along.  So far, I'm finding that the above is 100% true.  :)

...and yes, I think "forgivfull" should be a word.  ;)

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 11:02:53 AM »
I'd try spelling it "forgiveful" though, just so it's consistent with typical English spellings of similar words. :P

Techpro's advice is tested and tried and proven to be very effective. Trust me, I'd know. ;)
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 12:52:37 PM »
What does English care about consistency? ;D

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 06:00:25 PM »
Techpro's advice is tested and tried and proven to be very effective. Trust me, I'd know. ;)
Ah shucks [...blush...]  :)

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 03:02:43 AM »
I think I had a dream about my dad, third time in a row.
Sometimes I wonder what my dad would think of me, or anyone else, if he was still alive.

But anyways, hopefully you all had a fun Fathers Day;

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 10:19:10 AM »
What does English care about consistency? ;D

Ha, good point. English has never been very consistent with itself, so why should this matter? :P

"Forgiveful" just looks better to me than "forgivfull," though.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2012, 11:40:36 AM »
And "forgiving" is actually an adjective, even though most "ing" words are verbs.  It means the same thing.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2012, 03:19:12 PM »
Hey, WillyP came up with the word, not me. :P
Check out my deviantART

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets