Author Topic: (Old biblical?) story about 1 friend in jail/held back awaiting the 2nd 2 return  (Read 2992 times)

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
I'm not sure how to write up that topic, sorry. This may have been a biblical story, or just an old one.
Real or not, if this sounds familiar, let me know.

I want to say I heard it like this:

One person was sentenced to go to jail. This guy either had to do something, or what, but the other friend said he will stay back until the other returned, knowing that the sentenced man will return.

sound like anything?

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
No idea.  It sounds vaguely familiar but common fable plots are really really difficult to tell apart without more details.  Try to remember more :P.

And from now on when I write that word you must pronounce it the british way.  Which word?  Think about it.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
Sounds to me like you're thinking of the story of Joseph from the Old Testament (y'know, Joseph and the coat of many colors, that Joseph?) There was a point in the story were Joseph's in jail, but through his actions enables a fellow cellmate in jail to go free, that cellmate promising to help Joseph get out of jail too, but forgot about Joseph for a number of years before repenting suddenly when circumstances enable Joseph to come to the forefront of his attention again.

If you have a bible handy to check for yourself, the whole story of Joseph is covered in Genesis chpts 37-50, but the point of the story where this transpires is in chapter 40, and technically on into 41 as well.

Hope that helps.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
Sounds more like he is saying, someone held in a prison as hostage for the other's return, who had to go accomplish some task, or fetch some artifact... Sounds like a common movie meme, though I can't quite put my finger on what movie(s) this plot was used in.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
Sounds to me like you're thinking of the story of Joseph from the Old Testament (y'know, Joseph and the coat of many colors, that Joseph?) There was a point in the story were Joseph's in jail, but through his actions enables a fellow cellmate in jail to go free, that cellmate promising to help Joseph get out of jail too, but forgot about Joseph for a number of years before repenting suddenly when circumstances enable Joseph to come to the forefront of his attention again.

If you have a bible handy to check for yourself, the whole story of Joseph is covered in Genesis chpts 37-50, but the point of the story where this transpires is in chapter 40, and technically on into 41 as well.

Hope that helps.

that 'may' be it. I remember this last girl I was with, talking about Joseph and his coat. but she is long gone, can't ask her. I can look it up, see if it rings a bell. I wish I knew what it was all about.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
Well, it's the only story I can think of that fits the biblical aspect, so if that's not it, I would hazard to guess it's not from the bible.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets