Author Topic: Primary Gmail account on phone deleted...  (Read 3050 times)

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
  • Former undertaker; current overtaker.
Primary Gmail account on phone deleted...
« on: May 12, 2012, 02:23:27 AM »
When I got my HTC EVO 4G on 7/20/10, I set it up with... let's call it "sir-spammed-a-lot@gmail.com" and that addy was synced up to shoot an alert to my phone with the Gmail app. Well, I created another email address earlier this year because this one was getting too riddled with spam.

Now, I use email for a variety of things, but the most important purpose email serves to me is for notifications. I got the idea to create 4 additional email addresses:

- one for breaking local news & weather,
- one for forum responses,
- one for commercial subscriptions and online purchase receipts,
- and one for... *ahem* ...dating site notifications...  8) ...yeah...

Reason being is because having all those emails synced to my phone, I can assign a different ringtone to each email address so I audibly know what's coming. (Any notifications I get from here have the extra life SFX to the email addy I assigned to this site. It's so cool!) Well, after having ALL these email addresses, I tried removing the primary account email, "sir-spammed-a-lot@gmail.com" from my list of synced email addresses, but it said that I had to wipe my phone to get rid of it. I was like, okay fine, I'll delete it directly from Google, and it'll magically disappear.

WELL, I deleted it directly from Google, and it's still there. In searching of how to get rid of it, I came across a forum that said that if I was to reset my phone, ALL my apps that I purchased will be deleted, and a system wipe is the only way around this.

Does ANYONE know ANY WAY around this? Perhaps I should just visit a Sprint store, yeah?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 02:28:19 AM by Alieo »
I like to think I have a Descent taste of music.

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
Re: Primary Gmail account on phone deleted...
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2012, 07:36:32 AM »
I'd suggest a verizon store ;)

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2012, 10:49:03 AM »
that may be the only way, but I thought you could back up your apps.
I have wiped it out myself without backup and was still able to redownload apps without purchase.
but before you do a non-backup, use your own risk with that.

only thing I can think of.

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2012, 02:53:09 PM »
By Verizon store, I meant buy an android :P

I don't know man, there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to delete it, other than them being dumb.

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
  • Former undertaker; current overtaker.
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2012, 06:05:25 PM »
It IS an Android phone. Are you thinking of Droids? Cuz those are at Verizon.

It's all moot now. It's been wiped. Lost everything, all my apps, my finance history tracker... it's all gone. I had to start over AND purchase some apps again.

On the plus side, my almost 2 year old phone runs like a brand new phone!  8)

Word to the wise, just because you use a new email account in Gmail and have no purpose to use the other one, just disable sync and notifications. DON'T do what I did and log into it from a computer and delete it. That when things start going wrong. I got it all set up the way I want now, and I'm happy. I'm just a bit anal about keeping things uniform and this is what it got me.  ::)
I like to think I have a Descent taste of music.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets