Author Topic: Spreadfire and Helix overheating-like effect?  (Read 7646 times)

Offline Naphtha

• Silver
Spreadfire and Helix overheating-like effect?
« on: May 30, 2012, 06:52:20 PM »
Something I only started noticing after rebuying Descent 2 was that the Helix Cannon sometimes produces fewer than five shots per round in a dogfight, and I think it's mostly because I'm strafing left and right a lot.  I didn't really get to notice it much with the Spreadfire because I usually only use that for one or two levels in "Counterstrike," but I definitely remember parts in "The Lost Levels" where even the modded Spreadfire Cannon created only one or two shots instead of three.

Thing is, I'm not sure if that's a glitch in the programming (if it helps, I've noticed it with both DOSBox and Rebirth) or an intended side effect to make it seem like the ship is on the verge of overheating.  Has anyone else noticed this, and is there a way to fix it?
First Lieutenant for the Red Dragons in the Descent Rangers. Join our ranks today!

Offline CrazyEnzo03

• Gold
  • Just who the hell do you think I am?
Re: Spreadfire and Helix overheating-like effect?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 03:18:45 PM »
I've never heard of it.

Unless there are just so many objects in the level that only a few shots are making it out? ???
Some people are like Slinkies. They aren't really good or even useful for anything but they always manage to put a little smile on your face when you give them enough of a push down the stairs.

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 04:54:21 PM »
I've been trying to duplicate this problem and that has proven difficult ... Without artificially adjusting the keyboard or mouse/trigger repeat rate.  Get the wrong repeat rate and bingo! The helix and spreadfire start 'stuttering'.  It also happens when whatever you're using for the trigger (key on keyboard, mouse button, joystick trigger) has a flakey switch.

Check your Dosbox keyboard setting, Rebirth settings, your OS keyboard settings, etc. and somewhere there is something messing with the repeat rate, be it software, OS, or program settings ... Or physical switch issue.

Offline Wraith-1

• Silver
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2012, 06:47:32 PM »
I've seen this while using the "WILDFIRE" cheat, it looks like it's caused by too many objects in the level. Not too surprising considering the age of the engine.

More RAM might lessen the problem, but even my computer with 1GB of ram has a ridiculous amount of memory compared to the machines of 1996.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 06:24:15 AM »
I remember having this problem when I play the game in Dosbox.  The sounds for really rapid firing weapons (like vulcan or plasma) also occasionally cut out for about 2 seconds and then it tries to catch up resulting in a deafening boom :P.

I've never had the problem in D2X-XL or Rebirth.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 10:49:10 AM »
Oh, okay, I think I know what you guys are talking about. If so, then I think it is just a rendering thing, and will vary from computer to computer, as that's how it's worked for me when I've (infrequently) seen it. I think my old laptop did this fairly often, in fact, but I haven't played Descent on it in quite awhile.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 05:57:27 PM »
Oh, okay, I think I know what you guys are talking about. If so, then I think it is just a rendering thing, and will vary from computer to computer, as that's how it's worked for me when I've (infrequently) seen it. I think my old laptop did this fairly often, in fact, but I haven't played Descent on it in quite awhile.
Unless I'm mistaken, you haven't turned it on in quite a while, either.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, 08:34:50 PM »
Hmm... this comment is intruiging... it brings a question to mind... a question that is none of my business but my curiosity demands it anyway.
Must.... resist... must not... let... it... eat me...

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 05:37:49 AM »
The answer to that question is 42.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2012, 10:13:45 AM »
Actually, the real answer is 'yes, I haven't turned on said old laptop in awhile now.' Why need to when I've got this much faster, better, new laptop? :D

I keep it around though, because every now and then I remember there's something on it that I need that I forgot to transfer off of it. That, and it'll run a few old programs (namely Wave Lab Light, but I haven't needed that recently either, thankfully) that the new laptop won't, or isn't likely to run it very well.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2012, 11:39:00 AM »
Actually, the real question was, "who paid for the old laptop?" :P.

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2012, 09:12:27 PM »
Actually, the real question was, "who paid for the old laptop?" :P.
Really?  Is that all?  Scyphi paid for both laptops.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2012, 01:55:35 PM »
Out of my own pocket. :)

First one I got preowned as part of a surplus sale though, for only like seventy-five bucks (if memory serves...it was definitely less than a hundred). With that in mind, that first laptop preformed well, considering. It was just that the time came that I needed a better system, so I got laptop #2.

Not that any of this is relevant to the topic...
Check out my deviantART

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets